1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 - SciFi US broadcast thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, May 16, 2005.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

FUCK! I don't have cable in Boston during the school months - Mid-September to the end of May. I do have cable in Albany. So basically, this means I'll rarely seen Battlestar on cable unless I pony up the dough for whatever shithole I end up living in next year.

My hopes for McCain's ala carte cable law just became that much more desperate![​IMG]

Still, much better than no Battlestar at all.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    If you can deal with low-rez, there's always iTunes at $2 a pop.

Regards,

3. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Could the delay till October be because they are planning to movve it across to NBC?

4. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

That would be awesome. First run HD from my OTA antenna instead of going over to a friend's to watch in overcompressed SD from the local Cable bucklusters.

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

It wouldn't surprise me. NBC needs a hit show. Just have to wonder where they will put it. Actually, they missed a perfect opportunity to do a cross-promotion with "The Apprentice". They could have had Trump do a show to find the best candidate to become the next CO of Pegasus. [​IMG]

6. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Stunt Coordinator

I am not an NBC programming Exec, and I must say that BSG on NBC would be frackin' awesome.

However, NBC aired episodes of BSG just before the beginning of season 2.0, and it totally bombed, terrible ratings, so if that is any indicator, I wouldn't hold my breath...

7. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I actually hope they leave it on Sci-fi. Yes, I cry about the lack of HD. But the beauty of this show is the writing and storyline. There is no doubt in my mind, that BSG on NBC would be BSG Lite. Lighter issues, more emphasis on SFX, characters that aren't so flawed. No thanks. I'll suffer through the bad PQ. Just don't move my Entourage, Deadwood, BSG, The Shield, etc to the networks. They'd never be the same.

8. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Remember, BSG does well by the standards of a basic cable channel that caters to a niche audience. Its ratings aren't much better than what Enterprise had when it was canceled.

9. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Count me as another who thinks a move to NBC would signal the end to Battlestar as we know and love it. They probably would have to add a mechanical dog if they moved to NBC.

10. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

NBC would be a bad move. I don't like the current presentation on cable, but they look great once they hit DVD, and the content hasn't been watered down by major network standards.

11. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

http://syfyportal.com/wip/news.php?id=2437

I don't post here about my opinions of Galactica since I usually do that on another board, but I'm in the camp that says a move to NBC primetime will eventually kill our beloved show. Think about it. The chances are it will eventually be toned down, or NBC will start moving it's timeslot around like crazy. Those 2 things alone could spell disaster. This is my all-time favorite TV show, bar none. I do not want to see it changed in any way until it's run is officially ended by it's creators.

I had a bad day at work, and to come home to this news just made my day worse. Yeah, it's just a show, but it's a damn good one right now.

12. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

John Co
    Why are we talking about NBC. Is there something really happening or just someone's wild guess?

13. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

NBC/Universal owns the Sci-fi show... I think.

Anyway... kinda bummed that we won't see new episodes until the Fall. Are the Stargates still gonna be on their Summer-Winter schedule? I'll kind of miss them all together. Even though the stargates are Sci-fi light, I still enjoy them enough to watch while anticipating the big Friday night capper.

Does this also mean that future seasons of BG will not be separated into two DVD releases?

14. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    The good news is i can watch Dr Who on Si Fi for a few weeks of that 7 month hiatus!

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Yuck. If the resolution were better, I'd spring for it. If the episodes were up at original air time I might spring for it. But I can usually get the episodes by Saturday night as it is. It's more of an inconvenience that an impossibility.

The one thing that might sway me towards iTunes is if they do the season pass like they are with Comedy Central. It might be worth $10-15 to save the bullshit. Since I'll inevitably get the DVD, it's not worth the $20 for ten eps. though.

16. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

If NBC really is going to begin airing "Battlestar Galactica" (as is hinted by the "syfyportal" link provided above by Jeff Pryor) then they would have to start airing the series in the Summer in order for the mainstream network audiences to have a proper chance to catch-up with its linear storyline.

Unless ... NBC merely wants to re-broadcast the show on the Saturday following the Friday airing on SCI-FI. This could actually work since NBC has long since given up hope of getting any kind of decent ratings on Saturday night. The show could rank in 80th place in the overall Nielsen rankings for the week and still be considered a success for the network on that night. This would be a "win-win" for everybody since SCI-FI would still have the initial broadcast and NBC would then follow with that week's episode for the first time in HD. (Don't forget that Nielsen is now tracking DVR, and Galactica on NBC on Saturday night in HD would definitely garner a boost from those new numbers.)

IMO, this is probably what's being considered here ...

17. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah they aired the Piolot I remember maybe some other eps. But they really need to commit to starting with Season 1 and showing them all. It's not a show you can run piecemeal, also don't dump it in the Saturday night Graveyard of shows, air it when people might actually watch the thing. I think that Scifi is just a hard sell to the General public right now, they can't invest past their Survivor/Apprentice Malaise.

18. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

John Co
    Well I agree that a move to NBC would be BAD for this series. The suits wouldn't be able to resist putting pressure for this change or that change. [​IMG]

19. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    honestly the only thing that moving to NBC would do is water this down to another piece of network crap that is drooled out weekly for the masses, if NBC Universal really wanted the numbers to go through the roof then i suggest fix SiFI to a better signal, the only way this show is going to be what we have come to love about it is keeping it from the networks that have to remove any kind of controversy, other than this, FX is the only station that really takes that kind of chance, and i could only wish that the suits who read this would let BS have the same free rein the the shield has had.

20. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Yeah...but, NBC has a "plan". [​IMG]