What's new

Battlefield 1942 Multi-Player Demo (1 Viewer)

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
So....who has played it and what do you think?

For the last couple of weeks since the demo's release I have been playing this game almost exclusively.

There is nothing like being in a HUGE open outdoor environment being able to go anywhere you want to, drive, fly, steer, shoot anything you can get your grubby little mits on!

Basically it is a WWII first person shooter. But you don't get just a weapon like pistols, rifles, grenades and such. You can drive jeeps, tanks, APC's and fly planes and such, some have room for addition passengers that you can ferry into battle. If you are on the Axis side you start out on an Aircraft carrier or Destroyer, you can either fly over to the island, or take one of the landing craft, all the while your team mates may be manning the anti aircraft guns to try and fend off enemy attackers. Don't forget to duck when you hear the whistle of high power bombardment from bunkers built into various parts of the coastline.

I just love this demo, it is only 1 level but I am rarely ever finding things to get bored doing. The full game comes out on Sept 10, only 4 days away, and is a definite keeper in my opinion.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I was going to post something in the existing thread started by Alex, but now that you bring it up. I love this game, i've only had in for about 4 days but even on dial-up and a geforce2 i'm having a blast. I don't buy many games for the PC these days but i'll be purchasing this one the first chance I get. The only downside on the net is that too many people aren't team players and don't help defend enough, they all just rush to the nearest plane. Personally I prefer to shoot them down with AA Guns.
I do find it hard to fight hand to hand on dialup, the cable players will take me down 70% of the time in close quaters infantry battles. I can still play for hours though :).
Just one question, does anyone find it impossible to move on a ship when they are in motion?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
The more I play this the more I recognize what a special game they've made.

Luckily, many of the servers have turned Friendly Fire off to help keep the teamkilling down. I hope that when people actually have to pay for this game they will have weeded out the bad element.

I too have spent many an hour manning the AA guns. That was one aspect that I was particularly impressed with. Looking at a combined battle over the airfield is something to behold with a bunch of planes in a furball dogfight. Then one peels away and provides a great close shot of his pursuer for the AA. Brilliant.

On your question about the ship, anytime the ship moves its like you are incidentally sitting on it. So when you move around and have some lag you are bumped by the ship. So I could see that you might end up running in place on a slow connection.

The saddest part is when the Japanese never stop the point hemorrhage because they are too busy waiting for planes (that we promptly shoot down).

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
The demo is a blast - kind of like a mixture of MOHAA and Tribes 2. And according to an interview at Shacknews, Wake Island is one of the *smaller* maps. *drool*

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
What kind of rigs are you guys using? I checked the EA website and their recommended system requirements are pretty stiff. 800mhz processor and 64meg video card with T&L. That leaves my puny pc firmly on the sidelines.

I know a version is also coming to the xbox, but I have heard nothing about online support for the xbox version. Anyone with any info concerning this?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Mine is aging, but it was built with FPS games in mind.
1 Ghz PIII, 256 Meg, new GeForce Ti4200.
On the XBox version, Link Removed is IGNs stale preview of it. I assume it still on track.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I've played it a bit, and I like many of the elements, but in terms of the actual rules of the game (capturing flags, points etc) I think i prefer Day of Defeat. It seems like you could either do a heck of a lot of sitting "defending" a flag, or a lot of running and driving to get to a point that was just lost.

I just don't get the same sense of urgency that I do in other MP team games.

Also, is it impossible for the US to spawn if they lose all the spawn points? That seems a little unfair.

I'm running on a Celery 800 with a GF2MX400 w/ 64 MB of RAM, which I guess is borderline. It does run fairly well though.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Cool little game. I played it at a friend's house last night.
It was running a bit choppy (I'm unsure what his processor speed was). Unfortunately I'm using a 3-year-old PIII 450MHz, 128 RAM, 16 MEG ATI All-In-Wonder so I doubt I'll be playing it on my computer anytime soon. :frowning:

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I played the demo this weekend. I was impressed, but after playing Counter-Strike for a couple years, I find the controls feel a little sloppy. Aiming isnt so easy, but I started to get used to it and got my score up to about a 1:1 kills/deaths ratio.

One thing I could not figure out was how to fly the planes. I used the external camera view which made it alot easier, but it still seems nearly impossible to manuever the planes with any precision. What am I missing here? I could not use the mouse to fly the plane, as it just didnt seem to respond very well. Tried adjusting sensitivity, but just couldnt get it to feel right. So I generally used WASD with my left hand and the arrow keys with my right, but that didnt produce much better results. It seems everyone else was doing OK with the planes, as our tanks were getting bombed regularly. Whats the secret to flying?

Overall I was very impressed and will be picking this game up. It ran very well on my system (Athlon 1900, Geforce 4 4400, 512MB PC3000 ram)

Jeff

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I haven't played the demo yet but I am definitely looking foraward to the full game. I'll have to pick up the demo and give it a try. What's the ETA for the full game?

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I've been playing it alot as well. I hate some of the controls. It's just about impossible to walk on a moving ship. I don't know if that's a problem with my system or what?

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
For folks looking to pick this up, be aware that Best Buy will have it on sale for $39.99 starting next Sunday (read this on another board).

Jason Price

Second Unit
Next Sunday? The BF1942 site has an in-store date of 9/14 (next Saturday), and when I called a local EB today, they said they'd have it on Wednesday. I hope BB gets it earlier than Sunday - I want to use gift cards for it... :)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Is anyone having trouble getting connections on Gamespy?
Gamespy sucks, at least IMO. Aside from the constant crashs, they have advertisements at every turn and I'm not about to shell out $20 for a program that doesn't even run right. I think your better off using the game's server browser.

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Next Sunday? The BF1942 site has an in-store date of 9/14 (next Saturday), and when I called a local EB today, they said they'd have it on Wednesday. I hope BB gets it earlier than Sunday - I want to use gift cards for it...
It would be on sale starting 9/15 if this info is correct (and it has been 100% in the past). Whether or not they'll have it in the store is another matter, since the release was pushed back to the 14th at the last minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks