Battle Royale at Netflix?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Kalloch, May 2, 2005.

1. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

Under "You Have Recomendations" on my Netflix home page, I was surprised to find "Battle Royale: Special Edition" staring back at me. It is now at the top of my Que, but I have to wonder if this is legit, or for that matter if it will play in my Region 1 player. Up until a year ago, I was checking for this title quite often, with no luck.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?(Sorry, but despite years of computer use, I still can't figure out how to insert images to my threads. You'll have to go to Netflix for the cover art.)

2. Dave Danek

Dave Danek Stunt Coordinator

There is a Region 0 Korean "Starmax" NTSC edition of this film. I think the picture of the Tartan Asia cover is a mistake as that is only PAL (although Tartan did release a R0 NTSC of the theatrical cut a few years back, but a different cover and I believe it is OOP). From the comments re the Korean subs on the bonus disc however, it looks like netflix has the Korean release. You should be good to go. Their subs are a little weak compared to Tartan's, but it is otherwise an excellent presentation of the film.

3. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

What Dave #2 said [​IMG] I own that version, and it looks and sounds fantastic. The subs IMO are only really sketchy during one particular scene at the very end (see www.battleroyalefilm.com for more details) (but not until after you've seen the movie).

4. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

I've heard it's the starmax edition, which you shouldn't be disappointed with. I bought that version quite a while ago and am pretty happy with it. A lot of people were surprised Netflix was carrying it, since they never seemed to carry non-region 1 dvds before. My guess is they were just responding to user demand and realized it may never come out for region 1 so they decided to add one of the region 0 versions to their stock. I commend them for their effort.

5. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, guys, for your input. Been waiting quite some time to see this. Now let's just hope this thread didn't cause a mass influx of Netflix subscribers to beat me to the punch...........

6. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

The Tartan Asia NTSC Edition is back in print-- I grabbed one a month or so ago from HKFlix. [​IMG]

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The Starmax is also the extended edition, right? If so, I had that disc... briefly. I didn't care at all for the additional scenes, and the subs seemed to be ALL BOLD. I'd recommend the Tartan NTSC original cut.

But all that aside... way to go Netflix! I hope this means they'll be bringing in some more R0/NTSC titles. And, though I suspect it would be difficult to implement, an all-region/PAL or NTSC selection (like Nicheflix, for example).

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Netflix has always carried lots of R0 Hong Kong discs of genre films as well as R0 Bollywood stuff.

9. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I'm kind of confused. I just got this from NETFLIX. So which version did I see: the original cut or an extended edition?

EDIT: Never mind, I just visited battleroyalemovie.com and it explained everything.