What's new

Batman: Year One (and casting ideas) (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Here is some more info:
From BATMAN ON FILM
http://www.Batman-On-Film.com)
Ashton Kutcher- definite interest, but those pushing for him quickly lost ground. Nolan has a vision & tone for the film. Not so much "Dark," as the character is obviously that, but SERIOUS; Nolan wants to do a comic adventure w/ real world feel. Kutcher won't get past Nolan, & WB won't mess up their relationship w/ Nolan. Read: KUTCHER'S OUT.
Costume-Look for the new bat-rig to be more faithful to the comics, as in not all black. Also, look for the sculpted "rubber" look to go away, a la Spiderman.
Batmobile- smaller, sleeker; think dodge viper crossed with a small dragster.
Villain-Scarecrow is the front-runner; he may not be the one, or the only one. There is talk of introducing a NEW villain via the movie!
Casting-Open field, but Nolan DOES have prospects in mind. It won't be hard to cast this film. There was discussion about Christian Bale, unofficially, because Matthew McCoughnahey is a name being pushed for Superman. Both were teamed in Reign Of Fire. WB wants to coordinate the casting of their premiere properties, as they want to re-launch both for a trilogy-plus run, with an eventual cross-over/team-up. Bale would be a solid Bruce Wayne, having the look, build, & height, as well as the talent for the role.
Whoever gets the nod for both roles is hoped for a 3 picture deal. This will mean a 25-30 something star for each film. THIS ALSO means younger versions of Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, & Harvey Dent, than in the previous films. Alfred will be in his fifties; Commissioner Gordon will be in his forties, & more along the lines of Miller's "YEAR ONE" Gordon. A teen-age Barbara Gordon, Gordon's niece, may make a non-Batgirl cameo. (not Alicia Silverstone's Barbara PENNYWORTH from Batman & Robin).
Logic would dictate that the same treatment would be given to the Flying Grayson's Although all involved say Robin WILL NOT be part of the plot. Harvey Dent WILL NOT be Two-face, solidifying the thought that this is a restart to the franchise. This is significant, as this opens the door for an appearance by The Joker, either in this or future films. Dent will be a contemporary of Wayne's; look for him to be in his mid thirties. Names for the part include Noah Wiley from ER, David Duchovney, & Dougray Scott (also mentioned for Bruce Wayne)! Gordon has no names attached, but agents for Dennis Quaid, Sam Neil, Patrick Swayze (?!) & Dylan McDermott(?!) have all been contacted. WB/Nolan want Gordon to be a significant role in the upcoming franchise. Look for him to be a grizzled, hard as nails cop that begrudgingly befriends Batman.
This is all I can tell you at this point. Any more will endanger our bid. I'm sure none of this is NEWS to you, but now you can see the framework of the ideas forming at Bat-camp.
I'm sorry that I can't tell you my name or our ######### name; we are in the crucial phase of negotiations for this contract.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
IMHO the best scene in any Batman movie was in Batman Beyond:ROTJ (Uncut version)in Arkham when Batman & Batgirl confront Joker and Harley.Just fantastic.

I just dont understand why they dont get Paul Dini to write a draft for the next Batman film.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Here's your Bruce Wayne/Batman right here...
brood.jpg

That's right...Vince Vaughn!

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
This just in from BBC rgarding Batman...

"....Actors expected to screen test for the blockbuster include Donnie Darko actor Jake Gyllenhaal, American Psycho's Christian Bale, Dawson Creek's Joshua Jackson and Cillian Murphy, the star of British horror film 28 Days Later...."

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
Not really keeping up with this topic, but just as a note, i don't know if this would effect casting at all, but Christian Bale currently weighs about 100 pounds and looks about as feeble as a newborn kitten. I think the role he's currently playing is someone with a serious health problem. I would imagine it would take him quite a while to get back into the kind of condition required to play batman.

This info may not be completely accurate, i only know because my girlfriend is a huge Christian Bale fan and was extremely upset at how awful he looks right now, so she showed me the pics and he basically looks like someone you see in concentration camp pics.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Well, if the current rumors and supposed spy reports are true...this new Batman movie could kick everythings ass! On www.aicn.com they talk of certain sets being built, and it is looking like they are referring to Ra's being the villian. If that is true, then this movie would be like a dream come true. Just imagine...a Batman film with a villian who is both a physical but intellectual equal to batman. Just bad ass news if it is true.
THe other news on www.darkhorizons.com says that supposedly Russell Crowe is up for a villan in a Chirs Nolan movie. If this is true, and the above is, we could have some serious badassness on our hands here, as long as Batman is cast correctly. While Russell is cool, I dont see him as Ra's. I still think that David Warner back in his prime would be perfect. He voices the character ont he cartoon and is PERFECT. But he is getting up there in years now...so I dont know. I still like IGNs idea of Jason Isaacs as Ra's, which would be cool...just those evil steel blue eyes behind the immortal evil of Ra's
I am now excited just thinking about this movie. The first time in a while for a DC movie.
Hopefully in the next few days we will get some official confirmation to all these rumors.

James T

Screenwriter
How about Rachel Weisz as Talia? She's familiar with the Egypt scene.

I always like Al Pacino as Ra's, but that pic above is pretty convincing.

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm reading this thread and finding it so odd to see people who didn't like the first Batman movie (1989). I was like 12 when that movie came out and I can personaly remember several people of all ages loving the movie, I know alot of people of all ages going to see that movie several times. I can understand the whole Michael Keaton being small thing. As a major comic fan I felt that way also until I saw the movie. Lets be real here 6ft+ or not a large bat looking thing jumps out of the shadows at you in the midle of the night your scared, the last thing going through your mind is "well that would be more imposing if it was taller. Hell most of us are bothered if they find a spider in the bathroom at night. To go a little further, while we talk about the year one thing Bruce Wayne was big before he put on the bat costume, but it wasn't intimidating enough (remember knife fight with pimp, Hookers jump in?0 Its the costume that makes him intimidating.

On to the subject at hand... I'm really looking forward to seeing another Batman movie. I think Ashton could be the right person but ny immediate prejudices say he would be a discredit to the whole thing. I think its the whole MTV punked thing.

Someone said Brad Pitt doesn't have the physique for the role...did you watch fight club? The guy can bulk up when he neads to. (not my vote though but I wouldn't be dissapointed)

I can see alot of the naems being thrown around pulling it off. I wouldn't mind Vince Vaugn but I've seen Swingers and Made waaay to many times to ever think of him as dark and brooding.

Ahh well whatever happens I'll be there, even if it is just morbid curiosity.

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks