BB or CC for my Panny 53wx42??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Neth, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Dave Neth

Dave Neth Auditioning

Well after months and months I have finally decided on the Panny 53wx42 for a variety of reasons.

Now I have to decide who to buy from.

History: I actually initially placed an order from Onecall on friday night - but have had such a hard time getting the order to complete (through absolutely NO fault of onecall) that i have finally decided to just walk down to BB or CC and hand over cash.

The problems I encountered with onecall were that my debit bank card has a 1k limit on daily purchases - so that was the first set back. Then I decided to just pay using my amex but since it is my work card and the billing address is my work address and not my delivery address they couldnt accept that either.

So enough of the hassle, even though their price is 200 cheaper delivered, I am going to either BB or CC. My question for you is, do you think I will be able to get either of them to come down at all and try to match onecall? probably not during the holiday season but what has been your experiences and do you have any tips.

and then, all things being equal, who would you buy from?

2. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

This just might be with my local BB and CC, but it was much easier to get BB to bring the price down on the tv I got.

3. Blair Lee

Blair Lee Agent

Where I live, Best Buys are almost always useless when it comes to getting help. Plus, I find their store layout to be non-conducive to good shopping. You already know what you're getting, but that's something to consider in case you have to take it back.

I decided to go with Circuit City. The salespeople were much friendlier and not even that pushy, despite the fact that they work on commission. The store was much easier to navigate and their no-hassle return policy is wonderful. Plus, for this holiday season they've extended the satisfaction guarantee through January 31st. Can't beat that!

I got them to match and beat BB's price but didn't want to try matching an online price. So YMMV.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    David,

I recently bought that TV from Best Buy in NYC. I too was going to get it from OneCall, but I wanted in-home delivery, which cost extra from them. Also, at the time, Best Buy offered a free leather recliner + free in-home delivery, so my final cost ended up being about the same.

I'm not sure about other Best Buy's, but seems like the NYC-area ones aren't as willing to haggle--or maybe it's just me. I tried to get the NYC BB to pricematch OneCall, but they wouldn't do it--it was actually only $100 difference. I did get them to knock off $50 by buying the 4-year EW, so if you were going to get an EW anyway, you can definitely use that as a bargaining chip.

FWIW, other people who bought from BB in other parts of the country recently were able to get great deals w/ some haggling. You can probably do similarly at Circuit City.

The only main differences I find between BB and CC are that CC is much more pushy, especially w/ their EW. Also, it sounds like CC's EW might be somewhat better, if that matters to you, although they might charge a little more than BB.

So I think it all depends on who'll give you the better deal--and better shopping experience. And if you want an EW anyway, then CC might get a slight edge. Oh, also, I believe CC is offering free gift cards right now.

_Man_

5. Dave Neth

Dave Neth Auditioning

Thanks everyone - just got back. CC was the store I hit up first because it was closest.

The set was selling for 1799 with a free DVD player (cheap-o 50 dollar value) - I explained the situation and they pretty much right off of the bat said they couldnt match that price.

I said ok and went and looked at x-boxes. The guy came back and said he had worked something out. They ended up knocking 100 dollars off the set and giving me a 60 dollar gift card (in place of the 50 dollar dvd player)

So all total after taxes, it was 1824.98 - as opposed to Onecall's 1598.10 - Not the greatest deal, but it includes in-home delivery and I now have 30 days to consider their EW options.

I jumped the gun and bought it without even going to BB - I was just more comfortable with the CC setup and the people. I had been to BB twice over the weekend and found the help there to be a bit hurried and less willing to even talk about haggling, let alone actually do anything. But it is the busy holiday season.

Anyway, delivery on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!

oh and I bought an xbox LOL

6. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

You should have at least tried BB. With a lot of pushing, whining, and complaining, I was recently able to get this deal from BB for $1741 (includes tax):
    Panasonic 47wx42
    4-year EW
    Panasonic RP62 DVD player
    Monster component cables
    Free recliner + ottoman
    Free delivery
    I'm sure other people have been able to get better deals, but I thought that was pretty damn good. Plus, I've had problems with the first two they delivered (actually, after a thread on this board, I figured out that my current one didn't really need returning) and they took them back no problem and with no additional charge for delivery. I should be getting the new one on the 20th. Don't be afraid to really put your foot down and tell them what you are/aren't willing to pay.
    Oh, and congrats on your purchase. The tv really does look great after some tweaking. [​IMG]

7. Dave Neth

Dave Neth Auditioning

yeah, actually now that i work this out in my head - the deal wasnt that great at all :b worse than I originally even thought it was.

If I had bought it as is when I walked in the door I would have paid 1939 and recieved a 50 dollar cheap dvd player.

As opposed to Onecall's 1598 (with curbside delivery)

As it ends up, I paid 1884 and got a 60 dollar circuit city gift card.

oh well, I was obvously anxious to get the darn thing and well, i am terrible at haggling over money (thats why i bought a saturn to drive - LOL)

regardless, Ive got a 53 incher coming to my living room in 2 days. wooo hoooo