BBC America's Green Wing

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Scott-S, May 27, 2005.

1. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    OK, I have watched the first 2 episodes and am completely confused. Their ads tried to compare it to Dr. House and Scrubs but it is nothing like anything I have ever seen.

I would be interested in finding out what others think of this show. I am so confused by it, that I can't form an opinion. The way it is edited and the style of humor is so outrageous that my simple brain can't decide what to think.

Last nights scene with the breast strumming for about 5 minutes seemed way over the top.

2. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I've enjoyed the first two shows. In fact just yesterday I added it to my Comcast cable scheduled recording list. My take is that Green Wing is more like Scrubs, but with a British bent.

I often overlook what's playing on BBC America but a heads-up in TV Guide caught my eye.

3. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I don't usually mind being dropped right in the middle of the action with no character introductions, but this show has so many characters with so many things going on at once that I couldn't handle it and stopped watching after about half an hour. It had some funny moments, especially the incredibly weird nerdy doctor who has his badge messed with, but it wasn't funny enough to slag through trying to figure out who exactly was who in relation to the other characters.

One weird thing: apparently I can't accept Sarah Alexander in any other role than Susan from Coupling because every time she appeared on screen I would say, in my mind, "Hey that's Susan! What's she doing working in a hospital?"

4. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    What do you guys think about the way it is edited? The way it speeds up and then stops? I think this form of editing makes me feel uptight and stressed so I can't concentrate on the show. This might actually be a good thing given the completely off the wall characters.

I also think that they should have had at least one normal person on the show. Someone who sees all the weirdness. But the way it is now, everyone is so strange and nobody seems to notice.

I guess it has been a while since I watched british comedy. Maybe I'll get into it after a few more episodes.

5. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

This may be totally related to the fact that we're used to American comedy style and pacing, but imho, an hour for this type of show is too much. My pea-brain is just too used to a half-hour show, mebbe 2 or 3 simultaneous plotlines, and everything wrapped up in a tidy bow in 22 minutes.

And yes, I personally thought the varispeed film schtick was overdone. But who am I to say their style is "wrong".

I will say it sounds like the Beeb has one composer who scores music for too many shows. The underscore in this show sounded like the exact same style and instrumentation as several other shows from across the pond, including Nigella Lawson's cooking shows.

While I'm free-associating, anyone notice that Giada deLaurentis show on FoodTV is pretty much a rip off of Nigella? Single-camera film-look, shot composition, home-kitchen, similar music style,

6. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Last nights episode was ok. I like that they are making the IT guy a recurring role. He is the only one so far that is normal. Having an IT guy, the normal one is actually pretty dam funny in itself.

Also, I loved the bit about the "juice" in the locket. Pretty disgusting... but in a funny way.

Also, completely out of the blue:

Martin is Joanna's Son.

7. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I thought it was hilarious. Green Wing is on my must record/watch list.