What's new

BD defects- software, player or monitor? (1 Viewer)

keithling

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith Ling
A few nights ago I settled down and watched our 45th Anniversary Edition BD of The Sound of Music. While the picture was fantastic overall, there was one scene that had a very peculiar defect. The scene in question occurred in the captain's home during the party. Two of the men were wearing herringbone pattern coats. During the scene, the image of the coats developed substantial digital noise and/or visual distortion, almost like a "special effect" like they were glowing or pulsing.

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. Also, I wonder if it is a software issue, a problem with my BD player, or monitor.

I have about 15 different BDs and have never seen this problem before.

My equipment is:

Samsung LN40C630K1F 40" LCD 1020P

Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blu-Ray

Pioneer VSX-1019AH Receiver

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it reasonable to guess it's a software transfer artifact?

Anyone else have some similar issues from different BDs?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Could you supply a time point 0:00 for that scene? I can only see people with black tuxedos in that scene. Or if you mean Uncle Max's many herringbone suits, I didn't notice any glowing, but I did notice his coat would get a little off-register when he was moving around too quickly, like when he takes the glass at 1:24:12 or sits at 1:25:02. I would suggest you fiddle with your digital noise reduction settings--see what happens. But SoM, while an exceptional bluray, is never going to look optimal because the original negative is such a mess due to over-copying. Films like this and Star Wars suffer because of their own popularity and the fact that the negative would have been handled too much over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks