What's new

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic...Announced! (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The last disk is 150 minutes, which is 3 x 50 minute episodes, and I'm ticked that they didn't include 1980, and am thinking about forgetting the whole thing now. Bummer!

Glenn

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Truly ashame that they will not be going back to the original audio stems and producing 5.1 soundtracks for these...

Certainly the 5.1 Paramount worked up for the STAR TREK:TOS shows that it can be done.

Dugger

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for The Return of Starbuck. As far as I'm concerned the rest of Galactica: 1980 can BURN IN HELL!

Ric

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Dave, as far as I know most of the audio stems are gone. Stu Phillips still has his score tapes, this much I know, but frankly I'll be shocked if they actually found enough stems to do a true 5.1 remix

They should include some pics of the Viper cockpit that's sitting in the Universal junkyard too

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No, not at all. It is NOT complete. Ask Joseph - and several others. They are not going to get The Return of Starbuck either.

It seems odd to me that they'd run off part of a series, and not all of it, and don't give me that "1980" makes it a new series stuff. They both had the same characters played by the same stars in them.

I know 'to each his own', but I have seen some of the '1980' ones lately, and they are just as cheesy as the original series, so what's the big deal? They can't package the other ten episodes? Did they run out of money or something? Couln't find a slip case for that many disks?

Yeah, that sounds way over the edge, and I may be kidding, but what is their excuse?

Glenn

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
What they'll do is release the original series bare bones, then jam pack the 1980 series with extras to sucker everyone into buying it. :D

I'm just glad Uni finally put a date on it. I am now hoping that they don't mess up the packing too bad with some Legendish abomination or new noggin artwork.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It seems odd to me that they'd run off part of a series, and not all of it, and don't give me that "1980" makes it a new series stuff. They both had the same characters played by the same stars in them.
Yes, they have _2_ characters in common, unless you want to count "Troy" being Boxey 20 years on, and Starbuck's one appearance

Galactica 1980 IS a new series. While Universal did abuse their season 2 contracts to force Kent McCord onto the show, as far as SAG is concerned it is a different show 100% on a contractual level

As for it being "just as cheesy". I suggest you watch again. Even on the production side, Galactica was supposed to be a "family action-adventure hour" while G80 was a "juvenille action-adventure hour". G80 was a rushjob from beginning to end, with network mandates like "it has to have motorcycles, because CHiPs is big" and "celebrity guest stars" (Wolfman Jack).

And finally. There are 11 episodes of G80, only one of which the fans want. Are you really going to jack the price by half again and make it 3 more discs for a show that 90% of your target audience DESPISE? No. If it sells well might they release G80? Good possibility

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I could care less about G80. I thought it was crap when it first aired - and I was the target juvenille audience at the time (15 years old).

Good to see both 5.1 and original mono soundtracks (something Paramount should have done for Star Trek) for the real Battlestar Galactica series.

:D

Joel

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Good news! I don't remember a whole lot about BATTLESTAR GALACTICA other than how cool my 8-year-old self thought it was back in the day. :emoji_thumbsup:

And as for GALACTICA 1980, personally I could care less.

Not a complaint but: What's with the sudden re-emergence of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA anyway? Haven't heard a peep about this show in over 20 years and now we're getting the original series on DVD, a new mini-series on Sci-Fi Channel, and an Xbox game (which looks very cool, BTW) in September! Anything else in the works?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Interestingly, I was watching Charlie's Angels last night, and who should appear but Laurette Spang.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The show has had a solid fanbase/following since it went off the air, and is one of SciFi's most popular reruns. 70's TV show remakes are in, and this is the third Galactica remake to start, and the first to actually get filmed (no matter how much it deserves to be burned).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]NEW DATE![/rant]

Gord received an e-mail earlier from someone at Universal, which stated that the release date has already been pushed back 1 week.

The New Release Date is October 21st

Gord posted a quick news item at TVShowsOnDVD stating the change, and Universal has already updated their consumer site with this info.

Still waiting on price, cover art, and whether or not there will be supplements on this (surely there will be something).

Now's also a good time to mention that Universal is re-promoting the theatrical version of the pilot (edited down from the triple-length "Saga of a Star World" episode and containing an alternate ending regarding Baltar) on the same date. It appears to be the same DVD that Uni released years ago, just with a new lower price ($19.98 SRP) and a new UPC# (which for Uni probably means a new cover, a la Batteries Not Included). So completists will have a chance to own the "alternate" version of the pilot.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
new cover? Eww, I keep imagining some new Photoshopped noggin montage of actors who aren't famous to anyone today except BSG fans who like the original art

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I keep imagining some new Photoshopped noggin montage of actors who aren't famous to anyone today except BSG fans who like the original art
I agree. What is cool about 1970s shows is that they are 1970s shows. No need to make them look current (read: boring and uninspired).

I am glad I still have the original theatrical version - if only it were anamorphic.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
From the press release:
The adventurous story of humans amongst the stars, the six-disc Complete Epic Series Box Set features all 24 hour-long episodes of the original series. Loaded with newly produced and never-before-seen bonus features, this six-disc set is the definitive release that fans have been waiting for! Plus, every fan will want to display their Battlestar Galactica - Complete Epic Series, due to the highly collectible, traffic-stopping packaging. The six-disc Complete Epic Series DVD collection is priced at $119.98 S.R.P. and the Battlestar Galactica - Original Feature Film is priced at $19.98 S.R.P. for the first time.

Battlestar Galactica - Complete Epic Series six-disc highlights:
* Loaded with newly-produced bonus materials and never-before-seen footage, including an interview with series creator Glen A. Larson and series stars' Richard Hatch (Apollo), Terry Carter (Col. Tigh) and Anne Lockhart (Sheba).

* The six-disc set includes all 24 hours of the original series, presented in their original broadcast order, the way fans want to see them.

* Entire series re-mastered from original source materials for optimal picture and sound quality.

* Features both a newly created 5.1 Dolby Digital surround track and the original monotrack.

Battlestar Galactica - Original Feature Film DVD highlights:
* Includes a sneak preview of the new SCI FI Channel's mini-series.

* Includes a coupon for $10 off the Complete Epic Series DVD box set.
Note that they'll have to re-do the original movie disc to accommodate the sneak preview or add a bonus disc.

Rob T

Screenwriter
$119.98 S.R.P.? :eek:
I wonder what it'll be up here. probably something like $150 SRP. :frowning:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The fact that they're reauthoring the movie to include the preview for The Travesty may mean it's now anamorphic

They got Terry Carter! He is THE MAN. One of the most gracious human beings I have ever met, a class act all the way with some great stories to tell.

Too bad they couldn't get (afford) more of them. Now where's that show-stopping packaging they're claiming? At $119 It better be a nogginless embossed Tin case a-la Band of Brothers. Like the Aussie packaging from last year all silver with the black logo(or silver logo on black) (a Cylon in the background with the eye going would be sweet, though a Pink Floyd "Pulse" style would be tacky :))

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
So, I'd have to re-purchase the "movie" if I want to get the $10 coupon? Spend $20 to get 10 bucks off the series set?

Thank goodness for online pre-ordering which will hopefully bring that set price down under 100. Otherwise, there's not much help for those of us who already bought the "movie" edition.

If they do have to re-do the movie disc, do you suppose that it will be 16x9 this time?

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks