What's new

BDP-S300 crashed again for second time in three weeks, have a tech question... (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Okay, excuse the fact that i'm hopping mad about my player breaking down three weeks ago, sending it to Sony for repair, getting it back and having it crash for a second time right in the middle of The Happening (could be argued that the film was so bad it killed my player but I digress).

I'm actually angry because I contacted Sony and pretty much said that I want either my money back or a new player and they won't do either, they said my only option is to send it in for repair again.

So basically what they're saying is that if this lemon breaks down 20 times I have no alternative but to keep sending it in 20 times to get fixed? :angry:

Now that i've vented, i'm actually looking for a little knowledge on the inner workings of a BD player, specifically the BD driver and optical pick-up...are they one and the same or are they independant of one another?

I ask because on the repair invoice it says that they replaced the BD driver but made no mention of the optical pick-up which is what I think is the problem because that bastard Panasonic A110 from a few years ago exhibited the same problem (if I knew where that player was today I would hunt it down and rip it's pick-up assembly out with my bare hands and mount it on the wall, just saying it's name makes my right eye twitch).

If they are seperate things, I suspect that they repaired the wrong thing. I actually would like information here so that I can print it out and send it along with the player so that whomever works on it does a better job this time.

Thanks, guys. :emoji_thumbsup:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Just be sure to take Michael and Samir with you when you carry that A110 out to the field.

Have you checked your firmware since getting it back?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

"Back up in yo ass wit da resurrection..." hehe.

A few weeks ago I performed the firmware upgrade on it to 4.20 and the repair invoice said that they also upgraded it to 4.20.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Thing is, sometimes it's the firmware updates that cause the problems. Some have been known to have bugs in them. What's the last firmware you did before the problem? Back the firmware down before that point and you may fix what's wrong. Above all, I do hear ya. It's ridiculous we even have to do things like firmware updates. At the prices they ask these players should be hitting the market fully featured and ready to go. Sometimes I feel like we're doing R&D for these companies.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Did you happen to see Family Guy this Sunday? There was a great take-off of that scene from Office Space. LOL!!

I have had a couple freezes on my S300 while playing SD-DVDs, but so far, the two BDs I've put in have played fine.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The last update I did was the 4.20 and the player worked fine for at least 3 weeks before the first crash, it was 3.95 before that I believe. I had heard about BD players being open to viruses however I would think evidence of such a catastrophy would be evident the moment you install the upgrade?

Also of note, I did experience a couple of freeze-ups when the player had the 3.95 firmware on it so I think that the problem was there already and got worse, I fixed those by unplugging the player and recycling the power supply.

The problem with me restoring the older firmware is that the player will no longer load discs so I can't even get the 3.95 disc I made to load in order to fix it and this player has no internet connection.

Yes I did see that, Clinton it was hilarious and i'm a huge fan of Office Space.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks