Bay Of Angels - aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Thomas T, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I picked up Jacques Demy's marvelous Bay Of Angels on DVD today. When I got home I noticed the back jacket stated the ratio is 1.66. I was sure this was a scope film but I hadn't seen it in decades and perhaps my memory was playing tricks.

I looked at my copy of Carr and Hayes Wide Screen Movies which has a comprehensive list of film in scope and sure enough it is listed as being filmed in the CinemaScope process. I then check the IMDb where they also said it was filmed in the CinemaScope process but here's the kicker!

They also list a 1.66 ratio in addition to a 2.35 ratio!

Could this film possibly have been shot in both formats? It seems terribly unlikely since films were only shot in "flat" and scope processes in the early days of CinemaScope, 1953 and 1954. Bay is a 1963 release.

After putting the film on, it sure looks more like 1.78 than 1.66. It's great to have it in my collection and the film doesn't look "wrong" in the present aspect ratio but clarification would be reassuring.

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I projected BAY OF ANGELS. It is indeed intended for 1.66 presentation.

It is likely that Carr and Hayes are confusing it with the film Jacques Demy made right next to it, LOLA with Anouk Aimee, which is black and white CinemaScope.

3. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

I am also curious about this issue, as this DVD is high on my wishlist.

I have researched this & don't have an answer. According to the Widescreen Museum, Bay of Angels/La Baie des anges was definitely filmed in CinemaScope (toward the end of the CinemaScope era).

It appears it was also filmed in 1.66:1, but I wonder why Wellspring didn't do an anamorphic transfer of the CinemaScope aspect ratio (2.35:1 in this case)?? Perhaps Agnès Varda (Demy's widow) decided to restore the "flat" instead of the 'Scope elements.

Anyone??

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Hmmmm ..... Well, I suppose it's possible that the Carr and Hayes resource book (they didn't confuse it with Lola which is listed as filmed in the Franscope process), Widescreen Museum and the IMDb could all be wrong but the fact the the IMDb list both a 2.35 CinemaScope ratio and 1.66 ratio does indicate that it may well have been filmed in both formats. My memory (such as it is) seems to remember a scope production.

It could be a case of the similar Fox release of The Big Trail where they opted to release the flat version as opposed to the 70 millimeter version on DVD. I would have preferred the scope version of Bay but as long it is the 1.66 and not a P&S, I can live with it.