Battle Royale/HK DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Leopold, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Hi! This is my first post here. I am very eager to see Battle Royale, but I do not have a region 0 player, and with a new baby arriving in 116 hours, cannot currently afford one. I am thinking of getting an HK DVD of it and wanted to know if anyone could give me some information & reliability of HK DVD's, as well as any opinions of the movie itself. I've also considered getting a few HK Akira Kurosawa movies (Stray Dogs, Throne of Blood), so any info on those would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

2. Jeff Wright

Jeff Wright Auditioning

The HK DVD is a Region 3 disc. There's a VCD which isn't the best quality, but since VCDs aren't region coded, you could watch that.

I liked parts of the film. Not crazy about it as a whole though.

Certainly get some Kurosawa films though. I'd start off with SEVEN SAMURAI, and HIGH AND LOW. Both have been released by Criterion.

Jeff

3. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I've already got Seven Samurai (one of mine & my 10-year-old son's favorites), Hidden Fortress, Sanjuro & Yojimbo. I'm getting High & Low for Christmas, and am looking forward to Criterion's release of Rashomon (saw it on AMC or TCM a while back), and would love to see more of his films. I've not bought Ran yet because of several terribly nasty reviews of the DVD.

I've seen Battle Royale advertised both on websites & in auctions as being on a region 0 DVD (which I'm assuming might actually be a VCD). I'm leaning toward getting it just to see the movie since I don't plan on getting a region-free player any time soon.

4. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

If it's region 0 that probably means a VCD or a bootleg.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, the only legit DVDs of the movie is an R2 Japanese disc (anamorphic widescreen, no subs,DD 5.1, $45) and an R3 HK disc (non-anamorphic widescreen, English subs, DD 5.1,DTS $12). There is an upcoming R2 UK disc, but specs are unknown. You can also get the VCD ($8). Whatever you do, do NOT buy an R0 copy, which is a bootleg probably of terrible quality.
    You'll do just as well with the legal VCD, or if you have a computer DVD-ROM, try region hacking it.
    Try http://www.dddhouse.com for all legal HK discs
    Jeff Kleist

6. DmitriP

DmitriP Extra

You should try http://www.dvdasian.com
    you can get Battle Royale for $15. And yes, it's the legal, region encoded version.
    Get Shaolin Soccer if you haven't yet. [​IMG]

7. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Yesasia.com has Battle Royal R3 for $9.99.

8. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

The HK DVD of BATTLE ROYALE was brought out by Universe, the same company that did the VCD, but the quality of the DVD is a lot better, and despite being non-anamorphic (something which I acknowledge as a potential fault for some, but which in practice makes zero impact on me anyway because of the equipment I use), I recommend the disc.
    www.dddhouse.com gets mentioned a lot when people are referring to the BATTLE ROYALE DVD - they stock the disc quite cheaply and seem to be quick and reliable. In the States, however, you can also get it from http://www.diabolikdvd.com and http://www.lfvw.com for a decent price. Wherever you pick it up, the HK DVD is very cheap, just a dollar or two more than the VCD, and since the disc is of decent quality I think this is probably the best way to watch it at the moment if you can find a way to play it. My first viewing of the film was with the VCD - it'a probably equivalent to a good VHS version of the movie, and www.dddhouse.com has it for around $10 US if you're unable to find a way to spin the DVD. For what it's worth, I think the film itself is very good, too.