Battle of the Franchises

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TerryRL, Jul 29, 2002.

1. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Well folks, the battle of film franchises is in full swing. Disney, DreamWorks, Fox, MGM, Miramax, New Line, Paramount, Sony, Universal, and WB all have big-money franchises competing for the crown of top dog.

As things stand now, nothing tops George Lucas' "Star Wars" series. Currently, the franchise has earned a total of $3.3 billion worldwide from just five films. 2005's 'Episode III' will likely put the series over the $4 billion mark.

MGM's James Bond franchise is a close second with $3.2 billion yielded from the 19 films in the series. Bond 20, "Die Another Day", will add yet another blockbuster to the longest running franchise in the movies.

Other than SW and Bond, only three other franchises have been able to crack the $1 billion mark. Those are "Jurassic Park" ($1.5 billion from 3 films), "Batman" ($1.2 billion from 4 films), and "Indiana Jones" ($1.2 billion from 3 films).

By the end of the year, three more franchises will be added to the Billion Dollar Club. Those being WB's "Harry Potter" ($966.7 million from only film #1), New Line's "The Lord of the Rings" ($860 million from film #1), and Paramount's "Star Trek" ($994.4 million from nine films).

Since there will be a total of seven films in the "Harry Potter" series, it could end up passing "Star Wars" as the most lucrative film franchise in history.

LOTR will yield a total of 4 films for New Line, the three LOTR titles as well as the prequel "The Hobbit" (which will probably hit screens between a few years after "The Return of the King).

Sony's "Spider-Man" will have no problem passing "Batman" in becoming the biggest comic book/superhero franchise, but "Batman" will still be making some noise after Darren Aronofsky's 'Year One' debuts in a couple of years. WB also has high hopes from McG's new "Superman" franchise.

WB also has "Terminator 3" on their slate (with an option for T4), plus "Catwoman" and "Wonder Woman". WB owned New Line has "Austin Powers" looking like a billion dollar series, along with LOTR, and "Blade".

Who do you think will win this ongoing battle of the franchises? Honestly, Fox and WB have really strong rosters with Sony and New Line coming in a close second. In the next few years we're going to see a flood of franchise-ready movies hitting multiplexes. Let's hope most of them are good.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, nobody will "win" because the contest will never end. [​IMG]

3. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

True, but I think Hollywood may be in danger of filling their rosters with nothing but franchises. Personally, it would be kind of lame if one summer all we had to look forward to was sequels. I think one of the main reasons that "Spider-Man" did so well was becuase it was original and didn't have a roman numeral attached to it's title.

Don't get me wrong, there are sequels I really dig, but some of the upcoming sequels are pretty pointless. I mean do we really need another "Independence Day" movie?

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Interesting topic. You're probably right about the Harry Potter franchise eventually passing Star Wars...It has a wide appeal that includes nearly everyone.

I'm biased of course and want Star Wars to rule the galaxy but realize this won't last forever.

5. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

$3.3 billion from only 5 movies is amazing. SW could end up being a $4 billion franchise from only 6 flicks. That's about an average of $660 million worldwide for each movie.

The SW movies are also the only franchise where each film released earned over $250 million. HP's biggest strength is it's popularity overseas. 'Chamber of Secrets' could end up earning "only" about $200 million, but it'll probably bring in an additional $400 million overseas.

As much as I love the SW movies, I think that HP has an excellent shot at dethroning it as the biggest of the big-money franchises.

6. David Dennison

David Dennison Second Unit

Harry Potter could struggle to take the record only because we are still 6 films (well, 5 really) and 3 books away from being able to hit 7. I hope it happens (7 books at least), but it could be a while.

SW will probably hang on to the record, but the James Bond franchise could be the surprise. SW only has one film left. Bond is already essentially tied, and it could go on for a long time.

7. DavidAC

DavidAC Stunt Coordinator

8. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

I wouldn't hold my breath for The Hobbit any time soon. Word is that Peter Jackson's first project after The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King will be the return of another king...King Kong!

9. Terrell

Terrell Producer

10. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Out of the 19 existing Bond films, only three have been able to pass the $100 million mark. Ironically, all three have been the ones that starred Pierce Brosnan. After "Die Another Day" Brosnan will do one more Bond flick and then turn the franchise over to a new (and younger) 007. Rumors suggest that Christian Bale is the top contender for the part. My main gripe with the Bond series is that all they essentially do is make the same movie over and over again.

The Bond movies will go on and on, and the franchise will take the crown of top grossing series, but in terms of per-film average it doesn't even come close to SW or even the "Jurassic Park" series.

I think Potter could challenge the per-film box office average of the SW flicks.

As for "The Hobbit", Peter Jackson will do at least one movie before he tackles the LOTR prequel. As Dan already pointed out, that movie will probably be an updated version of "King Kong". Jackson will do "The Hobbit", it's just a matter of when.

11. Terrell

Terrell Producer

12. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

I was never a big fan of the "slasher" flicks of the '80s and '90s. I wasn't even a big fan of the "Scream" franchise. I just didn't like how all the movies were just the same. In the defense of "Scream", Wes Craven and company did try to add a little flavor to the genre, but in the end they made three movies that are pretty identical to one another, much like most every other film series in this genre.

13. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I love Halloween, and liked Halloween 2 a quite a bit. II even liked Halloween 4. But the rest are terrible, and the franchise is done. Never liked any of the Friday the 13th movies. Again, done. I loved the original Nightmare, hated the rest. Once again, the franchise is done.

I didn't mean to imply those franchises were even close to the ones you mentioned. Just that they were a couple of other franchises whose time has passed.

14. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

I agree, the first "Halloween" movie was awesome, as was the first "Nightmare on Elm Street" movie. I don't consider them "slasher" flicks, I consider these great horror movies whose sequels deteriorated into mindless slasher fare.

What I liked about "The Fog" was that they didn't destroy the original with a bunch of lame knockoff sequels.

I don't mind sequels as long as they try to add something new to the overall story instead of being nothing but a retread of the original film. This is what I admire most of the SW flicks. Love 'em or hate 'em, you can't deny that Lord Lucas attempts to make each one different from the previous one.

15. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

16. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I too think that Ep. III should be it. No secret that I am a serious fan-nut with everything that is Star Wars. It will be sad when it's over but all great things must end.

17. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Yeah Peter, but with every new film, the franchise will get cheapened. Some who don't like the prequels already think they've cheapened Star Wars. I don't think that. True, TPM was a hiccup along the way, but I thought AOTC was great. I just don't want to see the franchise slowly die, making less and less money, possibly getting more redundant and stale. It's okay to go out on top every once in a while.
    I'd go see a new trilogy, but I'm happy with the story ending as it is.

I mean, how would you do Episodes 7-9. Ford is way too old, Hamill still looks young, but is old. Carrie fisher has had drug problems and looks terrible now. Doing it with all new actors playing the characters those guys made famous would be terrible in my opinion. So I think 6 is enough.

18. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    a bit difficult comparing SW against HP. inflation is the problem, SW:ANH's official number at the North American box office is about US$460 million, but that includes the SE release in 1997, which took in about $115m I think. in 2001 dollars, the original run must have made something like $400-500mil in current dollars.

plus, worldwide figures in 1977 were probably less reliable, so SW:ANH doesn't have a fair comparison to HP's 966mil worldwide.

same really applies to comparing any of the older franchises. the three 100mil Bond movies are all Brosnan movies, since they're the most recent. but in it's day Goldfinger was a box-office champ (not sure if it was number one in absolute terms, but it certainly did very well).

having said all that, I agree that there must be a limit. but as long as the Bonds make a decent return on the investment put in -- so far they do and there's no evidence yet that they'll falter -- they'll continue to make them, until one falls flat. for a 40-year old franchise, it's doing pretty well, wouldn't you say?

similarly with Star Trek, though Trek has the additional problem of ageing actors who can't be simply replaced (a la Bond). but as long as Paramount sees a nice return, they'll keep going.

19. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

But the fans don't care. I'm a HUGE Friday the 13th fan, and a pretty big Nightmare fan as well (I don't care at all for Halloween [​IMG] ). As far as I'm concerned they could make 10 more of each and I'd be in line opening night for each one, and a street date purchaser of the DVDs. After seeing Jason X 3 times in theaters (twice opening weekend) and proud owner of the Nightmare Platinum DVD set, I don't think I could ever get enough. More of the same? I say bring it on!

20. Stephen Fagan

Stephen Fagan Stunt Coordinator

From what I've read of the Bond series, Thunderball is the one that sold the most tickets.