What's new

Batttlestar Gallactica - The Original Series (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Great News!!! The original BSG coming to blu-ray in 2013. I am looking at my Blood and Chrome BD and here is the advertisement for the original BSG picture and all the movie that launched a phenomenon! That is what is states and below a picture of the cover of the BD. The cover looks just like the last cover of the movie that was put out during the second shows run. I cannot wait. No dates on the release just 2013.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
What advertisement is that? And are we talking about a release of the whole series on Blu-Ray or just the cut theatrical version of the pilot? If it's the latter, I'll pass since that's not the version I like to watch.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, it's the theatrical version of the pilot that is being released on Blu-ray. The cover picture is the exact same one that was used on the DVD cover of the theatrical movie. The ad says 'The original movie that launched a phenomenom.'

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Which isn't accurate advertising because it was the original TV length premiere that launched the series. The theatical cut was done after the series was canceled in fact.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jack is correct and I saw the movie in the theater after the show went off the air. The movie was all we had for years of the show. I will support it and if cheap buy at least two copies. Best Buy will support the release as they do all things Galactica I am sure. Blood and Chrome is not that bad. I rather enjoyed it.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
The theatrical film was released in July 1978 in Canada, Western Europe, and Japan.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I will not be surprised if the complete series is released on Blu-ray before the end of 2013. 2013 is the 35th anniversary of the premiere of Battlestar Galactica.
In a year when Paramount is releasing Star Trek Into Darkness, and Disney has announced production of new Star Wars films after purchasing Lucasfilm, Universal must realize the value of Battlestar Galactica and its cult following.
I prefer the extended TV version over the theatrical film, but I will definitely purchase the theatrical film on Blu-ray and the series whenever it is released.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Timothy E said:
I will not be surprised if the complete series is released on Blu-ray before the end of 2013.  2013 is the 35th anniversary of the premiere of Battlestar Galactica. In a year when Paramount is releasing Star Trek Into Darkness, and Disney has announced production of new Star Wars films after purchasing Lucasfilm, Universal must realize the value of Battlestar Galactica and its cult following. I prefer the extended TV version over the theatrical film, but I will definitely purchase the theatrical film on Blu-ray and the series whenever it is released.
You bring up great points that I had not thought of. Thanks for giving all of us old fans hope. Now all we need is the date for the release of the movie. I want it all even BSG 1980 included. I also liked the clips of the new series on B&C in BD. I just cannot buy the series over again. I only bought Razor twice. I sure would like it in HD but man the cost is to high. The up converts look good on my system. Well we know the movie is coming and with the flyer showing cover art already on blu-ray box i hope it is soon. B&C also had the Universal 100 years intro to the movie which could be why Galactica is being restored. I would also love the Sience Fiction Channel biography of the original included in the series package. I am sure glad I kept that recording. The out takes on the old show were the best extras i have ever encountered on any movie or TV series on my big cylon box dvd. I remember going to the local theater to watch the movie in the sensouroud sound. The movie coming out here after the show was canceled.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
younger1968 said:
Gee, this sounds very similar to Lorelei Signal. Return of Pegasus again would have been a great episode! Let's face some facts the later episode started go different direction with less emphasis on the Cylons and more on finding earth. There were some strange episodes on the alliance that had me wonder what direction the show was heading. The show always emphasize the lost tribes, but the Gallactica encounter many planets that had links to the colonies. Baltar was a key figure, but his role seem diminish near the end of the show. There was a great episode were Baltar! Gallactica 1980 had a chance to pick up were Battlestar gallactica left off, but failed. Yes, i like the early episodes when gallactica found earth and they went back in time, but some of the other episodes were really bad!!
john colicos was a great actor. i watched him as a guest star on Hawaii five-0. i hope they re release the original series on single sided discs. colicos was also kor in the original star trek series and reprised the role on deep space nine. tom de santo and bryan singer were going to do a movie for fox television. it was suggested that ian mc kellen was going to be adama and the movie starts with a figure standing on the bridge of the galactica smoking a cigar, dirk benedict was going to be in it. they were going to combine both young and old like dallas has done. it is still great to have seen Larry hagman as J.r. Ewing.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i was hoping that the tele movies would be released on dvd. mission galactica the cylon attack has footage that never aired on television. conquest of earth is mixed together from the original battlestar galactica and galactica 1980 and has extended footage of the new cylon raider.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
kingfish said:
i was hoping that the tele movies would be released on dvd. mission galactica the cylon attack has footage that never aired on television. conquest of earth is mixed together from the original battlestar galactica and galactica 1980 and has extended footage of the new cylon raider.
Those two weren't tele-movies but cuts that were released theatrically overseas. The 12 tele-movies were: Battlestar Galactica, Lost Planet of The Gods, Gun on Ice Planet Zero, The Phantom in Space, Space Prison, Space Casanova, Curse of The Cylons, The Living Legend, War of The Gods, Greetings From Earth, Murder in Space, and Experiment in Terra. I would also like to see the tele-movies released, and Mission plus Conquest too. A few years ago Universal Playback issued a VHS set in the U.K. that I purchased that was supposed to contain the tele movie cuts, however it was incomplete. In some cases instead of the expanded versions of some of the 2 part episodes, we were given the regular as broadcast 2 part shows. I have those plus copies of what was missing from various sources but I would purchase in a heartbeat if they were released on disc. Universal deserves a big thanks for giving us the tv movie version of Buck Rogers on the 2nd season release, lets hope they give us more Galactica AND on single sided discs. :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I can do without the telemovies that combined single part episodes together in a mish-mash storyline that made no sense. They were bad enough in "McCloud" S1, and we know how bad they were in syndication in "NIght Gallery" with padded episodes. The telemovies of the original two-part episodes are another matter since we were seeing the unaltered episodes augmented with footage earlier left on the cutting room floor. All of these additional scenes *did* appear in the bonus footage section of the original DVD release save for one additional scene from "Lost Planet Of The Gods" where Adama recalls the end of Kobol and how the original settlers of the Twelve Worlds in a sign of repentance destroyed all their technology. I would note the quality of this footage they used was much rougher and is likely not available in a format that would match the pristine quality that can be done with the traditional cuts of the episodes.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Scott511 said:
A few years ago Universal Playback issued a VHS set in the U.K. that I purchased that was supposed to contain the tele movie cuts, however it was incomplete. In some cases instead of the expanded versions of some of the 2 part episodes, we were given the regular as broadcast 2 part shows.
I bought that set, too, and was very angry when I received it. War of the Gods was the only genuine telemovie version on that release from the 2-hour shows. All the rest of the 2-parters were released as 2-parters on those tapes. The telemovies that combined 1-hour segments were there, but of course, those weren't the ones we wanted.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
All of these additional scenes *did* appear in the bonus footage section of the original DVD release save for one additional scene from "Lost Planet Of The Gods" ... I would note the quality of this footage they used was much rougher and is likely not available in a format that would match the pristine quality that can be done with the traditional cuts of the episodes.
That footage is rougher because they were using the original film trims. I'm sure there are masters (probably tape) of the actual telemovie edits that they could release. They wouldn't be digitally remastered, but would probably be better quality than going back to those rough source elements.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Those telemovie scenes though were fully mixed sound wise as they appeared in the actual telemovie and weren't of the pure outtake variety that we saw for the footage for other episodes.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
kingfish said:
conquest of earth is mixed together from the original battlestar galactica and galactica 1980 and has extended footage of the new cylon raider.
Actually, Conquest used the first episode and the two part Night The Cylons Landed. All from the 1980 series.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Conquest also recycled footage from the original Galactica episode "The Young Lords" solely so they could find a scene of John Colicos as Baltar (who did not appear in G80) to squeeze into the final product.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just picked up my BD copy of BSG the 1978 movie from Best Buy which is the only place you can buy it for 14.99. Cannot wait to see it tonight. I hope this means the old show will come out after the release of the movie. Perhaps for Christmas the series will come out. I would take the whole thing even 1980 all in BD. No extras though on this movie.I should think with Star Trek doing so well the series would follow.All Star Trek movies and the two series are all on sale at BB.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Timothy E said:
I will not be surprised if the complete series is released on Blu-ray before the end of 2013.
I would be very surprised if this happens (pleasantly, I might add). I would also see single-sided DVDs as unlikely.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i hope universal will release the original BG on single sided dvds. the flippers suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks