Battle of the Slightly Above/Below Average Action Games

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesH, Feb 3, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Assuming you could buy about 2-3 of the following games, which ones would you get?

Buffy(Xbox)
    Crimson Sea
    LOTR: Two Towers
    Star Fox Adventures
    Devil May Cry 2
    Rygar PS2
    Dead to Rights
    Gungrave

Price is a minor factor since I just happen to have a bit of extra cash due to a couple of games I wanted being delayed. High difficulty is not a negative, in fact, I want challenging games. I've already played through Crimson Sea on a rental but I liked it, so if anyone knows what is in the EX mode, please inform. Right now I'm leaning towards Dead to Rights.

2. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

Rygar is fantastic...all three hours of it, so that goes on the list.

Star Fox Adventures is beautiful, if ultimately boring, so that would go on the list too.

Buffy would be decent, too. Nice fighting engine even if I can't tolerate the show.

The rest can be used for skeet practice (yes, I have them all).

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

Buffy is an amazing game. It's even better if you like the show. It's just like watching one big episode, even if it is a bit outdated.

That's the only game I could reccomend. I haven't played the others except for Dead to Rights. I didn't like it that much. The best way to describe it is Max Payne Lite. The story is about a cop looking for revenge. The bullet time helps a bit, but I like how it was done in Max Payne better. The feature I did like was that you could take people and use them as human shields. Kinda a cheap way to get by the stage, but it works.

4. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Buffy is a great game. My friend bought it, and never played it. he lent it to me, now I'm going to buy it with my first paycheck I think. [​IMG]

I also enjoyed The Two Towers. It's not the greatest game, but it was a lot of fun. And since I'm a fan of the movies, that made it all the more better.

Starfox Adventures I also enjoyed. It's a tad linear, but the graphics are amazing, and I thought the story was decent as well.

5. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

Buffy
    LOTR: Two Towers
    Rygar

Fourth choice would be Devil May Cry 2.

6. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Thanks for the recommendations so far. A few other things:
    Violence = good
    Constant flow of enemies = good
    Puzzles = bad
    Collecting items = bad
    Game Length = not a big factor

I just ended up playing through Max Payne(great game) in its entirety again last night. I've been playing Shinobi and Enclave(underrated), but I'm stuck in both of them and ready to take a break for a week or two.

I've been debating Star Fox for a while because I'm a big fan of dinos and pretty graphics, but I'm worried about the gameplay. Just how tedious is the collecting?

Right now, I'm leaning towards Rygar, Buffy, and Dead to Rights.

Eric- what's wrong with Gungrave that would relegate it to target practice fodder(other than length) ? Every review I read says it's too short without bothering to mention if it's FUN or not.

7. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

The only one on the list I would actually buy is Buffy. Notable are Rygar, Devil May Cry 2, and The Two Towers- however they are too easy and too short to warrant actually buying them. Also, you can pick up Buffy used for under $20.00. (I think EB had copies for $10.00 if I'm not mistaken). Don't spend money simply becuase you have it- think about putting it away and spending it when more and better games come out.

8. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

10. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

I'll add to what Romier stated by saying that, since it's so indescribably easy, there really isn't a game to speak of anywhere in Gun Grave. Just hold down the triggers and run to and fro with virtually no concern for death or dismemberment.

It's the video games equivalent of celery: sure you won't gain any weight from eating truckloads of it, but it tastes pretty bland and leaves you hollow and looking for something else mere minutes later.

11. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I just got Dead to Rights, and I'll probably be picking up LOTR at SAMS for $24.99(maybe Starfox too). I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure, as I find DTR to be absolutely amazing.

JamesT, how far did you get in it? I thought it was a bit on the weak side up until I got to the 4th chapter, but from then on out, the hardcore firefights start and the game really picks up. It has probably the best gunplay I've ever seen in a game, Max Payne included. The controls are a bit unorthodox compared to some of the other games out there, but they're perfect once everything "clicks" and you realize how the game is supposed to be played. It definately has its flaws, but I'd put it alongside the elites when judging it as a pure action game.

12. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Buffy: TVS (provided I had an Xbox)
    StarFox Adventures (I really enjoyed the game right up until the final boss battle)
    LOTR: The Two Towers (A great game... very faithful to the movies, plus the special extras are really interesting)

13. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Two Towers and Buffy without question

capt

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I've heard that the PS2 version of Dead To Rights is far superior to the XBox version--perhaps that explains the wide disparity in opinions?

15. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

For the PS2 and Cube versions they made the game easier and tweaked some of the minigames which made the game much less frustrating. I played through the Cube version and I'd say it's worth picking up for under 30 bucks if you can find it for that price. Not bad at all but not fantastic either.

16. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

That's why I got the Xbox version.[​IMG]

I read reviews and found out that they killed the difficulty in the other two, and I'll be having none of that. I'm a bit over halfway through and I can't really say the complaints about the Xbox version are merited. It's challenging, but nothing worth crying about. I think gamers these days are just getting too soft.

17. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I dunno I couldn't get through the cube version on Normal so by the 3rd or 4th level I had to drop it down to Easy. I guess in the XBox version there is no selectable difficulty but the PS2 and Cube versions have Easy Normal and Supercop. Apparently they have more particle effects too but they lack some other graphical feature that the XBox version does have(can't remember off the top of my head). Fun game but the minigames(the bomb defusals had my ready to make a controller shaped hole in my wall) and hand to hand fighting got redundant. the fight against the big fat guy SUCKS hard as does the fight against the last guy
    I think had they have stuck with a strict run and gun formula it would've been a great game. As it stands it's just a good game. Definitely worth a rental at least or a purchase if you can find it cheap.