Battle of the Klipsch bookshelves

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Duke, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

Ok I went down to Tweeter. Listened to the RB3 and the RF3II and came away quite impressed with the bookshelf model. Now I also understand the RB5 has an 8" woofer compared to the RB3 which has a 6.5" woofer.

Has anyone auditioned these two bookshelves, and what were your impressions? Unfortunately, Tweeter only has the RB5 as a special order item, and I could not find another to listen to.

Also, I plan to pair these new fronts with the RC3II center channel and a Denon 3803.

2. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

Hello

I listened to both of those speakers at my local store here in Toledo, Ohio. I prefered the sound of the RB5. Of course, it was also running on McIntosh seperates.

3. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I tried both as well & ended up buying the RB5IIs.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

RB5ii's.

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

The RB-5II is better than the RB-3II. It uses the same 8" woofer as the RF-3II as well as the same horn so you get a better comparison of what it sounds like by listening to the RF-3II instead of the RB-3II.

Is there any reason you have to stick with a bookshelf? The RB-5II is around the same price as the RF-3II everywhere I've seen. I've even seen one online seller that has the RB-5II more expensive than the RF-3II. The RF-3II's have much better bass response than the similar RB-5II because it adds another 8" woofer and a larger enclosure.

Frank

6. Jeff Ery

Jeff Ery Stunt Coordinator

I own a pair of RB5'S AND AM VERY PLEASED ,I liked the mahogany finish...sadly I might have to sell them to pick up a pair of Vienna acoustic Bachs for my wife....

7. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

The reason for wanting to use the bookshelves is twofold. One, the space concerns, as I don't yet own a home and apartments are temporary at best. Secondly, I thought the sound of the RB3 sounded excellent. While it did not have as full of a range as the towers, the sound was more than what I expected. Plus I fully intend on using these speakers with a subwoofer (for HT and 2ch. stereo).

Unfortunately I listened to the bookshelves off the 3803 and the RF3II off the 3802, so that may have affected what I heard. Nevertheless, I thought the highs were much more crisp on the RB3 than the RF3II, which seems to contradict what "should be" the truth.

Oh yeah, and my girlfriend thought the bookshelves were "cuter." Her words, not mine.

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Actually, I've listened to all three and prefer the RB-5. While the bass extention is better on the RF-3, I felt the bass on the RB-5 was more defined and that the upper ranges were smoother. Maybe it was just my ears, but it could also do with the compactness of the speaker itself allowing it to be more rigid. I've also heard that it might use a different crossover. In any regard, I preferred it. And never ignore the WAF. My wife hates black speakers and loved the looks of the maple veneered RB-5ii's. This isn't to say the RF-3 isn't a great speaker, but my personal taste preferred the RB-5's. If I were you, I'd look for someplace where I could listen to the 3's and 5's and see which one you liked best. Or, perhaps give a further listen to the RF-3's.