Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gary.H, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone bought and played this game yet? What do you think?

2. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Did it even come out? My Best Buy did not have it yeserday. [​IMG]

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I saw it at EB tonight, the back cover was pretty lackluster as to what the game has, there isn't alot of support for anything no 480p, online, multiplayer. This game screams for online support. I'll wait on the reviews and the inevitable markdown to $20 bucks

4. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

I like the fact they modeled it mostly after the original tv series same sound f/x. I've wanted to fly a viper since I was a kid. Can't wait. Christmas probly.

5. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Do any of you guys know if there is an "in cockpit" view, as in Wing Commander, ect? I've seen tons of screen shots but not 1 single one of my fave camera view.

Getting the feeling it's all 3rd person...[​IMG]

6. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I got it the other day but I've been so busy with FF X-2 that I didn't even open it until last night [​IMG].

Right off the bat, I see the game as a clone of Jedi Starfighter, right down to the controls. You know how when you play one title you "become one" with the controls so to speak? That's how I felt with BG in terms of the JS controls. Rolling, firing, torpedoes, accelleration, and braking are all the same.

That said, it's not that bad of a game. The premise is pretty simple; the game takes place about 25 years before the timeline of the TV show. Adama and Cain are Viper pilots and you have to thwart a Cylon attack. I suppose they put it in a different era because BG fanboys would be upset if the original actors weren't doing the voices of Starbuck and Apollo. Personally, I don't care either way; I just feel that the voice of Adama is horrible. Even though it's a younger Adama, he doesn't have any resonance that you'd expect from Lorne Greene's voice if you matched the age he was when his character in this game takes place.

The game comes with unlockables. Sketches, bloopers, models, videos, and other items. It of course has the trailer for the new show already unlocked [​IMG]. I was especially pleased to see the original Ralph McGuarrie paintings for the original show in the gallery. Nice touch.

Overall, I just don't feel that this is game has the feel of Galactica. What is that feel? For those that don't remember the series, consider it a very dark Star Wars. That day in 1978 when the 3-hour premiere aired you really felt that although it borrowed from Star Wars, it really was in a class of its own. I don't get that feeling from the game, especially since it feels too much like they tried to rip off Jedi Starfighter. You don't even get to launch your Viper [​IMG] [​IMG].

I don't think it's worth the $50. $30 maybe. Does that mean 3/5 stars? [​IMG].

Mike