What's new

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: The Complete Epic Series (1 Viewer)

tom_tagliente

Stunt Coordinator
For those who have wanted the Cylon Head Collector's Box for the 1978/79 version of this show, and have been unable to find it since it has long since been out of print, GOOD NEWS!!! It is now available again for only $59.99 at Borders Books, Music, Video and Cafe. I am very happy to have just re-acquired this last night. I loaned it out to a friend, or so I thought...then he moved and it went with him. I'm not sure though if these are re-issues of that set, or just old ones from their warehouses that were just recently "found" and made available. But I did find something intriguing. The version of the show that fits on the shelf with other TV show sets, is still priced there at $119.99. Well, just wanted to give you all the news in case some might want to try and get your hands on one of these sets. According to the Borders in-store sleuth (the computer customers use to find what they want), this version shows IN STORE so it can be ordered from the distributor if the store you shop at is out of stock at the time you arrive. Have a good day and happy hunting.

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson
I saw this in Best Buy recently,i think it came out again in November but i am also sure that this is the same set but no or less bonus features than the old release,hope someone provese wrong on this...

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
At amazon.com for the product image they show the Cylon head packaging. Does anyone know if that is actually what you receive if you order it through them? They also show the Cylon head at deepdiscount.com. I e-mailed amazon customer service but I thought I'd ask here also.

Big time. I am one of those rare people that considers it season two. Too bad it wasn't included in The Complete Epic Series set and its absence makes it somewhat incomplete for me at least.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I never even thought of Galactica 1980 for a dvd. What a good idea; I'd buy it in 2 seconds.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

The only decent episode that came from that series was "The Return of Starbuck". It's too bad they just didn't include it as a Bonus in the "Complete Series" box.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Well as I expected, I basically got a generic response from amazon's customer service which was of no help.

My brother says the exact same thing. If they did that, then some people who have never seen it would want to know where the rest of that season's shows are, so that they can view and judge it for themselves. Then there are the completists like me who would say include them all or don't bother. Of course not bothering as they have done makes the set incomplete as far as I am concerned. People can't deny it exists as continuation of the story, no matter what they may think of it. Sometimes that season was mildly entertaining in that it at least allowed fans to view what may have happened if the Galactica had indeed reached its destination. Sometimes it was so bad that I couldn't help but enjoy it on some level, if for no other reason than to have an occasional laugh.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

The "Return of Starbuck" ep has virtually no connection with the rest of the Galactica 1980 series--it's told as a "flashback" episode and begins with an introductory narrative by Lorne Greene. (About the only connection with the series was that it possibly explains the origin of the mysterious Doctor Zee -- but that's already explained in the Lorne Greene intro.)

IMO, it would have worked as a single episode "Bonus" for fans of the original series.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
However, Galactica 1980 is directly connected to Battlestar Galactica simply because it is the next generation. It is a different era but still within the Galactica franchise. Therefore, saying that the "Return of Starbuck" is not connected to Galactica 1980 is irrelevant, especially where it was part of that season no matter which way you look at it.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
According to multiple sources including battlestargalactica.com a sequel episode to The Return of Starbuck was written and scheduled for production but never actually filmed before the show was cancelled...

Synopsis: THE WHEEL OF FIRE
Screenplay by Louise R. Kelley, Alan S. Young, story by Alan S. Young, dated 25 March 1980 (Prod. #55120).
In pursuit of Xaviar, his Viper about to be destroyed by Cylon fire, Troy is captured and taken aboard the Ship of Lights, where he meets Starbuck. Starbuck is now one of the "guardians of the Universe", who assigns Troy on a special mission -- to follow Xaviar (and the Cylon craft) into Earth's distant past (592 B.C.) and prevent the potential damange to Earth's history. At the same time, Adama sends Dillon and Jamie to the same period, where they rescue the pair, destroy the Cylon Raider and return to the present. In the resulting confusion, Xaviar's ship is lost.

This script would be a nice extra to include should they release a DVD set of Galactica 1980.

More info at http://www.battlestargalactica.com/o...outdoc0007.htm

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting. Thanks for that info and yes that sure would be an excellent extra for a possible DVD release.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
As an aside...S4 upcoming is the last in this series...too bad. 2 hr premiere in November followed by a january 08 start of the rest of the 22 ep season.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Back when the original series' episodes were turned into two hour tv-movies, "The Return of Starbuck" was integrated into one of them. All the scenes with the mysterious woman and child were gone, and it was Starbuck who climbs into the makeshift spacecraft to catch up with the fleet.
Galactica 1980 itself has a movie version inflicted on European audiences, called "Conquest of the Earth". ;)

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Well I guess I found out the answer to my question. Up until now I only had noticed the first listing for the set at amazon.com. That one has a Cylon's head on the product image which is different from what I thought the newer packaging is supposed to look like and it sells for $68.99. Then I recently looked a little lower and noticed that there is actually a second version which specifically states (Limited Edition Cylon Head Packaging). I found this surprising because on tvshowsondvd.com there is a news item dated 01/01/04 for this series which states that the Cylon Head packaging is going away. Anyhow, while this version will take longer before it ships, the limited edition version is actually cheaper at $53.99. If there isn't any difference in the inner contents of each then I wonder why there is a price differential?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have to say I wasn't a fan of the Cylon Head Packaging. The way the discs fit into it, they were way too tight. Several of the DVDs were so tight, the inner plastic ring on the DVD was cracked (the DVDs were okay). I took them out of the packaging, and put them in standard DVD cases.

Tom_Tagliente19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Tagliente
My thoughts on the low price for the same set is simple. These are probably the sets that were left over in the warehouse when the Cylon Head sets were to be replaced by the shelf friendly storage box seen with most TV show releases. The low price is to move them out and make some of the money back on the packaging and storage costs. It's the same set. The serial number on the new set matches the original 2003 release serial number. Again, just my thoughts.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Actually, an even nicer bonus would be all of the footage filmed for the incomplete episode The Day They Kidnapped Cleopatra.[/i] From the sources I've read, they were in the middle of filming this episode when word came down from the network that they were cancelled...

Also, Wheel of Fire sets things in motion for one of the original cast members to return to the show (at least, periodically), in a manner similar to "John" who was on the Ship of Lights...

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I love the Cylon Head packaging and BG is my favourite TV on DVD release, plus it's one of three that I've watched more than once, the other two were the first two seasons of Wonder Woman.

I would like to see Galactica 1980 reased on disc too. While the Return of Starbuck is the best episode of the series, the three part opener Galactica Discovers Earth was a good start for the show but the Cylon "attack" on LA was a big disappointment. Robert Reed gave a good guest star turn and Robyn Douglass was very hot and made the show worth watching.

Night the Cylons Landed was enjoyable for Roger Davis as the Human looking Cylon, Andromus. I also loved the discovery of the Cylons weakness in the episode. Richard Lynch was really good as Xavier in the time travel episode, I love time travel stories. I think the show suffered because they tried to make it too kid friendly with the addition of the Super-Scouts, the addition of the flying motorcycles to cash in on the success of CHiPs and that the show's creators didn't seem to have any good ideas or a masterplan for the series once they reached Earth. I still enjoy the show but they should have had a second season of the original show and cast instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks