BBC Press Release: Ripper Street (Blu-ray) (DVD)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

RIPPER STREET
Street Date: March 12, 2013
Suggested Retail Price: DVD $29.98 ($37.48 in Canada)
Blu-ray $34.98 ($43.98 in Canada)
Length: Approx. 480 mins + bonus material / 3-disc set (DVD)/ 2-disc set (Blu-ray)
Haunted by the failure to catch London’s most evil killer, Jack the Ripper, Inspector Edmund Reid now heads up the notorious H Division – the toughest police district in London’s East End. Charged with keeping order in the blood-stained streets of Whitechapel, Reid and his men find themselves fighting to uphold justice and the rule of law; but always in the background lurks the fear of the Ripper – is he back for another reign of terror? As imitators emerge and feral gangs terrorize, Reid and his team are further drawn into the criminal underbelly of Victorian London - and their vigilance must be swift to stop those that threaten the calm of the city. Starring Matthew Macfadyen (Anna Karenina, Pride and Prejudice), Jerome Flynn (Game of Thrones), Adam Rothenberg (Alcatraz) and MyAnna Buring (Downton Abbey, The Twilight Saga). The hit series premiered in January on BBC AMERICA to critical acclaim and will return with a second season in 2014. The Los Angeles Times says Ripper Street “opens with chilling promise and ends on a decidedly modern note,” and The Hollywood Reporter says it’s a “well-acted, well-written, and compelling mystery series.” Bonus features include: 3 Inside Looks from the cast and production team; Character Profiles; “London Calling: Whitechapel,” a tour of modern Whitechapel; and “Jack the Ripper: Prime Suspect”- can modern forensic science finally solve the case of Jack the Ripper?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I was looking at Ripper Street as such I welcome input on the quality of the show.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I like it a lot. It's definitely not for the squeamish, and I liked the second season even more than the first, but I liked the police work and the early pokes into forensics a lot more than the investigations into the personal lives of the three leading men. I didn't find any of that worth pursuing, frankly. I just didn't care about their troubled love lives (and boy are they troubled!)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I bought it blind. Watched the first two episodes, and haven't watched any since.

It's not a bad show, but it didn't grab my interest. I may give it a second chance at some point.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The period look is great, the stories well-written, the characters interesting, and it's not so serialized that you can't just watch each episode as it's own case. The second season is actually better than the first season and features the Elephant Man in a couple episodes, including a very interesting take on how he really died. I don't know if the series is a keeper forever, but I get the blu-rays and then trade them back in (or you can watch on BBC On demand).

P.S. If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, you will definitely enjoy these. No detective that brilliant, but put the three leads together and you have essentially the same thing.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dynz