What's new

"Battlestar" movie - Universal and Glen Larson in talks (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sounds promising. I hope we get some cool '70s cylons. They showed a few of them at the beginning of a new episode recently, and it was like a breath of fresh air. I didn't plan to watch Caprica, but I'm guessing that as much work as went into that sequence, the '70s cylons will be prominent on that show. That'll make me check it out.

Anyway, the movie can be more mature and serious than the original series, but I hope it won't be as bleak and joyless as the current show.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
The footage of the old cylons used before the last couple of episodes is from the Razor tv movie that aired prior to season 4. It was not created for the Caprica series, as far as I know.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Lets see what happens before we make judgements. The same people who are complaining that Moore BSG can't be outdone and that this idea sucks. Were probably the same people who complained about Moore's BSG ideas when it was first introduced. You know Starbucks a girl, etc.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I admit I was a big fan of the original and I absolutely love the new series. OTOH, I loved the fun element of the original along with Buck Rogers and Space 1999 and Lost In Space.

Even if Larson wanted to make something like the new series it would never have worked in the late 70's for a number of reasons. The original season was very good in many ways, but the networks strangled the whole concept for their own reasons and the subsequent debacle of G80 unfortunately ruined most of the unique aspects of the Original concept.

I don't even think of the original and new BSG as even the same series -- pretty much Matt Helm and James Bond are both fun Spy movie series, but have no more in common than the 2 BSG.

I'd love to see what Larson can do with HIS series with a real budget and without too many other network chefs poisoning his soup. Larson is listed as "Consulting Producer" so he does have at least a passing connection to the new BSG.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well if this is true then it would be full circle for this premise. Started in the theatre, went to TV, and may now return to the theatre.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Galactica 1980 came about because the original series was too damn expensive for the time. Filming on Earth most of the time cut down on effects shots. Some of the effects that we did get from that series were really good for the time. Like when the Cylon ships deatroy LA. Overall the series is poor, but, "The Return of Starbuck" is truely great and well worth owning the series for. I'm in for whatever BSG wants to do at this point. It's proven itself.

GregK

Screenwriter
And while they're working on 'rebooting a BSG movie' why not go the full ten yards and bring back Sensurround as well? ;)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I loved the original series -- in its day; hey, I was a kid then! I suppose if they tone down the campiness, but still play to the mystical elements, I can still see it being interesting.

Let me say it first, Richard Hatch as Adama!

Just one problem: it's already there and is now called the LFE, or the .1 in your 5.1/6.1/7.1 system...

(One "special feature" on the 'theatrical version' release of the DVD was the fact that its soundtrack was in glorious 1.1 sound...)

Yeah, I remember the hype about Sensurround as well. Something we now take for granted.

GregK

Screenwriter

True.. the .1 LFE enhancement is still kicking, but without those Cerwin Vegas Earthquake speakers in the theaters, it isn't quite the same. :D

Universal somewhat botched the Sensurround encoding on the DVD release. BSG the movie used the mod-3 version of Sensurround, which panned the lfe effects throughout the theater as needed. I heard it in the original release, and the panning was quite effective. For the DVD release, the LFE stays just in the .1 . The LFE track is also encoded low.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
If it is a sort of Next Generation thing Dirk could be Starbuck again. Richard Hatch could be Apollo. They could be discussing the latests episode of the tv seris. Apollo to Starbuck: "Can you believe they made you a girl?' Starbuck: "Yea, but she sure is a hot one"

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I didn't know Gary Larson was qualified to write science fiction
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

But it was released in the USA too most likely to earn some extra bucks and raise awareness for the series. It was a limited run.The DC area theater that showed it had a Cylon at the door standing guard. Pretty cool stuff. BTW, they did the same for "Buck Rogers" too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks