BBC R2 Limited Editon DVDs: Dracula, Dorian Gray and Baskervilles!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JulianK, Dec 13, 2001.

1. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

In the UK, BBC Learning and BBC Worldwide are releasing three vintage adaptations of classic novels:
    Count Dracula - the 1977 adaptation starring Louis Jordan
    The Picture of Dorian Gray - with Jeremy Brett and Sir John Gielgud, from 1976
    Sherlock Holmes - Peter Cushing's second version of "The Hound of the Baskervilles", from 1967
    For more information, see:
    BBC Learning

2. Richard Stammer

Richard Stammer Stunt Coordinator

Richard
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I have been waiting for this version of Dracula on DVD for a long time.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I presume these are all PAL. Sure would like Hound of the Baskersville.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Even though I can't play it on my regular system, I'll buy the Cushing Hound of the Baskervilles in a second. He's still my favorite Holmes on screen and I've never seen any of his television episodes (most of them are reportedly lost/destroyed). I can, at least, watch the DVD on the computer's DVD player.

Thanks for the information and link!

5. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Of the sixteen episodes of this 1968 series (counting the two-part "Hound of the Baskervilles" as two episodes), the BBC still hold copies of:

A Study in Scarlet

Hound of the Baskervilles (Parts 1 & 2)

The Boscombe Valley Mystery

The Sign of Four

The Blue Carbuncle

Incidentally, the BBC also hold copies of all thirteen episodes of the black and white 1965 Douglas Wilmer series, (including the episode broadcast as part of another series, "The Speckled Band"). Two episodes ("Speckled Band" and "The Illustrious Client") have been released here on VHS.

6. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

These are mighty tempting. [​IMG]
    I'm presuming these were all shot on PAL video in an AR of 4:3, with Baskervilles on the old 525-line format...?

7. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

The Cushing Holmes series was one of the BBC's first colour programmes (they started broadcasting in colour in 1967) and, like most productions of the time, was a mixture of studio PAL 625/50 video and 16mm film inserts.

All three discs will be 4:3, colour, taken from the D3 masters held by the BBC (themselves transfers of the original 2" recordings).

At the moment there's no indication that any restoration or cleanup work will be undertaken.