Battle Royale 2

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ray_Gootz, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz Stunt Coordinator

Is out in some places in NYC. I know we're not suppsed to talk about anything but the real dvd but has anyone seen this? Is it worth the buy? Ain't it cool had disturblingly negative reviews of this one.

2. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

I haven't seen this but I've heard from a friend that it has a huge anti-American sentiment throughout the movie.

3. Matthew_Brown

Matthew_Brown Stunt Coordinator

I quite enjoyed it for what it's worth. The film is simply not as good as the first and suffers (from some peoples points of view) partly because it's more unaccesible to non Japanese types and also partly because of the highly critical of the US subtext, which I guess might offend some people living on that side of the atlantic.

The R3 korean release I believe is legit and has subs.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The DVD is great (I am talking about the HK Universe 2-disc). The movie and all extras are subbed in english, the film is anamorphic and features DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks. Unfortunately, the disc itself, while NTSC, is region-coded... so you will need a region-free player in order to watch it. Still a great deal for the $12.49 I paid for it! [​IMG]

As for the actual movie... meh, it pales in comparison to the original, but it's still worth seeing. I am of the mind that it's a great 90 minute film made into a mediocre 130 minute film... and yes, there is lots of unexplained anti-US talk (most of it only refers to the US as "that country") if that sort of thing bothers ya.

6. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

A certain mini-chain in NYC which will remain nameless is selling bootlegs of this that are region free. So far, the only legit versions of part 2 are the HK and Korean....both of which are coded Region 3. Any other version at this point is a bootleg. There are some legit versions of the original that are region 0 however.

Jeff

7. Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a bomb but I bought it anyway. I won't even mention the Amos and Andy Dvd's I was about to buy.

8. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I have the Universe disk and quite enjoyed it. Nowhere near the level of the first but entertaining nonetheless.

9. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

There were no positive reviews of the movie until the HK DVD came out. Search everywhere and people were putting it down or using the first movie as a big yard stick.

Forget that Kinji had a few percent involvement in the actual direction of the movie.

Forget this anti-american sentiment so eloquently highlighted by Riki on the chalkboard.

It was a decent movie. I enjoyed it. [​IMG]

And it was $12 at YesAsia.... for the double disc!

10. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

There is no Korean DVD of Battle Royale II at the moment.

The only DVD editions of Battle Royale II are:
    - Japanese Toei single-disc edition (R2)
    - Japanese Toei two-disc tin edition (R2)
    - Hong Kong Universe two-disc set (R3)

11. William Chang

12. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

Yeah, any region-free copies you find are bootlegs. I'm probably going to wait for a legit region 0 version.

I have the Korean Special version of the original which I'm pretty happy with, though if it were released in Region 1 with better subtitles, I'd probably buy again.

The reviews seem pretty mixed. When I do get around to seeing this, I'm going to try and go in without too many expectations.

13. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

If you have access to getting into Chinatown, you'll have no problem finding a legit copy of this dvd.

Dugger

14. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

This is a question regarding the first movie. Which version is the best to get? The Tartan UK 2-Disc Directors Cut?

15. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I prefer the Tartan NTSC release of the Theatrical Cut which is now out of print. Some copies can still be had if you know where to look.

The Tartan UK 2-Disc Special Edition Cut (the current one) suffers from heavy compression (the entire two hour film fits on a 3.8GB DVD and all the extras fit on another 3.8GB DVD) and a bad ghosting problem which occurs during the entire film due to the conversion being done wrong (the film should run 117 minutes in PAL, not 122 minutes).

Supposedly, Tartan is fixing their mistakes and is releasing a new edition of the two-disc set at the end of the month which also includes DTS.

The Special Edition (it's not a Director's Cut, more of a cut made specifically for the fans of the film) runs an additional ten minutes longer the film adding in more CGI gore (good), fixing a few of the visual mistakes (good), and adds in more backstory to a few of the characters. The backstory is not really needed, but it is nice to watch at least once. The Theatrical Cut runs at a much tighter and faster pace, but misses out on the additional CGI gore and the visual mistakes are still in place (a la the first student death).

16. Chris Stainton

Thanks Matthew.

My only exposure to Battle Royale so far has been the Manga. I just finished book 5. The movie trailer where Kitano

I live in the SF Bay Area and so hopefully I will be able to find this in Japantown. Any idea where online to buy it? eBay seems to be mostly bootlegs.

17. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

18. Chris Stainton

Has anyone purchased this new one yet to see if this version was in fact corrected?