What's new

BDP-S300 audio out (1 Viewer)

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up the S300 and I had an audio question. I have an Outlaw A/V processor with direct 5.1 input and no HDMI input. Is there a significant advantage of the direct 5.1 over the digital input?

On another note, how can you tell if your display is 24p capable because I just picked up the Misubishi 65732 DLP?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Brett.....go to projectorcentral.com and under FIND PROJECTORS (near the top somewhere) click that and find your projector. Then click on the model and you get a chart, which lists what type of 1080p signals are listed.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since your receiver doesn't have HDMI then yes there is an advantage to using the multichannel output - the player will do the conversion of the newest formats and pass them as analog. Via standard digital (optical or coax) you will get downmixed versions of Dolby True HD and dts-HD MA, and cannot pass lossless PCM mixes.

One downside to the analog with this player I heard was that this player has no bass management though, can someone confirm or correct that statement?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
dOES ANYONE KNOW IF the new Sony player BDP-S300 can be upgraded later with a firmware update for the new Dolby True HD or DTS-hd?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It can be just like the BDPS1. The specs for the player even state Dolby True HD.

Yes. It's called uncompressed PCM. Nearly all BR discs have it and it's WAY better than normal Dolby Digital or DTS.

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
In answer to Bob Siegels question, from my readings over the web, there is no firmware upgrade at this time to have the player decode the two high definition codecs you seek to listen too. IMHO, the whole handling of audio on the high definition formats has been confusing to say the least. This does not mean there might be a firmware upgrade in the future.

Leo

Second Unit
I found this thread in my search too and was wondering about the BDP-S300 to pass uncompressed PCM via 5.1 analog inputs on my NAD T163 pre/pro. Since my T163 doesn't have HDMI and I'm wanting to enjoy the uncompressed audio from BD I was wondering if this player would fit the bill or should I look at another Blu-Ray player? I currently have a PS3 but of course they neglected us with the 5.1 output via analog. Any responses are appreciated.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer

First of all to Gary, thanks for the response. Leo, not to send you to another brand, but I just purchased the new Panasonic player DMP-BD30K 2 days ago. The unit is great, and it does pass PCM 5.1 through the 5.1 out, plus this is the first player that is BD 1.1 capable and also sends DTS Master and Dolby True via the HDMI connection when you upgrade the receiver (which I am looking to do after I pay this off). I've used the player for the weekend and it produces a stunning hd picture on my projector. The unit has pretty fast loading time, a nice remote that is layed out very well, all in all I am very happy. I was going to wait for the Samsung bd-u5000 combi player but it keeps getting delayed and should the unit become available within my 30 day return period on the Panny, I will have to think very hard on what to do, because I really like this Panasonic alot, maybe I would just get the hd-dvd XA2, because I would like to have Reon HQV processing for my dvd collection, which the combi player from Samsung has, but I like this Panny, it's a quality blu player, but it depends on your budget, it's 100.00 more than the Sony is going for now, but with the Panny you can play all of the upcoming discs with pic-in-pic, ect.

If you have any questions about it, feel free to private message me. I would also assume the Sony does this but I don't know, I would also assume that they will have a firmware update for it, one would hope anyway.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hey Leo, I also don't think you can go wrong with the Panasonic BD30, it's a solid BD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks