Battery Backups as Voltage Regulators

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin. W, May 28, 2003.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Down the road I may add a Monster Power Center to my setup but its the cost that keeping us apart. WHile in a Local Best Buy I came across Battery Backup units that contain AVR(Automatic Voltage Regulators). Would this work along the same line as the Monster? Here is a link to one of the units.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/1250avr.htm

Kevin

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Most UPS units do not condition the power, and even actually degrade/deform the pass-through AC power. They assume you have digital devices attached so messing with the smooth AC waveform does not affect the computers.

Your HT gear has a very power-dependent analog piece.

Keep in mind that a $10 power strip with "surge-protection" could also be described as having a "Automatic Voltage Regulator". It's a $0.95 device that connects between the two AC wires and clamps/shorts any voltage that goes over about 120 volts.

If you do buy a power conditioner, get one from a local store with a good return policy. Then test the unit in your home at the time you would normally use your system.

Hope this helps.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Most surge supressors actually don't act on the signal until more like 170V, so not a good voltage regulator. Meant more for lightening strike type spikes.

I read/heard a long time ago, that most battery backups don't supply the AC in a true sinusoidal form like we get out of the wall. Most of the (cheap ones, anyway) do square waves. Not what your equipment is designed for, although I don't know what the effects would be. Plus, you'd have to make sure that the battery backup can handle your system: at least 15A, 1800W capable. (Has to be able to handle transients too.)

Something like the Monster 2500/5000 (2600/5100), or Adcom 615 is a nice compromise solution IMO.