What's new

Battlestar Galactica remake: Time to weep openly (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It seems to me the only Hatch could have gotten alot of support for this project is to have the trailer up on the web for people to see.
Because the license he got from Universal to make the trailer specifically forbid showing it anywhere but conventions. Just go to a con where Richard appears.

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like that was done on purpose. I think universal knew that support would overwelmingly go to Hatch for a revival if Access to the trailer was made available on the net. How about starting a site called battlestarvirtualconvention.org I wonder if that would work. Call it an online virtual convention and post it up. Just a thought. Maybe have it available straming only on certain scheduled weekends.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I loved the way the old show had Egyptian looking helmets & they had a Tibetan symbol on their jackets. I hope they don't throw out that ancient lost tribe stuff!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Gary, no, it's the only way he could do it without paying a hefty licensing fee. It has nothing to do with sending overwhelming support to Hatch. It had to do with what Richard could get for free

I worked on the thing Gary. Please believe me when I say that I know OK?

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
Oh I don't doubt you Jeff it's just a shame. I'm sure I'll never see it up her in NH. I've never heard of a convention with Hatch coming up here ever before. I'd love to get a peak at it.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Tony, they're legit complaints.
Not sayin' they aren't Jeff. However, as someone with a background in journalism, that struck me as a very negative and "fan-ish" interview. Again, I'm surprised Moore didn't walk out. Just my opinion. :)

Now, understand, I *hate* it when Hollywood-types insist on remaking a popular property, and changing things that made it popular in the first place. I've ranted about such things before.

In this case...I'm just attempting to go in with an open mind. :) I'll letcha know what I think after we've all seen it. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If Moore didn't want us to be negative, he wouldn't have blasphemed. It's that simple. As it stands, we're being negative because we care, we're being negative because we fought for 25 fracking years for this, and we get kicked in the teeth for our trouble

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Geez... I'm beginnin' to get the idea you aren't fond of this whole approach Jeff. ;)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
BIG Mistake.

They always should have made this a continuation not a redo.
Whats next a recasting of the 6 Million Dollar Man?

Sci Fi sinks even lower, if thats possible.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Whats next a recasting of the 6 Million Dollar Man?
Universal has been working on various new adaptations of Cyborg for years, both with an eye toward TV and theaters (I believe development on The Six Billion Dollar Man is stalled, though).

And why shouldn't they? Simple concept, recognizable name, Lee Majors isn't getting any younger.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Why? Putting aside your own emotional attachment to the original version, or the specifics of the current work-in-progress version, why would a continuation be inherently better, especially if Sci-Fi is looking to capture a young audience that wasn't even born when the original aired?
They've aired the series plenty of times on Sci-Fi. I've met many youngins who've gotten hooked by those airings. Had the remake been done properly, I would not have NEARLY the issues with it

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
One good thing about the BG remake... Because of it, Universal is releasing the original on DVD. :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes Paul, and I shall hug it and squeeze it and call it George :) And curse the demons who destroyed it.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Just as a point of comparison, this is the same argument that gets used in the "gay marriages undermine straight marriages" argument. What's the name of this false-argument tactic? (the tactic of saying that when something else is created, something else which was already created is somehow destroyed because of it, even though it is not affected). Any debate scholars out there know what it is called? (I don't)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Uh oh, Yul Brenner fans approaching on the horizon, armed with six-shooters and wearing scullcaps - they're remaking Westworld!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You see though, unlike marriage one entity really has the capability to bury something forever. If gays are allowed to marry, traditional marriage still stands unchanged. No one will be stopping hetero couples from being married. In this case, they CAN stop playing Galactica on TV and put the DVDs out of print if they so desire.

It's like the Genesis torpedo. "Then it would destroy that show in favor of its new matrix"

They've spent umpity-ump millions on this new travesty. Why they couldn't have spent them at least doing a faithful remake is beyond me

Update the uniforms? Sure! keep the general design, hire Doreleac to help!

Update the look of the Vipers? OK, I can deal

Make the Galactica a museum ship, and totally change how the attack happens? Umm, why?

Get rid of Boxey? OK, somehow I will find the strength to deal with that ;)

Senseless T&A and sex scenes? Fits right in with the original! Let's have more!

Make Starbuck a woman? You're fucking kidding me right?

Rip the spiritual heart and soul out of the show? Great! Let's eliminate every other distinguishing element it has from the rest of sci-fidom while we're at it!

Had Ron Moore been an actual fan of the show, he would have updated where it needed to be done (costumes, possibly the look of the interior), provided spots for original actor cameos and let it go. Instead he decided to "re-imagine" it, and blasphemed it from here to the colonies ripping out the heart and soul of the show and replacing it with senseless T&A and meaningless changes.

And that's just what I can tell from interviews and promo pictures.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
My view is, that they are so out to get a new audience that they are alienating the old one.
I dont care to see this.

If they want to make a space opera, retitle it and start from scratch instead of using the name and changing almost everything about it.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Senseless T&A and sex scenes
Reminds me of a certain lockerroom/flight suit scene in the original where Starbuck was trying to get a glimpse of Athena. Or a scene in a later episode where Starbuck was trying to boink Athena and Casseopia in adjoining rooms. Or where Cassiopia is a "socialator." Or where Starbuck gets his nads burnt by a steam pipe. Cheesy titilation has been part of Galactica from the start.

I'm just pleased that Galactica is coming back with a new vision that might hold my modern interest. It doesn't bother me that the 1978 version also exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks