What's new

Battlestar Galactica Season Boxed Set? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I know the theatrical version is shorter, and the ending changed, but since it was released first, it is a valid version. The TV version should be used for the TV series release.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The pilot was released theatrically in Canada the summer before the show started airing on TV, so I don't know how it could be considered "reedited". I distinctly remember seeing the broadcast pilot episode and being confused by the ending
Because Saga of a Star World has always been the intended edit. The movie cut was more of a backup.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's not in production. 3 weeks before it was to start Fox decided that Bryan Singer needed to work on X-Men 2, and pulled him onto that. The props and sets are currently mothballed, Fox network no longer interested (thankfully, they would have canned it), UPN passed, and now I hear Sci-Fi is going to buy the props/sets and do a miniseries.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
This is from memory whay back, but I believe there are three versions of the pilot (with some possible variations on the tv version for 1 night vs 2 nights and number of commercials).

1) Canadian version: was used to test the pilot.

In it Baltar is killed since Imperious leader was

meant to be the heavy

2) American TV: They changed mind on Baltar and filmed

the Imperious leader death with Hatch and Benedict

as a rush job (the let's pretend we're whole squadrons

trick)

3) American Theatrical: cropped to ws, released after series cancelled. They used bothe death scenes (Baltar and Imperioous Leader). In Sensorund. This is the R1 DVD.

Peter

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I still concur that the Canadian version should be on DVD as released to theatres, regardless of whether it was the original intent or not (sounds very Lucasian to me), preferably alongside a remastered US theatrical cut. The TV version of the pilot should also be available as aired.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
It isn't "Lucasian" to insist on the TV version ahead of all others because the TV version represents the true version of the first BG story within the context of the series. In addition there is the problem that a scene in the Canadian version was reshot completely involving Starbuck (Dirk Benedict) with his shirt off during a romantic sequence with Cassiopeia (Laurette Spang). The version was reshot with Starbuck still fully clothed.

Also there was a good deal of additional footage that never appeared in any of the three versions centering on Serina's (Jane Seymour) illness from radiation poisoning. I would love to see that (if it still exists) as a supplement on a DVD but for now the bigger priority is to see all episodes of the series out on DVD.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The TV version is the official, intended cut
The Serina death scenes are lost to the ages I'm afraid :frowning:
I think I know someone who has the script for them though

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I will argue that the Canadian version, by the very fact that it was released first, should be considered the proper theatrical version, especially since it has been acknowledged that there were edits made subsequently to change characters (Baltar) or soften the sexual content based on the reception by the network.

I am not saying that the TV version shouldn't be presented also - I want all the cuts, but I do want the theatrical versions to be presented the way they were shown theatrically, matted to 1.85 and anamorphically enhanced, and in the original edit.That is what I saw in the theatre, and that is what I want (in addition to the other cuts) on the DVD. I would also ask for the inclusion (separately) of any unused scenes.

I would agree that getting the series released in its television form would be a priority - including the pilot - but I would also urge Universal to consider the Canadian and US theatrical versions for release.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
There is no reason IMO why Universal should even consider releasing either "theatrical" version ahead of the TV series. We already have the proper theatrical version on DVD, with image missing because it was shot in a TV ratio and not intended for widescreen release, and it is simply not the version of BG that the fans want to see. The TV series, complete at last is the first priority because for too many years fans of the series have had to put up with butchered episodes on the Sci-Fi Channel that never got a VHS release or poor quality VHS releases of lesser episodes (some of which looked like they were transferred from 16mm) while the best ones like "Living Legend" and "Hand Of God" remain elusive.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
We already have the proper theatrical version on DVD, with image missing because it was shot in a TV ratio and not intended for widescreen release
No, we don't have the proper theatrical version on DVD. We have the US cut, which was not what many BG fans first saw of the series, which was the Canadian theatrical release, in widescreen, regardless of what is now claimed to be the "proper" version (which in fact was edited to appease the network, and keep Baltar available as the bad guy and work with the TV continuity).
I fully agree that the TV series and the TV pilot version are the highest priority, but until the original Canadian cut, we do NOT have the proper, original theatrical version. :)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
To be honest, I'm never going to lose any sleep if the Canadian version never sees the light of day. If there are any alternate versions I'd prefer on DVD it would be the extended "telemovie" versions of the two part episodes (LPOTG, GOPIZ, LL, WOTG) that had extra scenes not part of the ABC broadcast, but which often cleared up a few loose ends caused by the editing process. (But don't EVER release the telemovies that combined two separate episodes together, and let's forget about "Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack" and "Conquest Of The Earth" as well!)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I am not saying that the TV version shouldn't be presented also - I want all the cuts...
I would love all the cuts too, but I have to realize that this isn't Blade Runner we're talking about here and that Universal won't treat it the same.
Realizing that, and knowing that there is one "theatrical" version already out, then the best we can hope for is going to be that Universal will get the TV series out on DVD at all...with the proper "pilot" version of SoaSW.
Getting even that will be a neat trick right now, with Universal's lack of TV product!
Any extra "goodies" they want to throw in, such as the G80 episode "Return of Starbuck" or deleted scenes from the Canadian theatrical release can only be considered sauce for the goose!
The only other option I can see is if Alliance separately releases the Canadian theatrical version as a Canada DVD release, and those of us who want it go ahead and import it from the Great White North! :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Getting this thread back onto it's main track:
Bill and I are coordinating on a campaign for Universal. They didn't even know the set was coming out, which says to me it was a Universal Australia home brew project. HOWEVER they are willing to consider a release here, hopefully we'll have more details soon.
In the meantime, express polite support at this link
http://www.universalstudios.com/hom...cgi?email_id=10
Or, how about we just support the already existing and well-written petition, which The Digital Bits mentioned today.
#3838 right here! :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Customer Service is the last to know anything. If they don't have a press release, it's as good as never coming

Do not give up hope. The more we complain LOUDLY and in phone calls and snail mails, the faster we get our BSG

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So, what's happening with that campaign, Jeff? Any news, yet? What can WE do as an online community, beyond the e-mails and letters we've already sent in?
By-the-way, that petition picked up 560 signatures in the past 6 days! :eek:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sign Richard's petition, call and snail mail weekly
BELIEVE ME when I say the more we nag, the faster it will get here. Organized protests at Universal Studios might not be a bad Idea ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks