Battle of the Equipment....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blake Bowden, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Extra

May 4, 1999
    Nearing the completion of my HT, I have broken down a list of different hardware that I'am looking to purchase...I just need your inputs on which would be better:
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-49TX Elite
    Receiver: Kenwood VR-5900 Receiver
    Receiver: Denon AVR-5800
    I need a receiver with component in and outs as I'am hooking a progressive DVD player to the receiver and out to the projector. The Denon is the most expensive, most power, and 7 channels. Any inputs? Is the price worth it?
    DVD: Panasonic RP56
    DVD: Pioneer Elite DV-37
    The Pioneer is almost 2X as much as the Panasonic, any experience with either one of these units? Any shortcomings?
    Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
    Paradigm CC-370 Center
    Paradigm ADP-370 Surrounds
    Anyone have any experience with these speakers? Any other suggestions for around the same price that you feel would be better? I'am not too excited about the ADP-370's for surrounds. They would probably be alright in rears, but I'am looking for more "flat" speakers for the sides if I go the 7 channel route.
    VCR: JVC HR-S9800
    Amazingly I do still have video tapes [​IMG] I wanted a full featured, but reasonably priced SVHS. How's this model? Any other recommendations for better units for around the same price?
    Thanks again for your extremely valuable help guys!
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    Blake: contact each receiver manufacture and find out if the component switching is HD compatible. Just because it can switch component signals does not mean it has the bandwidth for the Progressive/HD signals.
    Several months ago a newsletter called "HDTV Insider" noticed that only a few receivers could correctly pass HD signals. These tended to be the flagship receivers in each line. I dont have an old copy so I cannot check if any of your choices is on the list.
    SVHS VCR: One of the JVC units is about $600. It has image-stabilization and time-base correction. It also has a lot of computer-control circuits so it can be plugged into a video-editing system. If you buy this unit, you are paying for a lot of features you may never use.
    There is a 4900 or 4800 unit which is about $300 that gives you the video and time-base correction with about half the memory. Look into this one to give you the same features for playback.
    Note: I hardly ever use my VCR or TV guide since I got a Dish network PVR-501. This thing records bit-for-bit every show you watch off of the Sat so every playback is perfect. And they are practically giving them away to new subscribers. It also features SVideo output for video, and Optical/digital output for sound.