What's new

BB Gun? Yikes! (1 Viewer)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Did you ever shoot at cans with a BB gun when you were a kid? I was sent a link to this site today, and I've got to say today's BB guns aren't quite how I remember them! 1200 rounds per minute?

Adam

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I sometimes got full cans of soda and shot them that was pretty cool. I also use to shoot aerosol cans from a distance. I couldn't imagine 1200 rounds a min.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Awesome - really awesome! I want one in the worst way, but I wonder what it costs? I'll bet not anything approaching cheap.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Adam,

With a name like Barratt you should know something about the Barrett .50 caliber rifle:

Single shot at a time, but accurate to something crazy like 5 miles.

Frederick

Second Unit
One question: What would you use this for? I never really got the BB gun thing. Are they used for sport hunting? Squirrels and such? I'd imagine they're wouldn't be much squirrel left after using that thing ...

Freddy C.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
What would you use this for? I never really got the BB gun thing. Are they used for sport hunting?

No, you don't hunt with BB guns. They don't have enough power usually to kill anything. As I kid I remember we had to put a bird down because a friend plinked it with a BB gun and broke its wing. Very sad, and we were grounded for quite some time.

We often used them to keep the cows out of the back yard as well. BBs just bounced off their skin, but stun a bit and got them moving.

BB guns are almost always about target practice. You can plink cans off your back deck and not have to worry about stray bullets flying who knows where, as the range is very limited. More extreme folks use them like paintball guns, but you need to be pretty protected for that and use low pressure.

Unlike old style pump BB rifles, today you can buy compressed air to power your weapon for faster shooting.

Here is what I use BB technology for nowadays:
Use of miniature BB guns in model ships

Frederick

Second Unit
Ah. Thanks, Danny. My cousin shot his brother in the stomach with a BB gun. It penetrated and left a nice little hole. We all freaked out because we thought he was kidding, and then his shirt started turning red. It was an accident, naturally. He "thought it wasn't loaded". Not 20 seconds earlier I was telling him not to point that thing at peoples head. I don't think it would have penetrated his skull, but if it hit him it the eye, I'd imagine that would be a bad thing ...

Freddy C.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Several years ago I attended a gun show where a dealer was trying to sell a video called "Machine Gun Magic". This video showed various machine guns, from the Thompson to a quad-4, in action. Apparently, there was (maybe still is) a place in the Arizona desert where those who have a lot of bucks to waste could go and shoot machine guns. A couple scenes fascinated me. In one, a line of shooters tried to hit a flying drone. Despite the thousands of rounds let loose, hardly any hit the drone, although eventually it was brought down. In the other scene, an old car was driven past the firing line. The car was pounded until hardly anything was left but holes, yet it wasn't until the end that it caught fire.

I haven't seen them recently (I haven't been to many gun shows recently either), but at one time you could buy an attachment for various sorts of guns, including the Ruger 10-22 and Mini-14, which, although these guns are semi-auto only, fired a round as the shooter opened and closed his trigger hand. A firing rate of 400-500 RPM could be achieved, it was claimed. I never invested as I had no use for such an attachment, other than plinking, and that would have gotten too expensive.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Several kids and people in Toronto got shot by reverse-drive-by-shooting (people are driving and 'kids' shooting them as target practice).

One of the kids lost an eye, another 5 year-old got a BB lodged in his brain. What kind of 'toy' that allow you to shoot that many ammos at that power level?

Too many people have been victimized by BB gun. They should regulate it just like regular guns.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
machine guns are fun :) had them in the family before and still do. Expensive to shoot though, and a pain in the butt to register. That doesn't apply to airguns of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks