What's new

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome Teaser trailer! (catch it quick before it's taken down) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, these trailer-uploads are getting cancelled faster than a baby at Planned Parenthood right now. Wonder how much longer this one lasts?
Syfy's finally moving forward with this? They've sat on it for so long now, I figured they were just running out the clock on the cast-options or something.
Regardless, very surprised last night. Was not expecting this.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That reeks of a deliberate leak to me, so Syfy can get away with using a song they'd never get the rights to use legitimately. From what it shows, I think it suffers a bit from the decision to go the Sanctuary route rather than use physical sets. Otherwise, it looks pretty awesome.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
That reeks of a deliberate leak to me, so Syfy can get away with using a song they'd never get the rights to use legitimately.
That seems like a pretty solid theory. I saw the video this morning and thought it was a well-made fan video since it used that song. That being said, I'm happy that it looks cool and since I had kinda figured they'd dropped the show after all this time, I'm happy that it seems like they're actually going forward with it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Man...if fully-greenscreened projects have finally reached parity with their 100%-practical-set counterparts (as this trailer seems to indicate), then the studio can greenscreen this shit to their heart's content, as far as I'm concerned.
Like Adam mentioned, shows like Sanctuary first pioneered this production model, and in past years, the results weren't always stellar. But this show has Drexler and Mojo as the returning BSG VFX MVPs, and I have to admit that though even I was skeptical of the whole notion early on, I was fucking blown away by that trailer.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
38fb0ce1_always-sunny-in-philadelphia-mac-shirt.png

GOD...DAMMIT.
BSG: Blood & Chrome TV Series Dead at Syfy.
The whole, "too-expensive-for-the-network" bullshit was actually reported to be a total smokescreen back in December by io9.com -- essentially, the network now wants to move away from the "space SF" milieu (and into more reality shows and wrestling), but the B&C pilot was already greenlit and in the pipeline at that point.
Mark Stern then began spewing this whole "costliness" nonsense to deflect attention away from the fact that the pilot was actually completed on-time and on-budget months previously, with Doug Drexler basically debunking Stern's BS on his blog (establishing that B&C's visual effects took no longer and cost no more to complete than a few average Sanctuary episodes).
This was not a "Terra Nova" situation, regardless of what the network brass have said.
Syfy is "sci-fi" in name only these days, and I'm not surprised. About the only consolation we'll get is that, if the pilot movie scores boffo ratings-numbers when it airs, the network might reconsider it. Beyond that, Alphas, and the final Eureka season, I'm washing my hands of them completely.
They have absolutely no idea what they want to be right now. As soon as they figure that out, I'll learn to respect them again.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's easy to bash SyFy, but I have to tell you, I'm glad this is dead. This is a series that didn't need to change up, and needed a break.. I guess I felt that way with Stargate:Universe which felt horrific to me as someone who loved SG:1 and kind of tolerated Atlantis.. but I'd prefer they find new programming that works.

While it hasn't caught on like I wish it had, "Being Human" US is light fun; "Lost Girl" is also quite surprisingly good. Both would fall more into the fantasy camp.. along with "Merlin" which is a BBC import; as well as my enjoyment of Sanctuary.. frankly, I'd take any of those four shows above almost anything of SGU, etc.

Now, I do wish they'd kill off the wrestling, but considering that's their highest rated programming, there is no way that happens. *shrug* A network has to make money... then again, I wish they'd just commission a whole new run of Outer Limits and call it good. I'll give their new show Defiance a shot as well.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Regarding SyFy, I'm not happy that they're killing Eureka, but otherwise happy with shows like Haven, Lost Girl, etc.
But a space show or two would be nice...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Forgot about Lost Girl when writing my earlier post. That show's great. Also, Warehouse 13 has Saul Rubinek and a hot redhead.
But yet, for about a day or so there, I was starting to worry that Syfy was actually going to start showing Syence Fyction programming again.
Although I can't figure how releasing the series as a "digital" show is somehow more cost-effective than broadcasting it on cable. The production costs are exactly the same. At least on Syfy, they get ad-revenue. What don't I understand?
(Apart from the fact that the timeslot could be better served by putting in a different show that would presumably get higher ratings than Blood & Chrome? Like Sharktopus?)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by joshEH /t/319494/battlestar-galactica-blood-chrome-teaser-trailer-catch-it-quick-before-its-taken-down#post_3909540
Forgot about Lost Girl when writing my earlier post. That show's great. Also, Warehouse 13 has Saul Rubinek and a hot redhead.
But yet, for about a day or so there, I was starting to worry that Syfy was actually going to start showing Syence Fyction programming again.
Although I can't figure how releasing the series as a "digital" show is somehow more cost-effective than broadcasting it on cable. The production costs are exactly the same. At least on Syfy, they get ad-revenue. What don't I understand?
(Apart from the fact that the timeslot could be better served by putting in a different show that would presumably get higher ratings than Blood & Chrome? Like Sharktopus?)
Compensation to actors and crew for residuals on a digital show are next to nothing in comparison to broadcast on TV. Makes a huge difference.

They have some programming in the wings, three new shows this year...I know SyFy is going to come out with "Defiance" which is a fair budget show with a pretty big cast... we'll see how that works out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
I say this based on nothing but that makes me think that the show doesn't measure up (in terms of effects and scale) to what has become the norm on television. If Sy-Fy can't or isn't interested in spending the money, they should just squander the money on making Roger Corman ironic bullshit instead of trying to halfass something that could be good.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Surprise, Syfy Executives: Virtual sets cost real money.
Looks like the world has come to a point where nothing is "worth the cost" anymore, except studies into whether something is "worth the cost."
In a very roundabout, perverse, and illogical way, the notion that Blood & Chrome somehow doesn't fit Syfy's current programming "direction" actually leads me to think that the movie might perhaps be of some quality after all.
Other than stuff like giving Alphas a series-pickup and renewal (which is the exception which proves the rule, being high-quality), and carrying Lost Girl in the U.S., every other decision made by the network brass up to this point is pretty much a textbook example of the existence of the Law of Opposites.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Here's a toast to the next Syfy Original Movie, which will likely feature (throw dart):
(A) Nazis
(B) Sharks
(C) Cloning
(D) Mutation
(E) Guns
(F) All of the above.
At least they managed to keep Lou Diamond Phillips employed for a while on a new Stargate series, instead of an SS Doomtrooper.
I'm just waiting for them to greenlight Ice Spiders: The Series.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Really since the whole rebranding name, the network has continued to go downhill, and any chance of getting a series worth watching is going out the window. First I don’t get the whole scrubbed clean image that Sy Fy seems to want, but fails to deliver ratings continually because of, I mean come on the biggest ratings on it is for wrestling.

Saw the footage and damn, I was impressed, and wanted to see this now, so here is the idea. Universal/ and the producers should shop this to one of the other networks that have a cutting edge, and not afraid to push it, AMC- if they can do Walking Dead, or FX Sons of Anarchy, Archer, Justified, just imagine BSG B&C unleashed in a way that SyFy never would let happen. Where and adult drama with violence and action does not need to be dumbed down. I hope that someone in a position of authority gets this idea as well.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Read an article the other day where it was mentioned that Universal might be shopping this show around to other networks, now that the Comcast deal has evidently taken the piss out of things at Syfy.
Netflix would be an ideal home, given their recent push into original programming -- maybe they ought to think about throwing some of that Terra Nova money in B&C's general direction instead.
The Sci-Fi Channel just bumbled luckily onto Battlestar Galactica. Now it's called "Syfy," a moniker that means absolutely nothing. Just as the History Channel is almost devoid of history these days. I'd love to see that channel do more real SF, but I'm not expecting it.
(Oh shit -- gotta run. Mansquito and Dinocroc vs. Supergator is on!)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I used to long to have have Sci-Fi: BSG, Stargate, and other interesting bits.

Now that I've got it, it's the 'rasseling' channel. :(

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Not directly connected to B&C per se...but it kinda is:
Syfy Cancels Sanctuary.
Now they're down to just Alphas, Warehouse 13, Haven, and Being Human for their scripted output (Lost Girl is an import-show, not produced by Syfy directly). The people on those shows HAVE to be sweating, right now. Defiance is a huge anomaly, and I'm wondering how it even made it into production, considering the current attitude of Comcast/Syfy.
"Ghost Wrestlers" will be the culmination of Syfy's final descent into stupidity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks