Battlestar Galactica 2.0 Says 'Widescreeen'

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ravma, Dec 19, 2005.

1. ravma

ravma Stunt Coordinator

Yes, Widescreeen. I saw it tonight, and the packages list the aspect ratio as 'Widescreeen 1.78:1'. Seriously, WHAT is going on at Universal?

But this wording also scares me a bit, with the whole House S1 debacle. So this begs the question:

Can anyone with the set confirm if this is anamorphic?!

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

The S1 sets were all anamorphic weren't they? If so, then I don't see why they wouldn't do so with any of the S2 sets.

3. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

i think his point is that it says Widescreeen and not Widescreen with 2 e's

4. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Obviously, Widescreeen is better than widescreen. [​IMG] I'm not sure how but it has to be special, right?

5. ravma

ravma Stunt Coordinator

That was my point, but my other point was that it does NOT say Anamorphic, and with Universal saying that House Season 1 was letterboxed because it was 'rushed', I'm worried they did the same thing for this set too.

Widescreeen: Because at Universal, 2 e's just weren't enough.

6. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

It's anamorphic

Gord

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Now I hafta figure out if I'm going to splurge on this that day after Christmas considering I haven't watched S1 yet (plus that 39.99 sticker price is a bit high, I think...but we're NOT talking about that!).

8. ravma

ravma Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Gord!

Hey Gord, can you pass this on to Universal in your next batch of complaints? [​IMG] After what they did on House, it NEEDS to say Anamorphic Widescreen, not just Widescreen.

Jason: Right now, It's 32.99 at Circuit City. Plus, buy Serenity and you save 10.00. (There's a coupon on the box.)

9. Curtis F

Curtis F Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure this was how she was supposed to do it, but I just got Battlestar Season 2.0 AND Serenity at Best Buy for a grand total of 30.98 plus tax. They have a sticker on the box of each that says buy Serenity and Battlestar, get ten dollars off. The sales clerk took ten dollars off of both. Serenity was 7.99 and Battlestar was 22.99. Like I said, I'm not sure she was supposed to take ten bucks off of both, but I'm not complaining!

10. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Why would any one buy Battlestar 2.0?

Doesn't anyone believe that a full season box will get a release after season 2 completes?

I know there is the 2.0 (out now) and 2.5 to follow at the conclusion of season 2.

But certainly we will see a full season 2 box... no?

11. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    FWIW, I pulled my copy of Season One off the shelf yesterday, and it also features "Anamorphic Widescreeen " [​IMG]

12. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

The extra "e" stands for "Earth". As long as it appears on the DVD packages, then the fleet won't find it.

And please, if they have found Earth, don't tell me. I haven't gotten to this season yet--cursed Netflix!

13. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I don't know that there's any precedent for this for Universal, but I almost have to ask what the point would be of this? I doubt there would be any added content, and since double-dipping in the TV realm is not very common, I can't seen a beefed up boxset coming in a year or so. Of course I could be wrong, but my feeling is even if they did combine them, there wouldn't be any price break.

I was happy to buy it now.

14. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Well, Chris, for me it comes down to a couple reasons:

1) I haven't seen all 10 eppys aired so far and I want to watch on Friday night's in January...so I need to catch up.

2) There is a price break right now on the set with Serenity.

3) If a full S2 release comes out, I sincerely doubt any extra material will make it on the set. I can see Uni putting all 20 eppys together to form a "collector set" before S3 airs, but that's it. And even if they did combine the seasons with extra footage, there's always Ebay and Half.com to get rid of what I have already.

15. Gord Lacey

Crank Yankers hasn't done a complete season 2 set
    Sex and the City didn't do a complete season 6 set
    Lost in Space didn't do a complete season 2 set, or season 3 set

I can only think of a few cartoons that were released in season sets and then followed up with a season set. Can anyone come up with a live-action show that was released as seperate volumes and then followed up with a season set?

Gord

16. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

The other why/if:
    Does 2.0 contain the extended version of the half season cliffhanger? If so, some would get it just to see the clipped minutes off Pegasus.

17. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I don't. Universal might put out both sets in a shrinkwrapped package like other series have done but it will never put out a single second season set. Those who purchased both sets would scream bloody murder.

And if no one buys 2.0 because they're waiting for this mythical complete second season set, Universal might decide that 2.5 won't sell either and scrap it.

18. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

CC sucks [​IMG]

I went there last night, totally forgetting BS 2.0 was out.

I picked up Serenity and saw the coupon....so I went to pick up 2.0.

They didn't have it...I went and found the sales droid, he claims there is no BS 2.0 and goes and looks it up on the computer and cannot find it.

back to BB tonight.

19. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Answer: Star Trek TOS.

But then that was a complete 3 season release, albeit on 2 episode discs that took nearly 3 years. I don't think this is a proper example Gord was looking for since DVD TV was in it's infancy then.

I think Gord is right from what I read on the TVShowsonDVD site, Galactica will see two boxes for the first and second half of the second season with no single re-release box. Until they do the super duper box that has all the seasons.

20. Gord Lacey

Yeah, that's not the right example [​IMG] There are a few examples of that, but nothing I can think of where a split season like this is released in a full season set later on.

Gord