What's new

Battlestar Galactica: The Classic Series (1 Viewer)

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
I got the Big Giant Head set when it was released for $50 after a $30 amazon visa discount. All discs played fine as I watched every episode and extra. The "Remembering Galactica" featurette was cool as it showed some scenes and outtakes I had never seen. It was nice to see the original complete pilot for the first time in 25 years instead of the chopped theatrical release.

I can't review the 5.1 remasting, but the sound was great on my 2.0 stereo setup. The Galactica never felt more real. Production quality was awsome for a 1978 TV series. It has a Star Wars-like quality. Background noise, subtle sounds, great attention to detail.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I just got finished watching this and I'm glad to report I had no problems at all :D Not surprising since the discs were dvd-14's instead of dvd-18's. Next up is Buck Rogers :)

Steven_F

Grip
I had no problems with the original big head BSG set. However I did have a couple of problems with my first Buck Rogers set (Gary Coleman episode). I took it back and the next one worked, but the manual was missing. So I had to go back to the store and ask them to give me the manual from the set I had returned. I never had any problems with the Farscape DVD18s either.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I have the original Big Head set and had no problems at all. Just with fitting the Big Head onto my DVD shelves. I've put the Big Head aside and have the inner fold-out digipak sitting on my DVD shelf with the rest of my TV shows on DVD. No title on the spine and it's just the loose digipak, but I know what show it is and it fits firmly between the other DVDs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd resurrect this thread. (seemed like appropriate useage of wording given the Ronald D. Moore version of Galactica out there.)

I just completed watching Season 2 of the Moore version of Galactica and Razor and it's got me fondly remembering the original series which I did see on its original network run. I not a huge fan, but I appreciate the series and I never bought the DVD's.

I was looking on-line and I see that the big Cylon head is still available for about $45. That's a surprise! Then I see there's a $76 version called the Complete Epic Series which is the same as the Big Cylon head version but with a book and normal packaging.

I see most here have no issues with the DVD-18 discs. I wonder which version is the better one to buy. I would guess the Big Cylon head, it's a good price. But I wonder if the book is any good?

Any insights from the members? Thanks!

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I have the normal packaging with book version. I didn't find the book impressive enough to justify $30. I do know a lot of people were unhappy with the packaging of the big cylon head though...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
As I said above, my copy did start freezing and pixellating. It seemed to be okay after I wiped it, but I've honestly been afraid to play it since then. Having issues with Adam-12 and Magnum at the same time is what contributed to that feeling.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the feedback! Okay, one vote that the book wasn't that great and the discs are still subject to freezes. I have Magnum S1 to S3 and I've experienced freezes on those too. I see why all the complaints about Universal TV sets. Paramount sure has a great record for quality TV sets, I have a lot of those. Not that I'm saying other studios don't do a good job.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It was my Magnum S3. I haven't bought another Magnum set, and now I'm thinking that if they come out with a complete series set, it'll be on single-sided discs and probably be cheaper than me continuing with the single seasons.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Is there a precident for Universal to do a series box set? I kinda doubt it, but then I've been wrong many times!

I think I'll look for the lower cost option for Galactica TOS if I find it, seems like either set has the identical material, except book and Cylon head.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, they did a Miami Vice set. I think there might have been another. I'm pretty sure they did a Quantum Leap set in region 2.

Oh, and the Miami Vice set featured single-siders! Only $134 on Amazon, with full music. That would be a steal for Magnum.

Sigwolf

Agent
Real Name
Dave

I don't really think you can draw any comparisons to the price for the Vice set, since that was five seasons versus eight for Magnum.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Universal has consistently done a poor job with their DVD releases. The original Galactica has some nice packaging but it was cumbersome, and the double-sided discs were prone to errors. Same with the Buck Rogers DVD set (discussed in another thread here). Even their new Galactica seasons (and half-season) sets (and season sets for the Incredible Hulk) aren't all they could be. Yes, plenty of extras on the BG releases, but are scene selections - a staple of DVDs for 10 years - really too much to ask?

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I think my set is jinxed. I bought this on the day it was released back in 2003. All the discs played fine. I recently wanted to watch the first episode and the disc had gone bad. I looked at the second disc and it too had gone bad. I am waiting on replacements from Universal. Last night I went to play the final episode and I noticed the center area has a crack in it. I will have to send for a replacement for this one now.

I just recently bought the Buck series and I am on the second side of the first disc, so far so good. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am going to load all these discs onto a hard drive as backups in case of future problems.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan-

How do you define that the disc has gone bad? Is like the dreaded laser rot of the laserdisc era?

Is it a visible probem you can see on the disc, like layers separating, or a clouded look on the surface?

I have the first issue of Apollo 13, a Universal disc and it looks okay visually, it played fine for years, But it won't play now, the DVD players I tried it on all say it's not a DVD. On my computer, it reads as a blank disc! Sounds like what you're experiencing?

Thanks.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Nelson,

The two discs that went bad had weird looking spots between the layers. You could clearly see them and they were not there when I first bought the set. If I am not mistaking, the set contains 4 discs that are dual sided, 1, 2, 3 and 6. So far the third disc looks okay, I haven't tried it and the 6th is the one that cracked in the center.

These dual sided discs really are a pain in the butt. I handle them very carefully too.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
This set in particular had discs that were really difficult to get out. I remember thinking, how do you get them out without cracking them. My guess is I did barely crack them and didn't notice. Maybe this caused the layers to seperate. I think me checking that 6th disc made the crack larger.

The only other set that I have had problems getting the discs out was Flintstones season one. I checked them recently and they were fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks