BBC Last of the Mohicans (1971) Region 1

Alfred_D

Grip
BBC Last of the Mohicans (1971) R1 release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Koch Vision will be releasing the Region 1 DVD of the 1971 BBC miniseries 'The Last of the Mohicans' on February 13, 07.

The series starred John Albineri, Noel Colman, Andrew Crawford. Joanna David and Kenneth Ives.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Do you have more information on this Alfred? I see that this is listed at the Koch site for preorder for $27.98, but no other info as to if it is indeed the BBC/Masterpiece Theatre version.

There was an eight part Masterpiece Theatre version hosted by Alistair Cooke and a 13 episode half-hour version syndicated later. Do you know which version will be on the DVD?

I liked this MOHICANS alot and have not seen it since the 1970's. Someone at IMDB said the original masters were destroyed. Hopefully that is not true.

It had a very memorable theme and I believe the whole show was shot on video-tape, maybe even the outdoor stuff. I am really looking forward to this. Thanks for the info, Alfred.

Alfred_D

Grip
Bob Gu said:
Do you have more information on this Alfred? I see that this is listed at the Koch site for preorder for $27.98, but no other info as to if it is indeed the BBC/Masterpiece Theatre version.

What I have is, 1) an e-mail from Koch Vision confirming that the version they are releasing is the BBC 1971 miniseries. There is no information yet anywhere on how many episode there are or how long, and 2) the IMDb poster under user comments for this specific title who claims to have seen this version originally on Masterpiece Theater.

I cannot vouch for anything else. I was unaware of a second series coming out at this time so I can't discount the possibility of confusion. If the "other" series you alluded to was not a BBC production, however, then I think it would be a good bet that this BBC series was the one airing on MT.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Now if only someone were to release the 1971 BBC version of Casanova starring Frank Finlay as well.....

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Thanks, for the clarification, Alfred. Sorry for not being clearer in my other post about the other version. The 13 part half-hour version of LAST OF THE MOHICANS that I was talking about was a re-edited version of the same 1971 BBC/MP eight episode miniseries. It was syndicated to US PBS stations a few years after the MP version aired.

Alfred_D

Grip
Thanks for the clarification. I hope, of course, that the DVD is of the original 8 episode version. I guess it will depend on which series the BBC decided to store in its archives.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Does this series follow the life of a little boy into a Mohican chief and then into his last days? If so, I still remember parts of it from the early 70's. I was born in 1971 so me still remembering this makes it a must see.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Sami, that's not the story. "The Last Of The Mohicans" follows the adventures of Natty "Hawkeye" Bumpo, set in 1757, during the French and Indian War. It's based on a novel published in 1826. Hawkeye is considered the first western hero. A civilized man who chooses to live in the wilderness. The story also popularized the capture-escape,capture-escape adventure story.

Amazon has box art up for this release of "The Last Of The Mohicans", "The Epic Mini-Series,as seen on Masterpiece Theater". It shows as a 2 disc set with a running time of 320 minutes. That running time may be wrong. The British Film Institute Book Of The Western lists LOTM as being 8 episodes at 45 minutes each or the 13 part version at 26 minutes each.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan