What's new

BD import info: any one-stop web sites? (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
It appears that importing BD's is becoming increasingly common, what with Amazon (U.S.) and others now offering such titles for sale. The domestic option can be very appealing, so far as simplifying returns, and will likely increase impulse purchases.

I've ordered a few imports in the past, both HD and BD, but only for a few titles that I had to have. As with so many people, I don't have hours to spend surfing and researching the many appealing titles that are cropping up around the globe.

For instance, I just tripped across the 2003 release of 'Peter Pan' on Amazon (U.S.). Of course Amazon, being who they are, don't list the country of origin. I went to Amazon UK, and they don't list it at all. I went to several sites that I have bookmarked for reviews (here and abroad), and none of them have reviews for it posted.

See where I'm coming from with this inquiry?

Does anybody out there know of one, two or even three (anything would be better than the needle-in-a-hay-stack, shotgun approach), that concentrate on BD import titles for the North American market?

It would be great to have a sort of clearing-house, with review links, user input such as reports of glitches encountered on U.S. market players, etc..

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
David, you might check out Xploited Cinema, see if they have anything left. I bought a few Blu-rays from them. Capricorn One, Dune, and The Neverending Story.
The bad news, is they are going out of business, so they are only selling what they have left.
They are very fast, and the price isnt to bad...for imports.

erkkimies

Auditioning
Real Name
erkki kekkonen

Yep its quite annoying to see some movie there and when you start looking for reviews its hard as hell to find.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies folks, but it's not that title in particular that matters, it was just one example. It's the state of things, generally finding reliable information on BD import discs. I know of several places to buy them, but I'm not willing, at those general prices, to take a blind shot. My original point, and question, was if anybody here is aware of web sites that focus heavily on reporting about BD imports.

It's fairly easy to find information about the few high profile titles, such as Tim Burton's 'Batman', etc., but not the bulk of available titles.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I rely mostly on 2 sources for import Blu-Ray info.

Kannisto's thread at High-Def Digest has links in Post #1 to imports broken down by region (Japan, France, Germany, UK and Nordic). Info is added where available as to whether the disc is locked or region free, as well as available store links.

Info on import Blu-ray titles - High-Def Digest Forums

and I use the following for region free/locked info:

Blu-Ray Region Code Info

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Great info here. Just stumbled on this.

I wish Amazon US would just sell region free discs on their site.

Region coding should just be eliminated.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Back with DVD, I didn't have to worry about the region coding after getting the Oppo. Now, it's like going through the same thing with BDs until region-free players are readily available.

Amazon had actually been selling quite a few region-free BD imports like "In Bruges" until recently. However, certain U.S. copyright owners issued a cease and desist to Amazon since they may issue a Region 1 release in the future.

This post from an Amazon distributor at high-def digest forums explains further:

Message from '101 Distribution' and info about In Bruge BR on/off Amazon - High-Def Digest Forums

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
HTF used to have a sub-forum for other region titles, but it never got much traffic. However, if you're looking for titles out of th UK, try AmazonUK. I've had great luck with them as well as Amazon France (where I got the stunning French edition of Dune).

If you're into Asian titles, as well as some US titles with killer packaging, start with Gary Tooze's great DVDBeaver site which has comparisons of various titles, now including blu-ray's. For retailers, try HKFlix, DVDAsian, CineEast, Sensasian or Yesasia. I've ordered from a couple of them in the past with no problems. Most of them are offering free US shipping now, which was great since I found about $200 worth of catch up titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks