Battle Royale R0?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Leopold, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I've been dying to get this for some time, and this past week managed to win an auction for it on ebay. When it arrived, the package claimed it was R3, yet it plays in my player just fine, and the quality is top notch. I'm sure it's just a matter of whoever produced the DVD copying the packaging as well. I'm glad I checked it out before shooting a nasty email to the guy who sold it to me.

As for the movie, not only am I glad that I finally got to see it, but I'm definitely glad that I purchased the DVD instead of somehow renting, borrowing or downloading it. While I didn't consider it as shocking and mind-blowing as some of the reviews I read (AICN comes to mind), I still found it to be a well-crafted movie with a moving story. It also left me wanting to watch it again. I think the hype over it not (ever!) being released in the US is overblown. Sure, you've got a classful of Junio High kids killing each other, but that's where the similarities to any of the school-shooting tragedies ends. I know, a lot of people won't care about that--they'll just focus on the killing/violence aspect--but I would definitely recommend the movie to anyone who can take the violence (I personally just viewed it as a plot device).

On a side note, there was a preview on the disc for Tales of the Unusual. I'm now just as eager to see that as I had been to see BR. Especially the cell phone story. Unfortunately, it looks like it's only gotten an R3 release so far.

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Scott, the only thing I can figure is that you've either got a player that ignores the Reg 3 tag or the disc has had the region coding removed. I know that my copy of BR will not play in a Reg 1 player at all.

I have heard the Reg 0 comment before, but I have to assume that there were a limited number released with a Reg 0 tag or one of the reasons I gave above.

A good movie, and well done as well.

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Actually, all copies of Battle Royale release by Universe Video & Laser Co. are R3 discs. If it has the Universe logo and no region code, then its very likely to be a bootleg.