Battlestar Galactica fans: Prepare to cry

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

....because the blasphemy is so deep, that you can't wade through it
    Ron Moore has blasphemed Galactica with his HORRIFIC, UNNECCESSARY WHOLESALE ALTERATIONS. Here's some highlights, get out the barf bucket
    http://www.filmjerk.com/archives/021...galactica.html
    Kara "Starbuck" Thrace, in her late 20s to early 30s, is a loner, which makes her an oddity among the Galactica’s tight-knit crew of pilots
    That and the fact that the Council President is an ally. One of the most important original dynamics WAS THE RUB BETWEEN THE MILITARY AND CIVILIAN GOVERNMENTS
    Abortion starts production March 2003

2. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

Another notch in the belt for the Sci-Fi channel.

...Excuse me I would like to order one BattleStar Galctica.. Umm leave out the good stuff.. and make it crappy.. yey thanks...oh yey throw some PC in there and change the cool bachelor Starbuck into a female ..but add a hot robot eye candy babe like that seven of nine from Star Trek and give her a number for a name...
    And while you are at it why don't you just poke me in the eye....

Just some more fuel for us who are very displeased with the state of the Sci-Fi channel.

3. Michael St. Clair

Some of it sounds pretty cool to me.
    Then again, I'm not interested in a literal remake or a continuation of the original series. I'm not really interested of a literal remake or continuation of hardly any old sci-fi shows.
    And Ron Moore deserves at least some benefit of the doubt based on his past work.
    However, I won't ever again watch an unlimited series on Sci-Fi/USA after they backtracked on their commitment to Farscape in mid-arc. I'll give the mini-series a look or two, but not any unlimited series they pick up.

4. Ron McBadger

Ron McBadger Stunt Coordinator

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I will second Michael and say this doesn't sound all bad, tho the description of "Starbuck" is a little cringeworthy. Funny, but it looks like they gave Apollo Starbuck's personality...

Jason

6. Chad Seymour

Chad Seymour Stunt Coordinator

If they are gonna do crap like that, I wish they would just make it "BG: The Next Generation" and not try to re-invent the original cast. I like having the history of a show to fall back on. A lot of the new Star Trek stuff may be crap, but at least it is all loosely linked. They are doing this same type stuff with the Superman franchise too...

Chad

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Count me out! Starbuck into 'StarBabe?!!!' That's all we need, another good looking woman who is ultimately too stuck up to talk to anyone and would rather jog in her sports bra and hate the way everyone is staring at her! But she's a LONER! This is making that dream show look downright watchable on Sci Fi!

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

But Number Six intrigues me... [​IMG]

9. Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard Stunt Coordinator

Why do you even put the Galactica name on this crap? If you want to make the show, go ahead but make it a cheap knockoff instead of a remake. Change all the names and don't compare it to the original series. At least that way you don't alienate the Galactica fans you probably want in your audience. Having a recognizable name doesn't do a show any good if it drives away everybody it has any meaning to.

I might watch a show that's a Battlestar clone but I won't watch something revisionist that destroys my childhood memories.

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Holy! That synopsis, or whatever it is, looks GREAT!

In the original series the Cylons were just some vague enemy, but in this revision of it, they've got history.

Motivations that seemed completely senseless in the original (Baltar deciding to sell out all of humanity just so he could be spared) make sense in this revision - a lot of sense.

Adama, who in the original didn't seem very military like as he fleed, now is more of a tragic figure, and has a moral guide in the form of that woman.

And Apollo and Starbuck's gay relationship has been changed to a heterosexual one thanks to making Starbuck female. Or did you think Starbuck's cigar was just a cigar?

I was a fan of the original Galactica, and it was fine for my eight year old mind at the time. But this revision of it has the added layers of complexity that I'd appreciate now. I hope this turns out as well as the synopsis suggests it might.

Sounds like a lot more intruige and Roman Senate type of stuff.

I also like the way they're reversed Earth from being a lost expedition to being the source of humanity. Something to make us Earthlings feel proud.

11. Jeff Kleist

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I agree, Will. The main complaint seems to be "it's not the same", but slavish adherence to the source should not necessarily be the first priority in any adaptation/update. And if Ron Moore thinks this will make for a better show... Well, I trust the guy.

13. Will_B

Will_B Producer

It's the same reaction that some theatre goers express when a play is adapted to be in another time period or so forth. It keeps the drama interesting and fresh.

14. Jeff Kleist

Adapted is one thing, wholesale changes quite another. The original dynamic has been destroyed

15. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

16. Jeff Kleist

I admit the fact that Ron Moore is one of the few people out there that can be counted on not to deliver to 100% hunk of crap
    I REALLY object to making Starbuck a woman, couldn't they just have had Sheba be there? How about Commander Cain? Will his character be introduced again in some form?
    I know that until his death, Lloyd Bridges had stated many times how much he'd love to play Cain again (Cain was schedualed to come back in November sweeps of Season 2 FYI). Unfortunately Jeff and Beau just don't have the edge he delivered that made him so memorable [​IMG]

17. Michael St. Clair

Would you guys have been so pissed off if they had decided to not reuse any of the old names (Adama, Apollo, Starbuck), but left the new premise and characters exactly the same?
    Is all this bile about recycling old names onto different characters, and not the setup of the show itself?

18. Jeff Kleist

I would have been more warm to a complete and total character revamp rather than putting totally new people into the roles with most but not all of the same traits and names.

19. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I agree they simply could have the Battlestar as a multigenerational ship several hundred years into it's Journey and thefans would've bought it. Producers seem to always listen to the want of the fans long enough to take a 360 approach and do exactly the opposite of what they want. And Ron Moore was alf the creative team who thought Killing Captain Kirk would be cool but then could'nt come up with a good way to do it.

Where's My Galactica DVD?

20. Jeff Kleist