What's new

Battle Of The Bulge Ultra Panavision on HDnet (1 Viewer)

Pete SE

Agent
I'm cross posting this here for those interested. It has been reported that Battle Of The Bulge is now in the HDNet rotation in what looks to be its UP70 OAR.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
This post doesn't belong here. Probably should be in Movies section.

In any case, I'd love a SE DVD of this film. :)

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
The picture quality is absolutely astounding for a movie of that (or any) age. It actually looks like it was filmed with high def cameras.

Using tht as a master, they should be able to make a gorgous DVD transfer.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Well, that's because it WAS filmed with "high def cameras" (70 mm Ultra Panavision to be exact), and they were capable of MUCH higher resolution than the "high def" that 1920x1080 video is capable of (the claims of a certain director who's abandoned film notwithstanding).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it amazing how distorted the tech companies have been able to make the public understanding of digital technologies.

Same with CD of course. Consistant reproduction is one thing, but this whole idea that NOW we have high rez video and audio....sheesh.

Not knocking Lawrence, his reaction is actually quite typical. Few people I know realize that even moving film 35mm has better resolution than digital cameras resolve, let alone 70mm film cameras and their larger "capture" area.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Pardon me is this the Robert Shaw/Henry Fonda "Battle of the Bulge"? I have "Battle of the Bulge" on tape with a intermission in the middle, If it is wow they first start out with a real wide 2.35:1 during the opening credits! My tape was made with Dolby Surround even though the pic was made in 1965!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I caught part of this and noticed how wide it was. What is the OAR anyway?

And is the film any good?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

According to the IMDB, It's about as wide as Ben-Hur (2.76:1), based on the combination of being 70 mm AND anamorphic.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
BATTLE OF THE BULGE was originally released in "Super Cinerama" which was the new 70mm single projector used for Cinerama. I remember it was a special reserved seat attraction at the Center Cinerama theater in San Diego. I still have the program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks