Battle Royale Korean repressing is R0 not R3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisJefferys, Jan 16, 2003.

1. ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to let people who don't have an all region player know that the new 2003 Korean DVD of Battle Royale is R0 not R3 like the first edition. I believe that its the same anamorphic print of the 122 min. directors cut that the 1st one had and has English subtitles. It has DTS 5.1 and DD 2.0 sound (not DD 5.1 like I saw an online advertisement state). Like the previous one, the 2nd disc of extras still does not have subtitles (the only thing keeping this from being the best edition out there! ). I believe the packaging is different as it does not have a 3D cover but it's still very nice packaging with a cardboard slipcase and is almost entirely in English (unfortunately the inserts are Korean only). So if your player can't do R3 and you want a nice DVD of the directors cut, here ya go! [​IMG]

2. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Stunt Coordinator

Did you purchase from an online dealer and if so which one ?

3. ChrisJefferys

I got it from dvdasian.com
    Actually I ordered the R3 version from them a couple of months ago but it went out of print and was put on backorder. This new pressing just came out last week I believe, and thats the one that DVDAsian (finally) sent to me.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    The original Korean SE release was only one disc, so I wonder if the movie benefits from having a disc unto itself this time around.

DJ

5. ChrisJefferys

Really? I didn't realize the original release had the film and extras all on one disc. I would assume that using all the disc space for the film itself this time around would have to yield an improvement. Of course, I only have the new one so I can't compare. It looks and sounds really good to my non-expert eyes though.[​IMG]

6. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Chris:
    Yep...I picked up my copy a few months ago. I haven't noticed any hits on the picture, but it doesn't have the DTS 5.1 included on the new version. The DD 5.1 track is loud enough though; we have to turn the sound down, or the subwoofer shakes the stuff on our entertainment center too much [​IMG].
    John.

7. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Chris:

Are you absolutely 100% sure that it is in fact Region All. I know the back of the box says that. I just want to make absolutely sure and hear it from someone who has the new 2-Disc DTS Director's Cut from Korea. (Did it come with the map?)

Thanks!

8. ChrisJefferys

Yes, I'm 100% sure its region all. At first I was sceptical about what the box said, but I tried it in my older player that definately doesn't play anything other than region one, and it played fine. The disc had a little trouble loading but I think that was just the fault of the crappy player. And it does have a fold out map of the island (did the older release have that too?).

And John, it sounds like the new DTS track is as loud as the old DD track was. I had it a little loud at first, because I really liked the music, but the loud gunshots made me turn it down a bit (didn't want to wake the neighbours!).

BTW, this was a blind purchase for me and I have absolutely no regrets. I've been hearing how great this movie is for a while now, and after seeing it, I was not disappointed at all!

9. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Thanks so much Jeff. The ones with the map are only in the limited 3,000 pressings of it.

I am getting a bunch of these now since they are a much better deal than the Tartan 5.1 Theatrical Cut.

Anyone know how the picture compares with the Battle Royale SE Tin (PAL - Director's Cut)?

C

10. ChrisJefferys

11. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

I know the Tartan NTSC 5.1 advertised a "Progressive" transfer; but that soon was debunked by everyone and their mother [​IMG] The picture quality was dead on the Japanese R2 transfer. I am still very happy with it.
    The Tartan SE Tin is a PAL Director's Cut. The subbed 2nd Disc is great, but only worth watching once. The transfer (picture quality) is nothing amazing. Not even close to the NTSC 5.1 version. I sold mine on e-Bay and kept the NTSC 5.1
    I intend on keeping the NTSC 5.1 for the theatrical cut and the Korean one for the Director's cut.
    I used to have the R3 Universe DVD, but it had a bluish tinge to the picture and despite everyone else, the dts track sucked.
    [​IMG]

12. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I think he was referring to the speed problem on the Tartan PAL release. They tried to pitch-correct but ended up slowing the film down too much. Supposedly, the film plays abnormally slow.

Jeff

13. ChrisJefferys

Yep, the speed problem is what I was referring to. I haven't viewed that disc so I don't know how it looks, but at least with the one I've got, PAL does not enter the equation.