Battery Backup or Other Power Protection for RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vern.S, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Vern.S

Vern.S Extra

I was considering a "Computer Style" APC battery backup for my upcoming RPTV. I have been told that this may not be a good idea due to these units not generating a perfect sine wave.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

What is recommended to protect from surges, spikes and brownouts?

Vern

2. Ming Wang

Ming Wang Agent

I use an APC UPS for my RPTV. but I don't know what's a perfect sine wave and what different it can make. I can't tell any difference on image quality with the UPS connected or not.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It can be a concern (the UPS not outputting a true sine wave), but I did get to see my UPS in action the other night when there was a momentary outage in electricity, and neither my RPTV, nor my ReplayTV units skipped a beat.

Without the UPS, my RPTV would have shut down, and my ReplayTVs would have rebooted.

But I haven't found out what would happen if I had the RPTV run on UPS battery power only for a prolonged period of time (in terms of minutes, not seconds) and whether my UPS's lack of true sine wave output would affect my RPTV.

4. Vern.S

Vern.S Extra

Ming, Patrick and others,

What model UPSs are you using?

I'm thinking about a Tripp Lite Internet Office 500 UPS Backup. The Pioneer 533 that I'm shopping for uses 230 W, 430 VA (CSA).

I'm not looking to watch TV during a major blackout, just protection from the local flicker and flash power provider.

Vern