What's new

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - coming this fall! (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
About bloody time! I actually placed an order for the R4 version when it was announced, and was supposed to be released last year. It was then held up, presumably because TPTB in USA decided to remake (reimagine? hate the concept...) BSG and presumably decided to have a good go at a proper SE release, and R4 evidently decided to wait for the R1 work to be completed.

I have fond memories of BSG. I hardly remember anything of G80 though. Probably for good reason...

As others have opined, I don't see the point of including badly edited telemovies. But Return of Starbuck would be a nice extra. As theoretically would the whole of G80, but one suspects they'll wait and see how well the main set sells before investing any moolah in doing a G80 set, which in any case they'll realise will not sell anything near a BSG set -- perhaps a bare-bones release would be in order.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No one mentioned a first season. This is from the Sci Fi Wire.

"The Battlestar Galactica game is scheduled for a fall release for the Xbox and PlayStation 2, in conjunction with the home-video and DVD release of the original series. SCI FI's Battlestar Galactica will debut in December."

It says the original series. The original air dates were '78 to '80, so I'd have to assume that this meant ALL of them.

Glenn

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
John, from IMDb:

There are two versions of this film: A stand-alone TV movie, and a pilot/first episode of a series. In the stand-alone version, Baltar is executed halfway through. This version was actually released theatrically first in Canada before the TV version aired in the USA. It was eventually released to theatres worldwide (including the U.S.). When it became apparent that the series would in fact be made, an alternate ending and version of Baltar's execution scene was filmed. In the Series version, Baltar is "held for public execution" instead of being beheaded at once. When the Cylon "Imperious Leader" who ordered his execution is killed in the explosion of the planet Carrillon, his successor order's Baltar's release so Baltar can command the Cylon Base Star that will chase the human refugees throughout the series. All this information is given in an "Epilogue" tacked on at the end of the film.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm not absolutely sure but I believe the current DVD version was the truncated Theatrical version they cut down for time & released in Sensurround in 1978.
The original network aired two part pilot was around three hours long.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The current version is the Canadian theatrical version which played the summer before the series aired on TV, with the original Baltar plotline, later changed for TV. Confused the hell out of me as a kid having seen the film in the theater.

mark-edk

Second Unit
There were scenes in the tv pilot that weren't in the movie version. And a few scenes in the movie that were cut from the tv pilot. What I wish they would do, and probably won't, is include all scenes from both versions.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I've been waiting for this one to come out this year since the announcement. Figured it would be around the time of the SF mini-series for maximum impact. It would be great to see them include The Return of Starbuck in the set as a bonus. That's definitely the only worthwhile Galactica 80 episode.

By your command, I will buy this set.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I hope we get the extended version of the pilot this time.
They'll use the 3 episode version of the pilot which is in syndication. That only lacks the "Starbuck and Cassie in the launch tube" and a couple of other minor scenes(excluding the Baltar executed version). A few fans have put together a "director's cut" of the pilot, but I'll be happy with the syndicated version. Just buy the current DVD

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
That only lacks the "Starbuck and Cassie in the launch tube"
I assume you are not referring to the episodes recently aired on Sci-Fi, as that version included this scene (assuming you are referring to the "Hey I'm jealous, I'll turn on the steam jets!" scene).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I remember that scene from broadcast, as I know I've seen it many times, and doubt my memory is THAT good from one theatrical viewing.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing BSG in the theaters in the US when I was a kid...did they release it to theaters after it originally aired on TV? I am confused...

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I remember seeing BSG in the theaters in the US when I was a kid...did they release it to theaters after it originally aired on TV? I am confused...
Yes. They released a 2-hour edited version that originally played in Europe and Canada before the US TV debut.

You know, if Universal is smart (read: greedy) they will release G80 as a separate box set, knowing full well that a lot of hardcore fanboys will buy just to have "The Return of Starbuck."

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree about G80, but would also like to see an anamorphic version of the existing disc.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I hope they took advantage of the seamless branching feature so that they could reuse those 6 special effects shots they use in every episode. :D

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Purported Price of "Battlestar Galactica" per episode... $1,000,000
Estimated price of Box set... $39.99-$49.99 opening week...
Above comment by Max re: seamless branching for FX shots... PRICELESS

:) D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks