Batman: Year One (and casting ideas)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TerryRL, Nov 28, 2001.

1. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

According to Dark Horizons, WB has accepted the latest script from Darren Aronofsky and Frank Miller. WB hopes to begin filming sometime next year. The film is slated for a 2003 release.

Do any of you have any opinions as to who WB will cast in the roles of the younger Batman/Bruce Wayne, Catwoman, and the Joker?

By the way, I had heard that the movie will be a cross between "The Killing Joke" and the 'Year One' comics. If that is indeed the case, than 'Year One' could turn out to be a truly special movie.

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I'm looking forward to this flick. I hope BATMAN is finally done right on the big screen. Burton's two films have a lot going for them but the stories were weak. I read somewhere(perhaps on the ever reliable AICN[​IMG])that Wolfgang Peterson was going to film a SUPERMAN/BATMAN teamup flick. Is there any truth to this rumor I wonder, and if so, which film will come first?

3. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Apparently, Petersen is tentatively attached to doing the Batman/Superman (World's Finest) movie. The movie was put into development largely due to WB shelving the "Batman Beyond" movie, as well as WB's continuing struggles to get "Superman Lives" off the ground. That also looks like it's going to be permanently shelved.

'Year One' would be the first one to hit theaters, followed by "World's Finest" a year later. If "World's Finest" is a big hit, that would jumpstart a Superman franchise. From what I've heard, WB wants to have a Batman movie every other year, as well as a Superman movie. It'll look something like this...

2003 "Batman: Year One"

2004 "The World's Finest"

2005 'Year One' sequel

2006 a spin-off Superman movie

2007 another Batman sequel

2008 a Superman sequel

and so on. The other option is for WB to release both 'Year One' and 'World's Finest' in the same year. Release 'Year One' in May or June, followed by 'World's Finest' in December. They could start their Superman spin-off franchise a year early.

Or Jon Peters will pull off a minor miracle and actually resurrect "Superman Lives" from the dead. If that happens before any sort of pre-production begins on 'World's Finest' than WB will likely shelve the team-up movie and save it for later, after both franchises are either firmly established or running out of gas.

WB has a lot of options here, but the 'Year One' movie has to be a major hit for any of it to come to fruition. In any event, it'll definetly be interesting theater to see if all of this goes down.

4. Larry Sutliff

Thanks for the info, Terry!

Hmmm...so if BATMAN:YEAR ONE is first, does that mean the person who portrays the Dark Knight in YEAR ONE will also get the job in WORLDS FINEST? The article I read about the latter film indicates that Batman in that film is based on the character in the four existing BAT flicks. I guess that's a detail that can be tweaked by WB.

5. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

If WB does go ahead and do the 'World's Finest' movie, than don't be surprised if Petersen gets George Clooney to don the cape and cowl again. The two reportedly had a wonderful time working together on "The Perfect Storm" and Clooney has apparently wanted to redeem himself in the eyes of "Batman" fans following the travesty that was "Batman & Robin".

6. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Year one is a terrible idea. It invalidates the Batman movie from 1989. I would have rather seen a Batman movie in the style that Tim Burton so greatly presented, especially now that Schumacher and Goldsman don't have any creative input.

Whomever is cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman is fine with me as long as it's a little-known or unknown actor. Keep Ben Affleck as far away as possible from this film.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The guy who plays Brian Piccolo in the remake of "Brian's Song" has the look of a young Bruce Wayne, but I wasn't too impresed with him in "The $treet" on Fox last yer.
    We need to find a way to cast Jennifer Connelly in this film (even if she's doing Ang Lee's "The Incredible Hulk" film) [​IMG]

8. Larry Sutliff

9. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

My enthusiasm for the YEAR ONE movie is already dimming. Early reports say that they are working on designs for the Batmobile and the Joker.
    Um...hello? Neither the "Batmobile" nor the Joker appear in the story, at least not in the comics I read. If they can't muster the respect to do a faithful adaptation of the story, don't do it at all. [​IMG]

10. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Clooney keeps saying in interviews that he "killed the Batman franchise". I agree that the movie was horrible and he was actually ok in the movie. The main problem was Joel Schumacher. He seemed to be going for some sort of fetish art flick rather than a coherent action movie.

I think WB should do with 'Year One' what they did with the first Superman movie. Hire a soap actor (or any complete unknown) and turn him into Bruce Wayne/Batman like they did with Christopher Reeve in turning him into Superman.

With Ben Affleck already playing Daredevil, no one needs to worry about him donning the cape and cowl anytime soon.

11. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

I actually thought Val Kilmer was the best of the Batmans. However, Batman and Batman Returns were the best movies, with Batman being the best of the 4.

12. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

13. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

I also thought Kilmer was the best Batman, but Keaton was better as Bruce Wayne in my opinion. Kilmer had no equel in the cape and cowl. He had the right amount of arrogance to play Batman. Keaton captured the tortured qualities of Wayne better than Kilmer did though. Still, Kilmer "looked" more the part than Keaton, which is no disrespect to how Keaton played the role.

The first one is clearly the best one, with a nod going to "Batman Returns" for how ballsy a movie it was, considering how dark a story it was. Kilmer was one of the few good things about "Batman Forever" and don't even get me started on the train wreck we know as B&R.

14. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Year one is a terrible idea. It invalidates the Batman movie from 1989."

I sure hope so!! Burton was SO off on his adaption of Hamms story(the novelization was very good IMHO). After not seeing Batman for years,I bought the DVD and returned it I hated it so much.

I remember cringing and sinking in my chair when Keaton said "Im Batman".Burtons and Keatons improvised "Lets get nuts" scene made me want to strangle them both.Terrible!

Speaking of Aint It Cool News, there was a review ripped apart the new Year One adaption by Miller ad Aronofsky - I really hope they get it right this time - and I will NEVER understand why WB didnt have Dini write a Batman script since he obvisouly has more of a understanding of the character than any one else in that company.

16. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

I really must chime in here.

I liked the 1989 Batman film, but I never got over the butchering that was the plot. The origin of the joker, and the fact that he killed the Wayne's kept this movie from being great (from a comics fan's perspective). I understand the need for literary license and the ability to draw moviegoers, but if only the writers could create the Dark Knight that we all know and love, this could be a great franchise, IMHO. Writing is important, and if Frank Miller is involved here, then they have my attention. I just hope that they cast an effective leading man. Batman needs to be imposing, a world-class fighter, as well as the world's greatest detective. So far, again IMHO, they haven't gotten it exactly right...

17. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

My wish for these new films is to be more like the Animated Series. Now that was Batman. The show respected Batman's comic book origins, as well as the dark mood set by Frank Miller's ground-breaking comic "The Dark Knight Returns".

Tim Burton got the tone right with the first two "Batman" movies, but the plots were incoherent at best. Here's hoping that Darren Aronofsky nails the material.

18. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

I'm hoping that a Batman/Superman film is created and does well, so that "The Dark Knight Returns" is filmed!

8^B

19. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

With the right director, a "Dark Knight Returns" movie would be epic.

20. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Who would be a good guy to do that? Maybe Tim Burton again? I liked what he did with the first two Batman movies. I liked their dark character. The Batman Forever wasn't too bad. But Batman and Robin was brutal.