What's new

Battery Powered Grass Timmers (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
I was wondering if anyone owns or has had any experience with any model that uses a re-chargable battery opposed to an electric or gas model. Electric model would be apin for me since my driveway is too long and the noise and smell of gas trimmers (although more powerful)is not too appealing to me. So that leaves the re-chargable versions- but I was wondering how dependable they are, I know they are less powerful but are they really that bad? any info appreciated
Tim

John Watson

Screenwriter
This is the second summer I've used one. I quickly walk 20 or so minutes to the edges I do, and get quite a lot cut, tho its starting to run down by then. (Sometimes I am too, its not as light as I assumed)

Its not very quiet, tho I've never used a gas powered version.

The drawback so far, is that it takes a good 6+ hours to recharge.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I used a rechargable Craftsman trimmer for the past 5 years and it worked great although it's a bit underpowered for the really thick weeds. I had to switch to a loud, obnoxious gas trimmer this year as the new yard is much bigger and the battery didn't last long enough to get the job done.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
This year I got sick of running out of cord, and getting the 100' of cord out and around, so I went with the Toro rechargeable trimmer. It cost 59.00 at Home Depot, and I consider it money well spent.

I am freed from the cord, and as long as it's charged, it works great. I'm actually surprised at how long it runs on a charge. I have about 80x120 property size, and have not run out of steam once. Yes, it takes some time to charge, but I really only use it once a week. As stated, it is heavier than my old electric B&D, but it is also nicely balanced.

I say give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised...

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for using these. The gas powered ones are so noisy and filthy its not funny. When my neighbour uses his, I have to close our windows or vomit. I close the windows.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've been using a 6V Toro rechargeable since 1994. It has always been OK, but a bit underpowered. I'm willing to trade off that for the lack of having to deal with a nasty 2-stroke. I'll be replacing it soon, as the motor is about to give out (bearings), and I've been playing with the new 12v models. I checked out a Ryobi 12V model, and it seems more than adequate for any modest sized yard (1/4 acre) or less.

My circa '94 el-cheapo gas mower is giving up the ghost, too (1-2x/week cuttings for 9-10 months here in FL), and I'll likely replace it with a cordless mower, too. I'm tired of the smell standing behind a gas engine.

So, I can say that they seem to do well over the long term.

Todd

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
On my parental units property, I use a reel mower. The non-powered push mowers with the round cutting blade reel. Sometimes I have to pass over the same area an extra one or two times, but its so much more fun. It cuts really well and no gas to buy, and no exhaust to smell. I'm not sure of the size of our property, but if you've a larger area to cut, then by all means, go cordless. Also consider planting a garden with native wildflowers, and adding more native trees and shrubs. Who needs all this grass anyways? :)

Tim L

Second Unit
Thanks for the replys- I may go with the cordless- only because some of the newer models now have 24v batterys-although my driveway is around 400ft. and my yard is prety good size I guess I could do one part a week- I really can't see myself hooking up over 400ft of extension cords and then wrapping them back up! any more info appreciated
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks