What's new

Battlestar Galactica disc died on me (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I was watching the original Battlestar Galactica 3 hour pilot film last night. When it got to the layer switch it paused for much longer than my Oppo player usually takes. The next scene started skipping and I realized that it had skipped a whole chapter. I tried it again and it acted up again so I tried it on my second player. On the second player it would just freeze at the layer switch and not do anything. I tried to load a copy using DVD Shrink to see if I could burn a copy and again no good. This is the first DVD that has died on me. It looks like a couple brownish spots developed near the disc hub.

Anyone else have a problem with this set? I purchased it on the day it came out back in 2003. It played fine then and this is only the second time I watched this episode. Makes you wonder if all duel layered discs days are numbered.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Rick,

Is there a fairly easy way of finding out which discs one owns are DVD 18? Is it listed on the disc somewhere (or perhaps on the container)? Thanks.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

They are the double sided, duel layer discs that Universal was so in love with a few years ago. Just about everything they put out on those discs has turned to crap. Even when new, many people had problems with them. I had trouble with a few. Adam-12, Emergency season 1, Northern Exposure season 1, were the problem sets i had. My Adam-12 didnt have a lick of trouble until last year, then one of the discs started doing what Jonathan described.
DVD 14s are similar, and FOX likes those for the Irwin Allen stuff. But, i have not had any trouble with those. Except scratched discs when i bought them. Nothing an exchange at the time didnt fix. It really sucks when something you have had 5 years wont play, when the urge to watch it hits. Galactica wasnt cheap either!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Rick,

Thanks. I own The A-Team, Adam-12, Knight Rider, The Outer Limits, and The Waltons on double-sided discs. Thus far, I've had no problems with any of these except for TOL, which I eventually replaced. It sounds like it's only a matter of time for some of the others.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I too bought mine the day of release and checked them last night based on your post. I ran mine through the DVD analysis function in DVD Shrink and also visually scanned the discs for any spots/discoloration/etc. No bad sectors were detected, they appeared to be fine. Perhaps your set is simply from a defective batch?
In any case, Universal should offer to swap out your set if you contact them, because that's bullshit. They should last longer, especially when you pay over $80 for them like they originally cost.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Yeah, I contacted them about getting replacement copies. So far the other ones look okay. I really hate these dual sided discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks