BB Gun? Yikes!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adam Barratt, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Did you ever shoot at cans with a BB gun when you were a kid? I was sent a link to this site today, and I've got to say today's BB guns aren't quite how I remember them! 1200 rounds per minute?

Adam

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I sometimes got full cans of soda and shot them that was pretty cool. I also use to shoot aerosol cans from a distance. I couldn't imagine 1200 rounds a min.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Sometimes you could put 3 or 4 pellets in the barrel, but certainly not 1200!

4. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

Hey your going to shoot your eye out with that!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Awesome - really awesome! I want one in the worst way, but I wonder what it costs? I'll bet not anything approaching cheap.

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Haha man, looks like someone out of the Terminator series!

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Adam,

With a name like Barratt you should know something about the Barrett .50 caliber rifle:

[​IMG]

Single shot at a time, but accurate to something crazy like 5 miles.

8. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

that is crazy cool!!!! The video of the gun in action is great.

9. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Awesome!!

10. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

11. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

according to there site between $800 - almost $5000 each one hand assembled to order.

12. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

One question: What would you use this for? I never really got the BB gun thing. Are they used for sport hunting? Squirrels and such? I'd imagine they're wouldn't be much squirrel left after using that thing ...

Freddy C.

13. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

What would you use this for? I never really got the BB gun thing. Are they used for sport hunting?

No, you don't hunt with BB guns. They don't have enough power usually to kill anything. As I kid I remember we had to put a bird down because a friend plinked it with a BB gun and broke its wing. Very sad, and we were grounded for quite some time.

We often used them to keep the cows out of the back yard as well. BBs just bounced off their skin, but stun a bit and got them moving.

BB guns are almost always about target practice. You can plink cans off your back deck and not have to worry about stray bullets flying who knows where, as the range is very limited. More extreme folks use them like paintball guns, but you need to be pretty protected for that and use low pressure.

Unlike old style pump BB rifles, today you can buy compressed air to power your weapon for faster shooting.

Here is what I use BB technology for nowadays:
    Use of miniature BB guns in model ships

14. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Ah. Thanks, Danny. My cousin shot his brother in the stomach with a BB gun. It penetrated and left a nice little hole. We all freaked out because we thought he was kidding, and then his shirt started turning red. It was an accident, naturally. He "thought it wasn't loaded". Not 20 seconds earlier I was telling him not to point that thing at peoples head. I don't think it would have penetrated his skull, but if it hit him it the eye, I'd imagine that would be a bad thing ...

Freddy C.

15. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Several years ago I attended a gun show where a dealer was trying to sell a video called "Machine Gun Magic". This video showed various machine guns, from the Thompson to a quad-4, in action. Apparently, there was (maybe still is) a place in the Arizona desert where those who have a lot of bucks to waste could go and shoot machine guns. A couple scenes fascinated me. In one, a line of shooters tried to hit a flying drone. Despite the thousands of rounds let loose, hardly any hit the drone, although eventually it was brought down. In the other scene, an old car was driven past the firing line. The car was pounded until hardly anything was left but holes, yet it wasn't until the end that it caught fire.

I haven't seen them recently (I haven't been to many gun shows recently either), but at one time you could buy an attachment for various sorts of guns, including the Ruger 10-22 and Mini-14, which, although these guns are semi-auto only, fired a round as the shooter opened and closed his trigger hand. A firing rate of 400-500 RPM could be achieved, it was claimed. I never invested as I had no use for such an attachment, other than plinking, and that would have gotten too expensive.

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Alan,
    The place I know where people turn money into spent casings is at www.knobcreekshoot.com . Too expensive for me but there's always the wanna-bees that seem to have lots of extra cash floating around.

17. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Several kids and people in Toronto got shot by reverse-drive-by-shooting (people are driving and 'kids' shooting them as target practice).

One of the kids lost an eye, another 5 year-old got a BB lodged in his brain. What kind of 'toy' that allow you to shoot that many ammos at that power level?

Too many people have been victimized by BB gun. They should regulate it just like regular guns.

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

machine guns are fun [​IMG] had them in the family before and still do. Expensive to shoot though, and a pain in the butt to register. That doesn't apply to airguns of course.