BBC America TV rules!! (The Office and Coupling)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Phil Florian, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Howdy,
    On urging from a friend, I started PVRing a show called "Coupling" on BBCA and accidently found another show on BBCA called "The Office." I am addicted! These are two of the funniest things I have ever seen on television! For those without or have no seen these shows, "Coupling" is, for easy comparison, a British "Friends." Even one of the main sets looks like Friends, namely a couch at a bar, though this is a real bar and not a coffee house. It is about a group of men and women who talk frankly and hilariously about relationships and sex and it is quite the farce. My only complaint is an unnecessary laugh track.
    "The Office" is a mockumentary set in, appropriately, an office. Characters frequently break the fourth wall and acknowledge the presense of the camera. It deals with all the mundane things in a typical office environment, such as corporate training, downsizing, interoffice relationships, etc. It skewers all of those conventions. It is hard to describe beyond that, but it really is a hoot. They have some great uncomfortable moments to sit through, as well. There is one scene where the boss (the funniest character in the show and also the creator and writer on the show) is telling one person that she is getting the axe during downsizing. He waits a bit too long to say it is a joke and she begins to lose it. Again, hard to describe, but there are tons of scenes that make a person crawl a bit.

Can anyone else recommend other shows like this on BBCA? There are a ton of programs on there and I don't have the space to PVR them all (and I don't have the time to watch them live...easier to save and watch later).

Good stuff.

Phil

2. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

I agree, Coupling is one of the best shows on television at the moment.

3. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Phil,

The League of Gentlemen is every bit as dark and funny as The Office. They should be rerunning the third series sometime soon as it finishes up its first airing next week. Series 1 is out on dvd in the states and proudly owned by yours truly. Fantastic stuff.

Also try So Graham Norton, the talk show that the US wishes it had. Funny, funny stuff.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

What Brian said about The League of Gentleman—my wife picked up that DVD just the other day.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Series 1 of Coupling is available on R1 DVD, don't forget (discussion threads are available via search).

7. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Also, there are only 5 or 6 episodes of The Office so be prepared for withdrawl pains.

8. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I wish I could get BBC America on digital cable! [​IMG]

9. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I second the recommendation of "So Graham Norton."

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

PBS rules as well, that's where I first saw Coupling. Bored on a late night, starting flipping through the channels, stumbled upon this. It's not everyday you see something like this on PBS. [​IMG]

11. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

BBC America just completley rocks. I have my cable box set to that almost 100% of the time.

Coupling, Ground Force, Changing Rooms, Keeping Up Appearances, The Office...they're all hysterical.

I'm even starting to get addicted to Red Cap and it's great when they show the occasional Monty Python and Black Adder.

Personally, I'd love to get some of the real BBC channels over here. [​IMG]

12. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Oh, if you like Ground Force and Changing Rooms, you MUST watch Homefront in the Garden. Your jaw will drop. Nothing like seeing someone re-do a tiny English back yard to the tune of $75,000 to $100,000, give or take.

13. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Get ready for the Americanized version of COUPLING, this fall on NBC.

I like BBC America, but I hate the huge amount of commercials. GRAHAM rules!

14. John_Berger

HitG is astounding! [​IMG] I wish that I had the money to do some of those things in my backyard!

15. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

I can't believe no one has mentioned Father Ted. A twisted little comedy series about 3 priests exiled to a horrible island off the coast of Ireland. Without a doubt, the funniest show since The Simpsons (in their heyday). I love Coupling and Keeping Up Appearances, but Father Ted obliterates them. Too bad it only ran 3 seasons (the lead actor died).

Closest thing right now to the excellent writing of this show is The Office.

Of course, I don't know if BBCA is still running TED, so all this could be a moot point.

16. John_Berger

Father Ted is also a trip, but I've noticed that they don't play it very often anymore for some reason. [​IMG]

17. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

18. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

19. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Phil,

FATHER TED is indeed hysterically funny and right up your alley.

If we're ever able to get together for more than an hour I'll let you see my LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN disc. That show makes me piss blood laughing.

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer