What's new

BC residents - get out and vote! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
No political discussion here, just a reminder that today is voting day.

Of major importance in this election is the referendum on the Single Transferrable Vote. Please educate yourself on what this is and make an informed decision.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Assuming the BC is the one in the Great White North, but curious if you could give a brief description of what a "single transferable vote" would be....it just sounds interesting.

Mort

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
WOW....that sounds wacky (IMO)....you sure BC isn't Baja California? ;) Good luck.

Mort (who is ever amazed with stuff like this)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
People in Florida have trouble punching the right X next to their candidate's name, single transferrable voting might send droves of them to the hospital wards.

Canada is amazing, could your government pinch hit for ours sometime? Just for a couple of months? Please...

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Intriguing. I know that single-member districts were introduced in Japan in the 1920s as part of an attempt by the oligarchs of that time to reduce the degree of democracy, because they had discovered that in a district which elected multiple representatives people were liable to cast their first votes for a major-party candidate and then pick more "marginal" choices.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It was interesting watching the returns last night, which surprisingly weren't too far off the popular vote, unlike our last provincial election.

The STV didn't pass by the mandated 60%, but with 57% province wide, it demonstrates that despite many voters not fully understanding the system (which was recommended by a civilian commitee), it drew enough votes to indicate that the electorate is ready for an overhaul of the voting system. I will say that I don't think the proponents did a very good job in explaining the process, making it sound more complex and confusing than necessary. We'll see whether the newly elected government listens to the popular opinion.

This election also demonstrates the importance of casting a ballot. For those who think their votes don't count for anything, the winner of the Cariboo South district will beg to differ - the win (as it stands) was by a single vote (which, like any close race, automatically triggers a recount to verify).

I am quite pleased that voter turn out was as high as it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks