Battlestar Galactica 2.5 this September

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    And now the inevitable cries of a "boycott" or "protest" to get Universal to release one complete S2 set will commence.

Still, September is what a lot of us pegged from the very beginning. New season in October, release previous set just before premiere.

3. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Yep, no surprise here.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Thank you, Paul. [​IMG] I'm just waiting for the whining and complaing to happen on other, less civilized boards.

5. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

If you want, I could start venting a little. HEH!!!

6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Glad to have a release date. Whatever the issues with splitting the season, this is the finest that TV, DVD or the science fiction genre have to offer, and I'm glad its coming.

7. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Well, between that and Babylon 5... [​IMG] [​IMG]

But I'm still steamed that there's been no word yet on a "Complete Second Season" combined box set, for those of us who sat out the "Season 2.0" release (which is semantically and logically wrong -- it should've been "Season 1.5," with the inevitable combo box being "Season 2.0," et cetera).

8. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I can predict with some confidence that there will never be a true combined second season set (based on the fact that no one who has released split seasons in the past, such as Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, has ever gone back and put out a combined season set).

The best we can hope for is a shrink wrapped bundle of both the "2.0" and "2.5" sets.

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Whilst a combined set would have been nice, what I wish is if the producers were up front about saying so, e.g. "We've split it so that you can have the first half as early as possible, but the extras we've put there already are the only ones we're doing, likewise with the second half that will be out later. We have no plans to combine the two sets into a single release, nor to produce more extras for inclusion."

Of course, they'll never emphatically close the door on a potential money-making double-dip, hence the guessing game we're all playing now.

FWIW, the extras on 2.0 look comprehensive enough, I'm sure 2.5 won't disappoint. In those circumstances, leaving out the price issue, does it really make a huge difference whether you get Season 2 in a single release or in two halves? Not to me it doesn't. Maybe at best, there will be a release of the two halves not just shrink wrapped but with a cardboard tray to hold them, like the "Complete ST:TOS" was sold.

10. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

*shrug* I for one liked having the first half of the season in December. I don't watch this show in broadcast (I don't watch anything in broadcast these days, work hours prohibit it). The price is a minor concern, but having half of it nine months earlier? Espeically given the fact that the storylines for season one are basically wrapped up in episode seven of season two? No question in my book.

11. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

I must concur I do like this manner of release as well. I dont waste my time with most shows worth watching, on TV as comercials and inferior picture and sound quality make the hour a waste of time. Perhaps when I finally own a hi-def PVR that lets me burn my shows from there, in hi def without commmericals, to DVD...I will sing a different song.

12. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

lost in space season 1 was a complete set, and all dvd 9s

13. Torquil

Torquil Agent

weird: region 2 gets the entire series in one pack and earlier....... comes out on 14th Aug

14. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason

Subsequent seasons were split into two volumes because of poor sales and Fox wanting to make sure they released them. Different number of episodes and different circumstances, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

15. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

"Monk" airs on USA in different "parts" throughout the year.

In the early years, they aired 12 or 13 eps each year. Since then, they have "broken up" their order and shown most in the summer with a handful (6 or so) in the winter.

The "Season 2" and "Season 3" DVD sets were 17 eps (which aired at different times during the year) and the Season 4 set will be 16 episodes.

Personally, I'd rather see them wait on the BSG sets.

Not that it is a big deal or anything, but it might help a bit with "sticker shock" if they'd combine them and lower the overall price that folks are paying for a set.