What's new

Battlestar Galactica remake: Time to weep openly (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Jeff, tangent... Do we know when the ORIGINAL series is to be released on DVD? I've heard rumors, other regions etc... What's the skinny...? Be great if they included "The return of Starbuck" as a bonus ep...

:) D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
0 word on specs

Miniseries airs in December, September is the anniversary, but I'm going to guess November.

Believe me, you will have first word from the High Priest who was first a Prophet of the Lords of Kobol :)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The "Return of Starbuck" was one of my favorite BG eps ... it would be depressing if it's not included with the BG Season box.

A show consistantly in the top 10 is a ratings failure?
It did VERY well. But ABC got cold feet because of its production cost.
During the airing of the original pilot there was a presidential address and/or news bulletin of some sort that interrupted the broadcast on the east coast.

In spite of that, it still made it into the Nielsen top 10 for the week. One can only wonder how much higher the ratings might have been for that initial broadcast had it not been for the interruption.

It certainly could have pumped-up the overall ratings for the season to the point that ABC would not have questioned the production costs.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think it's supposed to be a Patrick MacGoohan homage, and frankly I think the morons mixed him up with Patrick MacNee

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
One of the things I always like about the original was having Jonathan Harris as the voice of Lucifer.

I'm hoping the new show is entertaining. The Cylons certainly look like Cylons. If the mini series is successful, there could be a lot more Battlestar waiting in the wings!

H

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I've been reading these posts with mixed feelings. I'll agree that some make valid points. When you compare the new version to the original (of course AFTER actually seeing the new version at the end of this year) it will probably have a lot of faults. Hollywood has remade dozens of movies. Retold many stories (another Peter Pan this year). But taken as a separate mini-series, without comparing it to anything, it might be very entertaining. I am certainly looking forward to watching it. Quite often remakes are better than the original... sometimes not. I'll let you know what I think in December. And Yee-Ming made a valid point as well :D

[url=http://members.aol.com/nightdog35/spidey_smiley.gif] [/url]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Ah, but since both versions of Pan (Disney and the new one) are valid entities, based directly on the words of JM Barrie (Disney is based on his cleaned-up stage version, new one is based on the book) both are valid :)

Barrie was also dead when both were made, while Mr. Larson is very much alive, as is 90% of the cast

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Is that Number Six of Nine...?
It's "Six of One". Her twin "Half A Dozen of the Other" will be on later in the series. :D

Anyway ... I'm mixed on this whole issue.

I really like the new look. Very modern while still maintaining a lot of the designs of the original series. And I'm thrilled that the Cylons are still Cylons.

Some of the cast are excellent choices. I like Edward James Olmos and think that he will do a good job as Commander Adama. I'm also encouraged to see Mary McDonnell as the President.

I do not, however, like the gender changes for Starbuck and Boomer. I have nothing against strong women roles; however, part of Starbuck's charm was his chauvanism, with the ever-present cigar and his gambling habits. This will be completely lost on the new female Starbuck, I'm sure. Why the new ladies could not have been made to have strong ADDITIONAL roles instead of REPLACEMENTS is a very big liability in my opinion. It sounds like SciFi decided to be more politically correct than anything else or else they're trying to lure women who might not have watched theoriginal series to watch the new series.

We'll see this December, I suppose.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
part of Starbuck's charm was his chauvanism, with the ever-present cigar and his gambling habits. This will be completely lost on the new female Starbuck, I'm sure.
Part of the problem, though, is that (IIRC) a good chunk of Starbuck's characterization is really associated with Dirk Benedict; they're props and attitudes and deliveries that stayed with Dirk throughout his career. I think Moore's rationale was that making Starbuck a woman actually allowed him to keep certain basic aspects of the character similar, but not force the actor into basically impersonating Benedict.

Besides, it's not like changing a character's sex is always a bad thing. Would you rather watch His Girl Friday or The Front Page? :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I really like the new look. Very modern while still maintaining a lot of the designs of the original series. And I'm thrilled that the Cylons are still Cylons.
Umm, what designs of the original? There seems to be a bird painted on the helmets..the Viper looks mostly the same, the Galactica is the same and.......ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm sorry nothing else

UPDATE: The Cylon is apparently a red herring, and in some kind of museum display. They're trying to mollify the masses before it gets too much bad press.

About the only change they made that I agree with is changing Adama's ship that goes down to a shuttle, makes a lot more sense than Adama piggybacking in a viper

derek

Second Unit
Aren't the new cylons supposed to be CGI (and more biological looking?) I thought that was rumored. IMHO tells me they won't be looking much like our beloved classics. One of the endearing traits of a Cylon was the slow bulky methodical robotic look (highlighted by the scanning eye.) They weren't quick, smart or particularly good shots...but they JUST KEPT COMING...
:)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
The Cylon is apparently a red herring, and in some kind of museum display. They're trying to mollify the masses before it gets too much bad press.
WHAT?? Do you mean that there won't be the red-eye metalheads from the original? Hmmmm.... I think that my open-mindedness towards this series just closed a little bit.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yes, he needs to change some aspects of it so that he doesn't get accused of just copying the old one, but to completely change both Starbuck and Boomer to a completley different gender seems to be going overboard. I'll still keep an open mind to it, though.
I don't know as the majority of the folks here would be "accusing" Moore if he just copied the old one; doing a Xerox job would probably be considered A Good Thing. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Exactly Jason, kick the clock up 20 years, introduce some new characters and here we go again would have been just fine

I'm sure that there will be Cylons with scanning red eyes, but it won't be our beloved metalheads

Sigh, Eric the Cylon where are you? His costume was said by John Colicos(Baltar) to be better than the "real" ones

I found a great cartoon on Starbuck's sexchange

http://www.cylon.org/images/pics/sta...cartoon-sm.jpg

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I started out enthused, but the more I read, the more apathetic I become towards this project. After rewatching a few episodes recently, I realized how much I would have enjoyed revisiting the original characters... or at least if someone would have let Larson end the saga in a classic Lorne Greene pose.

Best ... death ... ever!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I've just seen the new photos and I continue to be completely blown away by how faithful this "reenvision" show is to the old show - appearance wise and set design wise, I mean. When they said they were "reenvisioning" the show I expected that nothing would look the same, but the photos impress me by how much obvious love for the old 70s show the set design people have.

This is my first time seeing the "new" bridge, which is as filled with CRT monitors as the last one...fantastic. It looks and feels like the old one.

The antique cylong is getting a lot of talk. The idea of presenting it in a museum display case is hilarious, a gread nod to those who prefer to think of this as an alternate version of the Galactica timeline rather than a remake. I wonder if it is a joke to those who want everything to remain the same...or
does it play a role in the film? There's two photos of the museum piece, and in one it appears that some kind of eyepiece has snapped down over his helmet - looks like some kind of cgi rendered metal - so perhaps he comes back to life.

Again, given all the outcry I was expecting a radical departure, and am really impressed at what they've done instead. Admittedly, there's a bit of Starship Troopers sheen to some of it (using leather instead of courdoroy), but it looks and feels Battlestar-like to me. Looks like they even have the tilted wall hallways in the cylon ships, if some of those pics are indeed of that (hard to tell).

I only wish I had cable so I could watch this thing. Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD. As a fan of the old show, this is a must-buy, for me.

SciFi should pay me. But I'm serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks