BD-ROM vs HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DavidK, Nov 13, 2003.

1. DavidK

DavidK Extra

All,
    I thought everyone might want to read the following very interesting article about the looming decision of the DVD Froum on whether to adopt either the HD-DDV or BD-ROM (BlueRay) standard: Enjoy!.

http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20031113S0028

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

3. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

If HD-DVD (formerly AOD) uses Corona as its pre-recorded video codec then it would stand a far better chance of beating Blu-ray. What I want to see is whether or not HD-DVD can record on a dual-layer disc. Since the Blu-ray group has already shown working unit's that could record on dual-layer Blu-ray discs it should be important to the DVD Forum to show that HD-DVD can do it too.

If the Blu-ray group really wanted to undercut the DVD Forum they should add either Corona or H.264 to the pre-recorded specs for Blu-ray. They should also quickly come out with bare recordable discs, in both write-once and rewritable formats, to show that their recordable disc's can work without a cartridge.

My opinion is that Blu-ray still looks the most likely to win since it has some of the largest manufacturer's on earth supporting it. Hollywood will not care at all between Blu-ray and HD-DVD as long as both use expensive and hard to break encryption. The biggest selling points for Blu-ray will be that, if both can record to dual-layer discs, Blu-ray could record 6 hours of HDTV (54 GB) while HD-DVD could only record 4 hours (36 GB). The DVD Forum's biggest selling point will be that HD-DVD discs are cheaper then Blu-ray's, which will only work if they can sell them cheaper.