What's new

BCI Eclipse Closes Doors Permanently: He Man, She-Ra, Ghostbusters & Others Affected (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
In a sign of our troubling economic times, Navarre Corporation has announced that it's shutting the doors on the BCI Eclipse Company. Citing poor economic conditions, this move affects titles such Ultraman, Masters of the Universe, Bravestar, She-Ra, Ghostbusters, Cool McCool and many other classics.

While the article goes on to state other factors, it's not known whether the titles would be absorbed into some of its other companies such as their North America distributor of Funimation Entertainment, which distributes Japanese Anime.

Check out the full article here: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13949.html

edited ... posted the correct link.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
The link you provided is dead Mark, but this is definitely sad news. I hold BCI in the highest regard for making available my favorite childhood series of all time (He-Man). I wasn't really a fan of their other properties (Bravestarr, She-Ra, etc) but at least they were getting them out there for people to relive and enjoy all over again.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
This stinks; let me tell you--that Match Game dvd was one of my favorites of all time! Was so hoping for another set, and the long-rumored Hollywood Squares too. It's crazy news today--BCI is going away and all of the sudden Rhoda and the Paper Chase are coming.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to tell you that while I haven't purchased any of these titles that this is sad news. I hope that Navarre continues to distribute these shows through their remaining DVD venue, Funimation.

What many do not know is that Funimation mainly distributes Japanese anime to DVD but this wouldn't be the first time that an anime distributor has released non-anime releases. I know that Geneon Entertainment also released non-anime releases.

What I can say is that while I didn't care for the editing job and the release for Ultrman that they did, I still ended up buying both sets and still rather enjoyed them. This concerns me deeply because now that Chaiyo lost the license to the Ultraman properties and that Tsuburaya Productions got the rights to the series back through Japanese courts. Now, it looks like we might not get an authorized version of a real Ultraman DVD release.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, there'll be more information coming out in the coming days or weeks. I do know that Funimation isn't exactly forthcoming with press releases and they're unusually quiet about their release plans.

It would be nice if Navarre shifts the distribution of these TV Shows to Funimation it would definitely keep the faith of its consumers into its products.

But, if you're wanting to get a good deal on Masters of the Universe Seasons 1 and 2 while they're still available that Right Stuf has them on sale through the 21st for $24.99 each:

He Man Season 1 DVD Value Bundle (D)
He Man Season 2 DVD Value Bundle (D)

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
Terribly depressing news. I only bought one of their releases (Dungeons & Dragons) but I paid attention to everything they put out because I was so fascinated by the quality of it all. Dungeons & Dragons was a thing of beauty and the first time I have ever looked at a DVD release and thought, "This couldn't have been done better." I kept praying they would get the Marvel Comics cartoons...they needed something that was higher profile.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I just ordered a Copy of Space Acadamy & Jason of Star Command from "The Big River". If anyone wants a copy you'd better get over there and get em while the gettin's still good! :frowning:

Larry Gelfand

Premium
Real Name
Larry Gelfand

Funimation already distrubutes some TV shows such as "Degrassi: The Next Generation" and "Instant Star".

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
This still is sad news ... there probably is a good chance of Funimation continuing distribution however, don't expect there to be any new TV Shows titles announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks