Battlefield 1942 - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott McGillivray, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

I played the single and multi-player demos of this game and thought that it had some really good potential. I picked up the full version on Saturday when it was released and played around with it for a while.

First thing I noticed was that my GeForce 2MX 64MB video card was not keeping up very well. That seemed odd since the graphics, while nice, were not groundbreaking.

Internet play was quite poor, even on the buffed-up EA servers. Very laggy. Hopefully they fix that up soon.

Single-player action was much better in terms of zero lag (which should be expected) but some odd things like the computer bots jumping in & out of vehicles over and over.

I don't like the fact that the sniper is so weak and grenades are so strong. It would be impossible for a grenade to take out a tank. Not looking for total realism, but a line must be drawn somewhere.

Anyone else try this out?

2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I have found it laggy online as well, even on cable. I have a pretty beefy computer as well GF4 ti4400 and at 1024x768 it gets choppy at parts.

I am really annoyed at the AI. It seems that the opposing team is smart as a whip but my team completely blows. They get in the tank and just sit there, not going anywhere. I couldn't even order them. Then when you drive they do that jumping in and out thing. What is the point? Those parts are just annoying.

It is a good game over all and I hope some things get ironed out with patches.

3. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

i find the sniper rifle to be quit powerful...

one shot in the head/face/neck and they are dead

thats how i make my living in the game, i like to hide in bushes and snipe guys that are approaching/defending/

4. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

Im running an AMD athlon xp1800+,512 ddr, and a geforce 2mx400. WIll this run alright just with single player?

5. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I played this game all last weekend (like 8 hours a day!).

I was totally addicted. I think the multiplayer is the best thing since counter-strike. I found no lag whatsoever, after getting setup properly. For those reporting lag (and i have seen lots of other people reporting it in other forums), make sure you set your connection options. I use the "ADSL - 256KBps" setting, as I have 384 SDSL connection. That setting makes a big difference.

Also, I have found that playing at anything higher that 1024x768 seems laggy due to low framerates.

I have the game setup as follows:

1024x768x32
    Lightmaps disabled
    View distance 100%
    texture quality 80%
    Everthing else maxxed.
    sound: 22khz, high quality

My system is an Athlon 1900, 512 MB CAS2 PC3000 ram, GF 4 4400. I get 50+ fps with the above settings. Online play is smooth as silk on the EA servers.

I did find single player to be pretty bad. The campaigns are OK, but "instant battle" doesnt work very well. The AI is pretty bad. Also, none of the radio commands work for directing your team. The readme file states that only a few of the radio commands are supposed to work with the AI (Hold this Position, bail out, get in), but I dont see them working either. It is very frustrating to have no control over your team, especially since they just kind of wander around aimlessly at most times.

But I dont expect I will be playing single player too much anyway, so the poor AI doesnt bother me.

Multiplayer is a blast. I played with my brother, and it really helps to have someone working with you. Playing alone in multiplayer was frustrating because the teams just dont want to work together. Teamwork is a must to be succesfull (especially on CTF).

Some tips:

- type "console.showfps 1" in the console to have your frames/sec displayed in the game. (console opens with by pressing the ~ key). replace the 1 with a 0 to turn this off.

- Use artillery + scouts. If you can get a scout to use thier binoc's to spot a target, artillery can be a huge advantage. My bro and I used this tactic alot on Wake Island CTF. If you hold the airbase, you can scout the enemies spawn point and use the big artillery guns to bombard them. This kills most of thier vehicles right when they spawn, and is very disruptive to the enemy.

- Dont wait for airplanes! I hate it when half my team is waiting at the airbase for a plane to spawn. Planes arent that great, you cant score points while flying. I used the planes only to parachute behind enemy lines. Flying around bombing tanks doesnt help all that much. Air support can help, but isnt a substitute for a good infantry attack.

- When sniping, lay down and wait before you fire. If you zoom in with the sniper rifle, you will notice that the crosshairs float around a little bit. If you wait about 3 seconds, the movement stops, and you can take much better aim. I like the way sniping is handled. In Counter-Strike, a good AWP sniper can dominate. In this game, snipers can be very deadly but cant dominate a map.

- Also when sniping, hold down the fire button after you shoot. This will keep you zoomed in and you can see if you hit the target, or where you missed. This helps a little bit.

- Play with friends and use GameVoice. It really helps to have teamates working together, and gamevoice is a must have for any multiplayer game.

I attempted to host a dedicated server last weekend, but only 6 players could join before it bogged down (guess my spare P3-800 wasnt enough to handle it).

I will be playing on the EA servers this weekend. If anyone wants to team up, let me know. I will have a dedicated GameVoice Server up that we can use.

Jeff

6. BrettisMckinney

I'm addicted too. But i was wondering, in the multiplayer section, if i wanted to play it over a lan with 2 or 3 friends, can you put bots in to play against? My connection isn't fast enough to play on the net and it would awesome to play with a couple of friends, but it would suck if its only the 4 of us on these huges maps. It would be pointless

7. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I just tried a local/LAN match with max player of 4 and it spawned 3 bots to fight along (and against me). Stands to reason that it would remove them when human players joined. All you do is set up a Co-op server and set the number of players you want in the game. Bots will automatically take up the remaining slots.

So, I think you're set. Note that the more CPU cycles you allocate to the bots the better they'll be. So you may want to think about setting up a dedicated server for large botmatches.

8. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I've been really enjoying the multiplayer. I haven't touched the single player game at all. I'm running a cable modem and haven't had many lag problems.

9. Benjamin_L

Benjamin_L Stunt Coordinator

Haven't played the game, but I found a hilarious review over at somethingawful.com. Be forewarned that some of other links hosted on their site are in extremely poor taste. Their game reviewer has a habit of getting really basic details utterly wrong, but only for a laugh or as a way to piss off uptight fans. Anyone found out if any of these quirks are authentic?
    The tank-spawning bug is the best.[​IMG]

10. Jeff Peake

The Something Awful review was mostly correct.

Except you can skip the opening movies to the game....delete EA.bik, Dice.bik, legal.bik and intro.bik from the movies folder.

Also, I think he exaggerated the load time between levels. It is usally 30-60 seconds for me (Western Digital 7200RPM HD, 8MB buffer).

His review was correct, the single player game is nearly worthless. If you are buying this game solely for the single player missions, skip it.

But multiplayer games, playing with friends with voice chat software is great. Teamwork is essential to win, and most teams just dont work together. 2 or 3 guys working together can dominate.

Anyone up for some multiplayer this weekend????? Let me know.

Jeff

11. Todd Terwilliger

Jeff I'm in but I don't have a mic setup for voice chat. What name do you use online? I'm [HTF] Union Carbine.

12. Jeff Peake

Todd:
    My online name is Thro. Its hard without voice chat, just to coordinate what server to play in can be challenging.
    Do you use MSN Messenger?
    You can get a decent Mic for about $5, makes playing so much more enjoyable.
    I will be on MSN probably later tonight (around 8 or 9 EDT). My MSN name is [email protected]
    Jeff

13. Todd Terwilliger

Hey Jeff,
    I'm on MSN. My nick is [email protected] Maybe I'll try to pick up a mic over the weekend.

14. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I haven't had this much fun with an online game in ages. While it does require a top machine to run this properly I still have fun even with some of the lower graphic settings on. Until I can get a better graphics card it will have to do, but its all about the gameplay on this one. The only thing I can't figure out properly is the Submarine. Although I had a bit of fun last night with it, about 5 people spawned on it and I was steering. We were a fair way out from shore so I decided to dive, they all fell in the water and I kept going full speed ahead. They got so annoyed [​IMG]. I am a team player, I just wanted a little fun.

15. BrettisMckinney

Where are the subs??

16. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

how do you make the sub dive?