What's new

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I watched the Ultimate Edition this weekend and I agree that this is the version that should have been in theaters. It's kinda of ridiculous what they did to the theatrical version.

I agree with the points Josh layed out above. The story flows much better and simply makes more sense. If you don't like their interpretation of the characters in the films, the UE won't change that. But this "complete" cut works much better as a film. Period.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I watched the Uktimate Edition this weekend and I agree that this is the version that should have been in theaters. It's kinda of ridiculous what they did to the theatrical version.

I agree with the points Josh layer out above. The story flows much better and simply makes more sense. If you don't like their interpretation of the characters in the films, the UE won't change that. But this "complete" cut works much better as a film. Period.
Overtime someone says the extended version makes it a better movie it pisses me off. The better version is not in 3D. Just one more nail in the 3D coffin.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Overtime someone says the extended version makes it a better movie it pisses me off. The better version is not in 3D. Just one more nail in the 3D coffin.

And the better version wasn't released in theaters either. Why go anymore when you know you're getting the edited version of a better movie that will be released later to home video.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And the better version wasn't released in theaters either. Why go anymore when you know you're getting the edited version of a better movie that will be released later to home video.
That the extended version is better than the theatrical version, is an exception, I believe. I've read many times on the HTF how the "director's cut" just add footage for the sake of adding footage to increase the blu ray sales.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Technically it WAS released in theaters - a one night stand on June 27th in select cities around the U.S.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Josh I think you said you don't like a Batman that lives in a world that includes supernatural things. What was supernatural ?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh I think you said you don't like a Batman that lives in a world that includes supernatural things. What was supernatural ?

Superman, Wonder Woman and Doomsday. Maybe supernatural isn't the right word. I loved what Christopher Nolan did with Batman and I wish we could have gotten another decade of those.

That said, after seeing the extended version of BvS, I enjoyed the whole thing a lot more. It wouldn't be my first choice of a Batman story to tell...but I liked a lot more of it. The first half in particular was very compelling and it was interesting to watch Bruce Wayne in the world of Man Of Steel. I was more on board with the concept after seeing the longer version of the movie.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
That the extended version is better than the theatrical version, is an exception, I believe. I've read many times on the HTF how the "director's cut" just add footage for the sake of adding footage to increase the blu ray sales.

Perhaps. But I am now wondering if I should bother seeing "Suicide Squad" in the theater or wait for the R rated version which will probably be released on BD

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Perhaps. But I am now wondering if I should bother seeing "Suicide Squad" in the theater or wait for the R rated version which will probably be released on BD

I'm not so sure. With BvS, even before the movie was out in theaters, they announced that an R-rated extended cut would be released on disc. I haven't heard any similar announcements for this title.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
According to Wikipedia, the run time for Suicide Squad is 2 hours and 3 minutes so it's not like they're fighting to keep it at a certain length like BVS was. To me, that indicates if there is an extended cut of SS, it'll be scenes that are fun for fans but they're largely inconsequential.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
According to Wikipedia, the run time for Suicide Squad is 2 hours and 3 minutes so it's not like they're fighting to keep it at a certain length like BVS was. To me, that indicates if there is an extended cut of SS, it'll be scenes that are fun for fans but they're largely inconsequential.
Hmm. According to Rotten Tomatoes it's only 100 minutes long. And IMDb says 130 minutes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. According to Rotten Tomatoes it's only 100 minutes long. And IMDb says 130 minutes.
The website for the theater I go to also has it listed at 123 minutes. They're usually pretty good with running times so I'm guessing it's 2:03 is correct. Either way, if it's in the neighborhood of 2 hours to 2:15, they most likely didn't have to cut the movie with a machete to get it down to a manageable time like BVS did.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The website for the theater I go to also has it listed at 123 minutes. They're usually pretty good with running times so I'm guessing it's 2:03 is correct. Either way, if it's in the neighborhood of 2 hours to 2:15, they most likely didn't have to cut the movie with a machete to get it down to a manageable time like BVS did.

Well, if not time, what about cuts made to get a PG-13

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Warner dropped the ball. The longer cut should have been the theatrical release (if they truly wanted to avoid an R, I estimate fewer than 2 minutes, a few frames at a time, could be excised for that purpose). Wouldn't satisfy those who don't like the basic premise but, and I say this as a fan of the shorter cut, it's clear that Snyder intended the longer one to be the film. Much like Kingdom of Heaven should have been released in its long form, so too should BvS.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I doubt we ever see any of the main DCEU or MCU films anything but PG-13 theatrically. They need the younger audience. (And I fully believe that if they had released the 3-hr BvS theatrically as the only version they would have tweaked it slightly to be PG-13)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched the Ultimate Edition last night and it's a vastly different movie IMO. I was someone who was expecting the worst when I saw the theatrical version earlier this year, but I was surprised to find I liked it, although I certainly didn't love it. While there are additional things to like in the Ultimate Edition, I have to say I prefer the theatrical. The UE tends to jump around a lot, even more than the theatrical, despite the fact that many of the UE's scenes are longer and more substantial.

The bottom line, for me, is that BvS (either version) is a decent beginning to the DC film universe, but the movie commits the greatest sin a comic book movie ever could: it takes itself much too seriously and therefore, isn't fun.

EDIT: My wife, who did not see the theatrical cut and was even more negative on the movie than I initially was going in, watched the UE with me. I asked her what she thought, and she said, to my surprise, "I liked it!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks