What's new

Battlestar Galactica original series CGI makeover? (1 Viewer)

DALLAS Guy

Agent
Real Name
Steve
With Star Trek The Original Series getting a CGI makeover, I would love for Battlestar Galactica original series to get a CGI makeover with new CGI for all the space battles between the human and Cylon ships and all the space shots, as the same space shots and explosions are used over and over in many episodes, and for the new GCI makeover of the original series to be re-released to DVD. It's time to bring the original series into the 21st century.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
First, I have a soft spot for the original BSG. I love the soundtrack. I like the cast. I'll always have a nostalgic fondness for this show. And no offense to anyone--but with the exception of a few episodes, it's really not very good, and the effects, frankly, are the best thing about it and the last element of the show that needs updating.

Too bad some of the scripts can't be remastered.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Couldn't agree more. The effects at the time of production were the best of the best. They can't compete with what's happening now, but, why redo any when they already hold up so well? If any show needs effects tweaking it's Babylon 5, not Battlestar.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
There are fan edits of some of the 2-parters that have new cgi space scenes. Can't discuss them here but search Wired.com or news sites.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Never. Cgi is so overrated. Some of the cgi effects in Star Trek are almost cartoonish. To me using models that are done right are much better looking than cgi. Cgi has an unreal look to it.

Also redoing the effects, one can't resist the urge to re-imagine it. I saw the
previews for the Doomsday Machine and it is completely different than what was done in the series. It looks ridiculous. I wouldn't watch it if you gave me the discs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This is sort of a non-issue because the original BSG isn't popular enough to warrant the expense involved in replacing the effects. Star Trek is probably the only TV series where enough of the fans will buy the series over and over so that it is financially worth it for the studios.

And like someone else said, the effects are not what need to be fixed.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think it's a mistake to say all cgi looks like crap. Some model work looked like crap, too. For me the most effective is a combination of model-based work and a mixture of cgi.

And true, the work done on Star Trek isn't perfect, but given the amount of work that had to be done, the budget and time contraints, I think they did a fantastic job and disagree about THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE. It was a worthy effort.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Part of the problem with the original BG is that it created and then relied on a series of stock effects shots. There was little excitement in watching the show from week to week since the effects shots were often the same or similar. Nothing against the show; I like it in a nostalgic way and it retains a certain charm even 30 years later. But the effects on the show, which were very good, were re-used too often for my tastes.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

I agree. Just watched the updated Doomsday and it was excellent. The work may not capture the live model ambience but what was done in this episode improved it and the story.

DALLAS Guy

Agent
Real Name
Steve

Yes this is exactly my point in that they reuse the same stock footage of space battles/scenes throughout much of the original series (same shots several times in many episodes) and therefore those scenes are too repetitious, predictable and uninspiring.

I don't mind the models they used and as pointed out by others the effects were the best at the time, but there's no freshness or variety to the space shots as they're all practically the same or very similar!

So I'm in favor of updated CGI space battles/scenes to breathe new life into the episodes with fresh, exciting space battles and scenes. For nostalgic purposes we still have the original series space shots/scenes on DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Place me in the "no touch" crowd. BSG holds up in the effects department. In fact, I was blown away at how well the theatrical film and the series has held up.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Don't. Touch. It.

As has already been mentioned, ST had a couple things going for it: devoted fans who will buy anything; a syndication deal to recoup money; the HD DVD deal/Toshiba financing; a larger fan base and more culture recognition.

This won't happen.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson

I agree 100%.

From the premiere episode, the attack on Caprica in particular is just outstanding. Yes they reuse the same effects over and over but I don't mind.

This show will always take me back to being 10 years old and waiting for Sunday evening.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Please don't ruin this like Star Trek, no touching is needed. Perfect as is.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
The original BG was a masterpiece. Living Legend. Lost Planet of the Gods, and War of the Gods are probably three of the best stories written for television. BG was supposed to be a series of movies that aired as a huge mini series however the network wanted a series.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Exactly. I do not like shows being modified after the fact. The special effects in all of these older shows should be left intact - Star Trek included. Some of us appreciate the work that went into preCGI effects work, even if it doesn't look as slick as modern productions.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Also agree. I was watching Starship Troopers on BD the other day, and was slightly surprised to see how well it held up, until I realised that they had used models and it wasn't all CGI.

As a tool, CGI certainly has its uses, but unfortunately it's gone so far that too many productions use it as a way to get a 'cheap thrill', emphasis on the 'cheap'.

At least new BSG does its CGI very well.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Not always. Serenity/Firefly is proof of that. I do agree with you that most tv productions are cheap in their use of CGI. However, if you give an artist time he can create some very striking images on screen. It seems people have a wonderlust to see shows of the sci-fi kind remade or remastered with new effects. Now, I'm all for remastering and sometimes when done, effects look shitty. In those instances I would agree with revamped effects. I don't believe Battlestar falls in that catagory. A remaster would be nice, though.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
For me this isn't a competition as to whether CGI looks better or not, it is a matter of preserving the original program/film for posterity, including all the (often) ground breaking special effects created back then which paved the way for the technology of today. It is one thing to go back and clean up matte lines or erase wires - things that weren't intended to be seen - but redoing scenes with CGI is revisionism, and disrespectful to all those who worked on creating the original images.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson

Exactly. Also, would the CGI artists know where to put the "F**k Off" that is spelt out in the Caprica fly over. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks